Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

No problem at all Fermando. I understand totally, and please forgive me for the lengthy (and sometime misdirected) nature of my post. I'm going to put it in a spoiler so that it doesn't take up space on this thread. I really appreciate the clarity and help that your thread gives. Sorry for the torture ... that was not an unfair choice of word. I feel the same way. My AMI bios uses its own set of terms. I need to break it down into a bunch of smaller single issue threads.

Highest Regards! for your help and for the value of your time.

@ Molecule:

This is what I suggest to do:

1. Connect the HDD/SSD, where you want to get your OS installed, to any of the Intel SATA ports (best choice: port 0, which probably is the AHCI SATA port 1).

2. If you have an optical drive (CD/DVD burner), connect it to one of the JMicron SATA ports running in IDE mode (optical drives usually do not like other SATA modes than IDE)..

3. Enter the BIOS and let it load the DEFAULT settings.

4. Enable "AHCI" for the Intel SATA ports.

5. Create a bootable XP CD or USB stick with integrated 32bit Intel AHCI driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL (just choose the "Intel® ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller" while nLite's textmode driver integration).

6. Enjoy Windows XP running in AHCI mode.

Hello Gabriel,

welcome at MSFN Forum!

This is what I recommend to do:

1. Download >this< driverpack, unzip it and integrate it into your XP x64 source.

2. When you get the nLite TEXTMODE driver popup window, just highlight the listed "Intel® 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller".

3. Let nLite create an ISO image.

4. Create a bootable CD or a bootable flash device containing the XP x64 image with integrated 64bit Intel AHCI driver.

5. Boot off the CD resp. flash device and install Windows XP x64 where you want

6. Enjoy XP x64.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Fernando

Hello Fernando.

Thank you. I choose the specified driver Intel® 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller. After integrating some of the drivers, at the end, nLite gave me an error (which did not appears when using Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller, very strange)

”D-The specified path, filename, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters. Please report this error if it's unexpected. Write your message in English and attach your 'Last Session.ini' if possible”

I found another topic here, with another person who has the same error as me. I hope that a solution exists.

Thank you and Happy New Year also ! :-)

I choose the specified driver Intel® 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller.
That is a Controller name and no driver. The TEXTMODE driver popup window shows a lot of different SATA Controllers and the user has to decide, which of them should be supported by the integrated TEXTMODE driver (here named iaStor.sys).
After integrating some of the drivers,
I always recommend to integrate just the needed TEXTMODE driver and not some or a lot of drivers. Only the TEXTMODE driver is absolutely needed, the integration of each additional driver enhances the risk of a failure.
at the end, nLite gave me an error (which did not appears when using Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller, very strange) ”D-The specified path, filename, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.
I bet, that you had stored the drivers within any of your personal folders (worst place is the desktop).
I found another topic here, with another person who has the same error as me.
Yes, you are not the first user with that issue.
I hope that a solution exists.
Solution: Create a folder named "Drivers" within the root of a partition and store there just the drivers you want to integrate (each driver within a separate subfolder). Don't use the "Multiple driver integration" option of nLite.

Solution: Create a folder named "Drivers" within the root of a partition and store there just the drivers you want to integrate (each driver within a separate subfolder). Don't use the "Multiple driver integration" option of nLite.

Hello Fernando,

It's fine now. Thank you!

After creating the "Drivers" folder in the root, nLite functioned normally. I think it's a bug of nLite (to integrate multiple drivers in certain conditions even if a single driver is selected), because I always choosed the single driver option. After working in root, the bug dissapeared.

I have only one question: why XP doesn't recognize the disk with Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller, and it's OK with Intel® 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller ? Nevertheless, with both of them, I have no more BSOD.

Best Regards,

Gabriel

Hello Gabriel,

it is fine, that you succeeded with the XP installation after having changed the driver storage folder.

I have only one question: why XP doesn't recognize the disk with Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller, and it's OK with Intel® 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller ?
Both Intel SATA AHCI Controllers belong to a Z77 chipset mainboard, but these Z77 chipsets are slightly different. The "Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family" has been designed for desktop pcs, whereas the "Intel® 7 Series Chipset Family" is built on laptops.

Kind Regards

Fernando

Both Intel SATA AHCI Controllers belong to a Z77 chipset mainboard, but these Z77 chipsets are slightly different. The "Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family" has been designed for desktop pcs, whereas the "Intel® 7 Series Chipset Family" is built on laptops.

Kind Regards

Fernando

Hello,

I understand, I have laptop. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Gabriel

Fernando ... in advance, thanks so much for your help. Couple of quick questions ...

I use RyanVM to integrate update packs and addons, and then nLite for final setup.

1. When I integrate the oem drivers from >32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL<, nLite does not create a $OEM$ structure, but rather it cabs up the driver files (5) and puts them in a new folder I386\NLDRV\001\ iaahci.ca_, iaahck.in_, iastor.ca_, iastor.in_, iastor.sy_. The files are then identified in (and installed during textmode from?) [sourceDiskFiles] section of I386\TXTSETUP.SIF. Under prior nLited sources, nLite creates $OEM$ and includes batch file cmdlines.txt, which then calls nlite.inf. Maybe the change occured because of adding or deleting another tweak ... arghhh) I'd still like to setup a $OEM$ folder for other setup options ... not textmode drivers. I had read somewhere (where I can't recall ...?) that might be a problem.

Question: If I integrate AHCI textmode drivers with nLite, can I still use $OEM$ features for post GUI ... even if some hacking is still required?

2. If I set bios to AHCI, and then a plug in an old PATA hdd to transfrer files from my current Windows system (98se), will the new AHCI drivers in XP be able to read and write to my old IDE hdds?

3. If I speed test AHCI and compare to IDE (running a simple entertainment workstation) and want to revert back to straight IDE (some say it's faster, and local commercial builders still use IDE even on windows 7 and 8), will I need to reformat and/or reinstall, or can I delete AHCI drivers from XP-Device Manager, then reboot to BIOS, switch hdds down from AHCI to IDE and reboot to XP ... will XP recognize the existing hdds as new hardware, and install its native XP-IDE drivers, even thought it the textmode AHCI drivers are available (but not selected)? edit -- the quesiton is not how to do that (that's another thread) .. just asking if you know if it's possible.

4. While feeding textmode drivers into nlite, nLite apparently read the [scsi] section of Intel's txtsetup.oem. It makes a list of available systems and asks me to select. I have MSI P43neo3F with ICH10R chip. On the nLite list, I chose only one, namely "Intel® ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller." I noticed that I'm choosing AHCI only. Two other possible selections had ACHI and RAID, namely "Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller" and "Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller." I chose only the ICH10R AHCI controller ... is that right?

5. If I install only AHCI for the ICH10R, then in that case do I still have an option to install RAID ... as long as I do the correct additonal steps (edit -- as example only, details not part of the question, like, connect raid hdds, set bios to raid, enter the bios-raid setup, setup bios-raid, install XP, and then after installation run the Intel raid management wizard, and etc., and etc., ... long list possible and thus not a part of this question ... only asking if, by installing only AHCI for the ICH10R chip, do I still have the option to add RAID if I want to (how to do it is another quesiton)?

6. I used a program to extract the motherboard +video +printer +scanner drivers from a IDE install (JMicron JMB36X, Intel P43 INF chipset, Realtek LAN, Realtek audio, nVidia video, etc.). When use nLite to compile a build sourse with these drivers, XP boots with all drivers running. Question ... can I feed textmode AHCI drivers to nLite and then also feed remaining drivers as above, so that I get AHCI and other systems working as well (or will that make a confilct, and thus require manual install of other drivers)?

Thanks again in advance for your help. Happy New Year!

Edited by Molecule

@ Molecule:

Here are my answers:

1. I don't know, if it would work, but AFAIK it is not a good idea to try a mixture of the manual $OEM$ folder and the nLite integration method.
    If you want to get the TEXTMODE driver integrated into an $OEM$ folder, you should better use a tool like XP ISOBuilder or WU CD Creator.
  2. Yes, that will work, because the P-ATA HDD will not be connected to a SATA port.
  3. It is possible to switch from AHCI to IDE mode and vice versa from without the need of a fresh OS install, but you have to change some registry entries before you are going to change the SATA mode within the BIOS. Otherwise you will get a BSOD while rebooting.
  4. The choice of the correct SATA Controller during the nLite driver integration process is very important, especially if you want to integrate an actual Intel rextmode driver.
  5. If you want to create an "All-In-One XP-CD", which will be usable with an Intel AHCI and with an Intel RAID system as well, you should integrate an Intel TEXTMODE driver of the old Matrix Storage Manager series and not an actual one.
    In case of having integrated an Intel textmode driver and highlighted just 1 of the listed Intel SATA AHCI Controllers or even all of them, an Intel RAID array will not be detected by the XP Setup. If you want to install Windows XP onto an Intel RAID array, you have to integrate the support of the related Intel SATA RAID Controller. A switch from AHCI to RAID from within a running OS is very difficult and not recommended.
  6. You can use a tool like DriverGrabber to extract all your currently in use drivers and integrate them into the XP CD by using nLite without any problems. Only exception: AHCI/RAID (=TEXTMODE) drivers need a file named TXTSETUP.OEM for a proper XP integration and no tool will be able to extract this file from an XP partition.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Fernando

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all.

I have an old Dell GX520 that will not allow me to install Win XP. It ends up with the 0x000007b error code during the instalation. I followed the original post and created installation CD for all hardware versions (For users, who don't know the specific Intel SATA Controller of their system, or want to create a Windows XP CD, which may be usable with different hardware configurations:) because I am unsure what specific driver is required. Unfortunately, the same problem happens even with the modified installation. Anyone can help please?

The motherboard should be Foxconn LS-36.

@ alexisis:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

You obviously have integrated the wrong driver or highlighted the wrong SATA Controllers.

This is the easiest way to find out the correct driver and Controller of your system:

If you are running any Windows OS with your Dell GX520, please open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable - the "Storage Controllers" section of the Device Manager and give us the informations regarding the listed SATA Controllers (names and HardwareIDs). You will get the HardwareIDs by doing a right click onto the Controller > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs". I need just the 4 digits of the VEN_XXXX and DEV_XXXX entries.

Regards

Fernando

Thank you Fernando!

Here is what I see when doing what you suggested.

There are 3 items under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section. Here are their Harware IDs.

- ATA Channel 0

Intel-27c0

Internal_IDE_Channel

- ATA Channel 1

Intel-27c0

Internal_IDE_Channel

- Intel® 82801 GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA storage Controller - 27C0

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C0&SUBSYS_01AD1028&REV_01

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C0&SUBSYS_01AD1028

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C0&CC_010180

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C0&CC_0101

I hope this helps to determine the right driver for me. Thank you!

@ alexesis:

Thanks for the HardwareIDs of the SATA Controller, which verify, that you have an Intel ICH7R SATA Controller, which is running in IDE mode. Intel's name for it is "Intel® N10/ICH7 Family Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0".

Provided that there are no entries within the "Storage Controllers" resp. "SCSI and RAID Controllers" sections of the Device Manager, there is no need for the integration of any third party SATA (AHCI/RAID) driver. You should be able to get Windows XP installed onto your Dell system by simply booting off the original XP CD with integrated SP2 or SP3.

Edited by Fernando 1