Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Using INTEL DG45ID Motherboard

How would I know if this board has JMicron S-ATA ports?

You should look into your mainboard manual.

I checked my manual and the specs i could find at Intel for the DG45ID MB no mention of JMicron.

DG45ID MB has 82801JR I/O Controller Hub (ICH10R)

Per

a ) For Intel ICH7R/M, ICH8R/M, ICH9R/M or ICH10R/D S-ATA AHCI and RAID Controllers:

New: If you are going to install the 32bit version of Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, you should download and unzip this already prepared actual 32bit Intel Controller driver package and unzip it.

I used the ones you recommened.

Are JMicron S-ATA drivers in addition to the Intel drivers for the ICH10R controller?

Can i just include them weather there needed or not and OS will incorporate them if needed?

I checked my manual and the specs i could find at Intel for the DG45ID MB no mention of JMicron.

DG45ID MB has 82801JR I/O Controller Hub (ICH10R)

Per

a ) For Intel ICH7R/M, ICH8R/M, ICH9R/M or ICH10R/D S-ATA AHCI and RAID Controllers:

New: If you are going to install the 32bit version of Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, you should download and unzip this already prepared actual 32bit Intel Controller driver package and unzip it.

I used the ones you recommened.
Everything seems to be fine. The question is, why the installation failed nevertheless.

Please post some additional details:

1. How many S-ATA/IDE hdd's and how much RAM capacity do you have? Is AHCI enabled within the BIOS?

2. Have you tested your RAM sticks by using a tool like memtest? Is your system overclocked?

2. Did you integrate more than the Intel textmode drivers? If yes, what?

Are JMicron S-ATA drivers in addition to the Intel drivers for the ICH10R controller?

Can i just include them weather there needed or not and OS will incorporate them if needed?

I do not recommend that with textmode drivers.

If you have integrated the wrong textmode driver, you won't get a BSOD, but your hdd will not be detected.

Can anyone... pleeez.... tell me where is the 64 bit / 32 bit floppy configuration utility zip file THAT CONTAINS

f6flpy64.exe ? Latest 8 / 18 / 2008...

I really really need it as the files contained in the *.exe is different from the ones in *.zip format...

If I use the *.zip file format, my Vista BSOD...

anyone pleez help.... :unsure:

Can anyone... pleeez.... tell me where is the 64 bit / 32 bit floppy configuration utility zip file THAT CONTAINS

f6flpy64.exe ? Latest 8 / 18 / 2008...

I doubt, that you will find such EXE file for the actual Intel textmode drivers, because Intel has put the v8.5.0.1032 drivers into a ZIP file.
I really really need it as the files contained in the *.exe is different from the ones in *.zip format...
Why should Intel have done different files into their ZIP and EXE packages?
If I use the *.zip file format, my Vista BSOD...
The BSOD you got probably had another reason.

(Fernando) Everything seems to be fine. The question is, why the installation failed nevertheless.

Please post some additional details:

1. How many S-ATA/IDE hdd's and how much RAM capacity do you have? Is AHCI enabled within the BIOS?

2. Have you tested your RAM sticks by using a tool like memtest? Is your system overclocked?

2. Did you integrate more than the Intel textmode drivers? If yes, what?

A1. 1 sata hdd and 1 sata dvd; 2 GB; ACHI is enabled in BIOS

if the SATA dvd was an issue what would it do

A2. System not overclock was able to load XP PRO SP2 with BIOS set to IDE.

A3. No only the text mode drivers.

Preconditions for a successful integration of the Intel S-ATA AHCI/RAID drivers:.... RAID Mode = Intel SATA RAID textmode driver necessary, RAID array must be created

Per INTEL INTEL LINK

NOTE: If you are using a SATA hard drive, the best choice is to set your BIOS to RAID mode and install the operating system using the F6 installation procedure; RAID mode allows your system to be "RAID Ready" and also enables AHCI. This mode provides the greatest overall flexibility and upgradeability.

So in BIOS SATA is set to RAID mode. (this worked on my home computer, but dvd is IDE)

In nLite per instructions both iaACHI.inf and iaStor.inf are integrated.

per your instructions

Important:

a ) Make sure, that the "Textmode driver" Mode is enabled.

b ) You can and maybe have to highlight more than 1 Controller.Have a look into your mainboard manual to find the exact name of your S-ATA Controller and search for it within the list.

Click onto the Intel SATA Controller(s), which is/are suitable for your mainboard BIOS settings regarding the Intel S-ATA ports (SATA RAID or SATA AHCI), your mainboard chipset (ICH7, ICH8, ICH9 or ICH10) and your system ("Desktop"=PC, "Mobile"=Laptop, Server or Workstation).

Tip:

If you are not sure, which of the listed Controllers are the suitable one(s) for your chipset, enable all of them (Windows Setup will find and install the correct driver).

I selected ICH10R SATA ACHI and ICH10D/DO SATA ACHI CONTROLLER.

Why isn't Intel® 82801R/DO/DH SATA RAID Controller also listed?

@ 1abnerd:

Although the user XIII succeeded with this combination, I am nearly sure, that your problem has been caused by your SATA connected DVD device, which is not correctly working when set in AHCI or RAID mode. There are only a few optical drives with a SATA connector, which are running fine with AHCI or RAID.

If you want to run your S-ATA hdd in AHCI (or RAID) mode, you should either connect your DVD device to a S-ATA port with a non-Intel chip (if available) or replace your optical drive by an IDE connected one.

Edited by Fernando 1

Although the user XIII succeeded with this combination, I am nearly sure, that your problem has been caused by your SATA connected DVD device, which is not correctly working when set in AHCI or RAID mode. There are only a few optical drives with a SATA connector, which are running fine with AHCI or RAID.

Ah, for once I'm lucky with my choice of hardware then...

If anyone else wants to try his/her luck: the DVD is an LG GH20NS10.

What is difference between ACHI and RAID controller ? When I get the nLite textmode driver popup window, I should choose between INTEL ICH8M S-ATA RAID Controller and INTEL ICH8M S-ATA ACHI Controller....but I don't know which to choose, as I'm not sure is RAID running ? Should I change some settings in BIOS for SATA before installing XP with drivers integrated ?

I got ASUS M50Vm, in specifications, it's written "500GB SATA HDD", and I don't know is it running on RAID or ACHI...

What is difference between ACHI and RAID controller?
A RAID array is special conjunction of 2 or more hdd's and will be seen as 1 single device. If you only have 1 hdd, you probably don't have a RAID system.
When I get the nLite textmode driver popup window, I should choose between INTEL ICH8M S-ATA RAID Controller and INTEL ICH8M S-ATA ACHI Controller....but I don't know which to choose, as I'm not sure is RAID running ? Should I change some settings in BIOS for SATA before installing XP with drivers integrated ?

I got ASUS M50Vm, in specifications, it's written "500GB SATA HDD", and I don't know is it running on RAID or ACHI...

The correct controller for you obviously is the "INTEL ICH8M S-ATA AHCI Controller", but if you would enable the "INTEL ICH8M S-ATA RAID Controller too, it doesn't matter at all.

I have a P5B with ICH8 and i installed driver "8.5.0.1032 mod by fernando" simply with F6/floppy. HD is in AHCI mode...

It's OK! In recent months has always been so good! :thumbup Thank you!

You are welcome. It's fine, that you succeeded getting the AHCI mode with your ICH8 chipset, which officially doesn't support AHCI.
Now I wanted to ask: It's necessary to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager? No? if I try to install it gives me error.
You don't need and even will not be able to install the complete Intel Matrix Storage Manager application, because you don't use RAID.

Thank you!

Fernando 1 -- Thanks for being a global resource on this seemingly complex topic. I've been working on downgrading my new HP a6512p PC from Vista to XP. So far, HP and Microsoft are winning. This is a 64 bit processor machine and HP doesn't offer XP drivers for it. It uses the Intel G33 chipset and the HD is set up using the ICH9R onboard controller. I can't seem to get the HD drivers installed to work. Using the 64 bit driver set (via the embedded link) and the F6 install method, I get a message that "iaStore.sys is corrupted." Using the 32 bit driver set (via the embedded link and the F6 method, XP gets well into its install only to fail when trying to start up on itown for the first time. It appears the system can't find the HD...only remedy is to restore Vista and try again.

Any clues anybody? Much appreciative if you can help me get the score to be SpeedRacer 1, Microsoft 0.

@ SpeedRacer:

1. If you want to install a 32bit OS like Windows XP you have to use the 32bit version of the Intel textmode drivers. Otherwise you will get the error message "The file iaStor.sys is corrupt".

2. Why did you load the drivers by F6/floppy method? This is the nLite Forum and my guide contains all needed informations about how to successfully integrate the Intel textmode drivers.

Fernando 1 -- Thanks for being a global resource on this seemingly complex topic. I've been working on downgrading my new HP a6512p PC from Vista to XP. So far, HP and Microsoft are winning. This is a 64 bit processor machine and HP doesn't offer XP drivers for it. It uses the Intel G33 chipset and the HD is set up using the ICH9R onboard controller. I can't seem to get the HD drivers installed to work. Using the 64 bit driver set (via the embedded link) and the F6 install method, I get a message that "iaStore.sys is corrupted." Using the 32 bit driver set (via the embedded link and the F6 method, XP gets well into its install only to fail when trying to start up on itown for the first time. It appears the system can't find the HD...only remedy is to restore Vista and try again.

Any clues anybody? Much appreciative if you can help me get the score to be SpeedRacer 1, Microsoft 0.

I have approximately the same issue.

I have tried to install XP professional (32-bit) in a dualboot config next to Vista 64-bit, which came with my PC.

My PC is an HP Pavilion Elite m9350.be (for Belgium). It's a Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5 Ghz machine and it has, as far as I know, one 750 GB SATA 3G disk, the INtel g33 express chipset, 4Gb DDR2 SDRAM. the motherboard is an ASUS IPIBL-LB, name HP/Compaq Benicia-GL8E. In the BIOS, the HD is set to RAID.

I can perfectly install XP with the BOIS set to IDE. The only other option I have then, is to either enable or disable the second SATA controller. I leave it enabled.

XP will only boot with the BIOS set to IDE, and Vista will only boot with RAID.

I have tried to install the drivers automatically (unpacking, then installing the INF file), which doesn't work, and I've also tried to use the floppy method with F6 (USB drive), where I could select the driver. Then XP starts copying files, and when it wants to copy the Iastor.sys file and the three others it needs, it tells me they can't be installed. Maybe this is because I didn't ask it to install the chipset driver? I have no idea. I'm not really into this either (have learned a lot over the past week though), but now I want to try with nlite, which is basically the only option I have left. I have read through the forum, the guides, the faq... and I have already downloaded everything I need on a small external drive (Lacie LittleDisk). I am going to try to slipstream SP3, the Intel chipset and the SATA drivers. I presume I'm going to have trouble with the SATA drivers if I don't slipstream SP3.

Anyway, if this works, I will become religious again, and you'll by my God. Let's see tonight...

I will get started in about two hours. If anyone reads this and has some important pointers... I'll check back before I start. I'm new at this, but eager to learn!

If you'll excuse me now, I have some praying to do.

@ simphot:

You will succeed with the installation of Windows XP, if your in use S-ATA Controllers are from Intel and you follow my guide.

The chances are the best, if you remove 2 GB of RAM before you begin with the OS installation (you can reinsert them after having completed the XP Setup).