Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

i created the XP CD including the textmode driver (ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI) according to your guide (i wasn't able to check my BIOS setting before the installation since nothing was mentioned in the BIOS) and it worked :yes:

XP has detected my hard drives and i finished the installation on the E drive

It's fine, that you succeeded. So even if you should decide to erase Vista from your computer, you now know, that you are able to get XP successfully installed.
now the problem is that i cannot boot into vista anymore.
That's normal. The reason is, that the older OS (XP) eliminates the Vista bootloader.

You can repair the Vista bootloader either by booting of a Vista DVD and choosing the "Repair" option or by installing a tool like EasyBCD (prior installation of MS Framework 2.0 or higher is needed).

i don't want to have a dual boot, i just want to keep only XP how can i do it?
If you don't want a dual boot option at all, you should do the following:

1. Boot off the just created XP CD with integrated textmode driver.

2. When you are asked where to install, choose drive C (where your Vista is installed now).

3. Do a quick NTFS format of drive C when prompted.

4. Let Setup complete the installation.

Once XP is up, you can run the Disk Management and format drive E (where your first XP installation is).

This way you have got an XP singe boot system.

If you want to change the size of the different partitions or reunite the drives E and F, you should use a tool like Acronis Disk Director Suite (the XP Disk Management may no be able to do it).

but before that i need to make sure that i'm using the AHCI Mode (and not the IDE one) to get advantage of the Intel S-ATA Controller features AHCI can i find out this without the BIOS check?
Run the Device Manager and look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section. If you see a device named "Intel ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" (or similar), you can be sure, that the AHCI features are enabled.

Regards

Fernando

EDIT: If I were you, I would not erase Vista. Even if you don't want a dual boot system now, the drive C (where Vista is now) would be a wonderful place to get Windows 7 installed one day.....

Recenly baught the dv5-1233se (Vista installed), Installed the windows XP. With the SATA driver from the USB floppy drive.I did something wrong & Installing gain the WIndows XP 64 bit, and suddenly boot menu was not coming. I was not able to install Vista with the recovery CDs. Any time I am trying to boot the system HP invent screen comes nothing happens.

HP Replaced the hard drive two times (Saying the problem with the hard drive).......... Now may be they will be replacing the third time, but I like to know what the issue is?

@ Randhir:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

I do not really understand your problem and how I would be able to help you. The installation of any OS cannot be responsable for the failure to restore your Vista installation.

Why did you completely quote my last post? Do you have a similar question/problem as Djasmin?

What exactly have you done? Did you install XP or XP x64? Which driver did you load via F6/floppy? Why didn't you follow my guide by integrating the textmode driver into the OS CD?

CU

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Hi Fernando,

i'm trying to deinstall vista from Pavilion DV7-1112eg and install XP.

The BIOS has no option enable/disable AHCI.

I need the JMicron JMB38X textmode drivers.

I found "JMB38X_WinDrv_R1.00.19_WHQL" and "JMB38X_WinDrv_R1.00.21_WHQL".

But not with textmode drivers.

Can You help?

Many thanks in advance.

@ weili:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Hi Fernando,

Why do you think, that you need these ones?

JMicron JMB38X drivers are just supporting JMicron Flash Media, but no SATA Controllers.

If you really should need JMicron textmode drivers, you have to take these JMicron JMB36X RAID drivers.

At first step you have to find out, to which sort of SATA Controller your hard disk drive is connected and if it is set to RAID or AHCI Mode.

Are you still able to run Vista? If yes, open the Device Manager and look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and "Storage Controllers" sections.

Which Controllers -besides the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller"- do you see?

@ weili:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Hi Fernando,

Why do you think, that you need these ones?

JMicron JMB38X drivers are just supporting JMicron Flash Media, but no SATA Controllers.

If you really should need JMicron textmode drivers, you have to take these JMicron JMB36X RAID drivers.

At first step you have to find out, to which sort of SATA Controller your hard disk drive is connected and if it is set to RAID or AHCI Mode.

Are you still able to run Vista? If yes, open the Device Manager and look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and "Storage Controllers" sections.

Which Controllers -besides the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller"- do you see?

Hi Fernando,

thank you for the fast answer.

Vista Device Manager

===============

Entry at "IDE ATA/ATAPI-Controller"

-----------------------------

ATA Channel 0

up to

ATA channel 5

Standard AHCI1.0 Serieller-ATA-Controller

Standard-Zweikanal-PCI-IDE-Controller

Entry at "Speichercontroller"

---------------------

JMB38X Controller (thats why i think i need these ones)

Microsoft iSCSI-Initiator

Regards

Weili

Vista Device Manager

===============

---------------------

No, that's the Flash Media Controller and used by the card reader.

It seems to me, that you don't need to integrate any textmode driver.

My advice:

Try to boot off the original XP-CD and look, if your SATA hdd will be detected or not.

If the XP Setup should not see your hdd and its partitions, you should integrate this 32bit Intel textmode driver and highlight all listed Intel SATA AHCI Controllers during the integration procedure.

Good luck!

Fernando

Vista Device Manager

===============

---------------------

No, that's the Flash Media Controller and used by the card reader.

It seems to me, that you don't need to integrate any textmode driver.

My advice:

Try to boot off the original XP-CD and look, if your SATA hdd will be detected or not.

If the XP Setup should not see your hdd and its partitions, you should integrate this 32bit Intel textmode driver and highlight all listed Intel SATA AHCI Controllers during the integration procedure.

Good luck!

Fernando

No, that's not the required controller driver.

This driver is required for "Intel ICH7 to ICH10 Controller" but there is no entry in Vista under "IDE ATA/ATAPI-Controller".

All ends with a BSOD.

"Stop 0x0000007B"-Fehlermeldung (Probleme mit Gerätetreibern)

The "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serieller-ATA-Controller" driver is from MS.

Any way to get it form MS or from the Vista DVD?

Again many thanks

weili

@ weili:

Have you already tried to get XP installed by booting off the original XP SP3 CD (without integrating or loading any textmode driver)?

How much RAM does your notebook have?

Another idea:

Run a hardware diagnostic tool like Everest to find out the chipset and the Southbridge details of your notebook.

Off Topic: If you want my guide and my support in German language, you should go here and here.

Edited by Fernando 1

@ weili:

Have you already tried to get XP installed by booting off the original XP SP3 CD (without integrating or loading any textmode driver)?

How much RAM does your notebook have?

Another idea:

Run a hardware diagnostic tool like Everest to find out the chipset and the Southbridge details of your notebook.

Off Topic: If you want my guide and my support in German language, you should go here and here.

Yes, I have tried XP SP3 CD and XP x64 SP2 with and without textmode driver.

The notebock have 3GB RAM.

I will check the hardware with a diag tool.

Then I comeback on your German support. :-)

Vielen, Vielen Dank!

weili

• 2 weeks later...

THANK U FERNANDO, i had no idea what was wrong with my computer and had NO idea what to do for like 2 weeks now!!!

i am so close to fixing it, the only problem i have is i have NO IDEA what SATA driver i need, i mean the vaio site doesnt tell me and i tried talking to an online rep and in short, he said they didnt know either. From a different site i found that supposedly its an intel ich9m-E/M SATA AHCI, BUT this is for 32 bit vista, my computer came with 64 bit vista and all it said for its sata driver was original intel SATA -_- i am SO confused. I have nLite and everything ready, i just need these darn drivers !! ahh sry just 2 weeks without my baby has made me crazy lol, plz help :-)

sry i forgot to mention my computer is a VAIO vgn-fw170J

originally ran 64 bit vista premium home and student edition

4 gigz of ram

320 gigz of memory

and it currently has no operating system

thanks in advance

@ rlj399:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Why don't you just follow my guide? If you want to create a Windows XP CD with integrated Intel SATA AHCI drivers, you should just take the 32bit version of the Intel textmode driver I have linked to within my guide.

By the way: The Intel SATA drivers can be used with Vista and XP, but you should not mix the 32bit and 64bit drivers.

Attention:

If you should get troubles during the XP installation, I recommend to remove 2 GB of RAM before you start the XP installation. You can reinsert them after the installation is completed.

Good luck!

Fernando

ah, ok it went well, the only thing i was hesitant about was using the 32 bit driver on my 64 bit computer but it all went well, no problems with the ram, the only problem i have now is trying to find drivers for all my other hardware T_T everytime i try to install my hardware it says "this can only be used on vista"

the only thing i was hesitant about was using the 32 bit driver on my 64 bit computer
The 64bit capable CPU allows you to install 32bit and 64bit Operating Systems, but if you install a 32bit OS, you should never try to install a 64bit driver (and vice versa a 64bit OS absolutely requires 64bit drivers).
the only problem i have now is trying to find drivers for all my other hardware T_T everytime i try to install my hardware it says "this can only be used on vista"
At first step you should run the insataller of the Intel chipset driver package ("INF Update Utility"). You can get the actual driverpack here. Edited by Fernando 1

ok, i downloaded and installed the intel chipset file you just told me about, but now what 0_o

(by the way, Im on my dads computer, the one Im working on doesnt have internet because it doesnt recognize any hardware)