Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Ok, with the cd made from the drivers on the first page, I got tons of errors when copying files
This indicates either a bad blank CD or a bad burning (too high speed?).

EDIT: Fine, that you succeeded at least.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Is there any information i can give you from the WIN 7 x32 i can boot from that might be of help?
Yes, please have a look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable - the "Storage Controllers" sections of the Device Manager.

Which Controllers do you see there? Please post just the names.

Another question you didn't yet answer to: Did you really get a BSOD, when you tried to boot off the original XP x64 CD after having set the SATA Controllers to "IDE" mode?

Yes i got a BSOD :( with the XP x64 CD set to IDE mode in BIOS.

The IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS in my WIN 7 x32 says:

ATA Channel 0

ATA Channel 0

ATA Channel 1

ATA Channel 1

Intel® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C08

Intel® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C00

Storage Controllers : IDE\DiskWDC_WD1502FAEX-007BA0___________________05.01D05

I hope that helps....

Thank you so much again for taking the time to help everybody here!!! :)

Pablo

Hello Pablo,

thanks for the details of your Win7 Device Manager.

The "IDE ATA/ATAPA Controllers" section entries verify, that your computer is currently running in IDE and not in AHCI mode. Your actual SATA Controller setting is not a good idea, because you will get far better performance, if you would run your hdd in AHCI mode.

The entry of your WD hdd within the "Storage Controllers" section seems to be wrong (should be within the "Drives" section). Please check, if you really see a "Storage Controllers" section, when you open the Win7 Device Manager.

According to your present BIOS settings it should be no problem to get Windows XP x64 SP2 installed by booting off the original XP x64 CD, because the SATA Controllers running in IDE mode do not need any third party SATA driver.

Please enter the BIOS and check the settings within the "Integrated Peripherals":

• "eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD) > should always be "Disabled"
  • "PCH SATA Control Mode" > will currently be "IDE", has to be set to "AHCI", if you want the AHCI features
  • "SATA Port0-3 Native Mode" > should be "Disabled", if you want to run all SATA Controllers in clean IDE (LEGACY) mode, but has to be set to "Enabled", if you want the AHCI features.

Before you are going to change the "PCH SATA Control Mode" setting to "AHCI", you should read and possibly print >this< Microsoft web site. Otherwise you may not be able to boot into Windows 7 anymore.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new Toshiba model C655D-S5007, 64bit, AMD processor. Windows 7 installed.

I want to dual boot Windows XP Pro. Will the Intel drivers work with the AMD processor or do I need to take a different tack?

Also, is it possible to slipstream the missing drivers into SP3 files?

Thank you for any help you may provide.

Your guide, Fernando1, matches what I do, just with a lot more detail, and is your usual excellent reference material. I've learned quite a bit from you over the years stumbling across your guides, so many many thanks :)

Adding the MSM drivers to an XP SP3 installer definitely isn't a problem, I've been using nLite for a long time -- I was my community's go-to man for upgrading brand new laptops from Vista to XP and built many a customised XP disc for the new owners with AHCI support and all the XP drivers for their otherwise-not-supported machines.

My question this time relates to hot-plug eSATA with the ICH chips and XP, specifically the ICH10R in my latest upgrade, a Core 2 Quad living in a GA-EP45-UD3R. How the bleedin' 'eck can it be enabled?!

I have no problems getting "hotswap" capability on the EP45 with Windows 7 -- I've even learned how to designate which of the ICH10R's ports can be hotswap and which ones are not. Once set up and all but a pair of ports set to "TreatAsInternalPort" (via a small bit of manual registry tweaking I learned) it works and works well. Drives in my external cradles connected to the hotswap-capable ports appear under "Safely remove device" and spin down for ejection, and a fresh drive will be mounted when I pop it in. The only problem is that I can't use Windows 7 for my main computing task (music production) because of the way the Win7 WASAPI layer plays havoc with multiple audio channels that require perfect precision and extremely low latency -- for music, I still use XP Professional SP3 32-bit.

Now, for the life of me, I can not get any ICH10R SATA port to be hot-pluggable under XP! I have read and read til my eyes go square, I have made dozens of variations of an AHCI-bearing XP installer, I've tried manual driver shifts, many different versions of the Intel software, but nothing has ever worked.

If you can shed any light on this peculiarity, and let me enjoy eSATA as it was intended, I wll be eternally grateful!

@ Hyram:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Usually you should be able to use the hot plugging feature with all drives (except the system drive), if you have set the related SATA port to AHCI mode.

Please check your mainboard manual and the BIOS settings regarding the eSATA port. Maybe it needs another AHCI drive.

By the way: Your question has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Regards

Fenando

Hello Pablo,

thanks for the details of your Win7 Device Manager.

The "IDE ATA/ATAPA Controllers" section entries verify, that your computer is currently running in IDE and not in AHCI mode. Your actual SATA Controller setting is not a good idea, because you will get far better performance, if you would run your hdd in AHCI mode.

The entry of your WD hdd within the "Storage Controllers" section seems to be wrong (should be within the "Drives" section). Please check, if you really see a "Storage Controllers" section, when you open the Win7 Device Manager.

According to your present BIOS settings it should be no problem to get Windows XP x64 SP2 installed by booting off the original XP x64 CD, because the SATA Controllers running in IDE mode do not need any third party SATA driver.

Please enter the BIOS and check the settings within the "Integrated Peripherals":

• "eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD) > should always be "Disabled"
  • "PCH SATA Control Mode" > will currently be "IDE", has to be set to "AHCI", if you want the AHCI features
  • "SATA Port0-3 Native Mode" > should be "Disabled", if you want to run all SATA Controllers in clean IDE (LEGACY) mode, but has to be set to "Enabled", if you want the AHCI features.

Before you are going to change the "PCH SATA Control Mode" setting to "AHCI", you should read and possibly print >this< Microsoft web site. Otherwise you may not be able to boot into Windows 7 anymore.

Regards

Fernando

Hello Fernando!!!!

Sorry for the delay in my response....

I was able to install WIN XP x64 in IDE mode, now i will try to run the AHCI mode so i will cross my fingers.

I will let you know about the result!

Thank you again for all your help!!!!!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Intel SATA Raid All In One Chip F6 Driver for Windows XP and Windows 7 ?...
Although I do not really know, what you mean, I will try to answer:

All Intel AHCI/RAID driver packs, which are linked within the start post of this thread, can be used with Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Regards

Fernando

@Fernando 1

First of all, respect; thanks for undertaking this project.

I have given your work, the greatest benefit of the doubt, but in each instance I get BSOD.

One my goals is to get XP to install in Virtualbox under Vista compatibility; all my own efforts to creating a working solution, as well as your guide give the same result; XP detects hard drive, copies files. Upon restart as XP sets up Drivers I get BSOD. To give you the greatest benefit of the doubt, I have used a technet volume edition of Windows XP SP3 Pro, and only integrated your drivers, did Not remove any components, only removed ram/hdd requirements, and changed setup to classic look which correspondingly installs faster. I get the same result. Without those drivers, XP is fine. Now as I do get BSOD on first installation attempt, if I reset the virtual machine and setup restarts, it gets by without BSOD. But I cannot accept this for my own ISO.

At this point, I'm thinking of removing all sata drivers all together or only the Intel ones as they are clearly all crap. I am quite annoyed that F6 drivers, get BSOD. But as I try to make XP more advanced, it would be a major step backwards not to include them. Note, I select only AHCI, never raid. The reason being is that I have noticed if raid is also selected it screws xp up such that the drivers won't load properly and no corresponding HD detection during setup.

Unfortunately, XP doesn't do a dump so that I could troubleshoot this further; it merely "begins" to dump cough cough, ffin XP.

I can send you a link to my copy of XP if need-be.

Virtualbox 4.1.4

All default settings under Vista Mode.

post-318034-0-49845800-1318789052_thumb.

@ ericore:

I am not sure at all, that the BSOD you got is driver related. You may do a look into >this< page.

Before I can try to help you, I need some additional informations:

1. Which mainboard (manufacturer and model name) has your pc system?
  2. Which Intel driver (exact name) did you integrate into the XP image?
  3. Which Intel SATA AHCI Controller did you check, when you got the TEXTMODE driver popup window while letting nLite integrate the driver?
  4. Are you sure, that you are using an Intel SATA Controller, which has been set to "AHCI mode" within the BIOS?
    Please have a look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of your Vista Device Manager. Is there any Intel SATA AHCI Controller listed? If yes, what is the name of the Controller?
  5. How much RAM has your computer?

Regards

Fernando

@ericore

I think that is purely a VirtualBox problem. I remember that VirtualBox wanted one particular version (much older) of Intel's drivers during install time (later it can be updated). I'm looking for the topic in the Vbox forum, but can't seem to find it now. Maybe it's this? But I'm sure there were others.

Another thing (if I got it right), don't set your virtual machine to Vista mode, create your virtual machine having in mind the Guest OS - in this case, XP.

GL