Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

@ all owners of a computer with an Intel S-ATA AHCI or Raid system:

Many users with such system have problems, when they try to install Windows XP (32/64 bit) or Windows Server 2003 (32/64 bit), because the Setup of these Operating Systems will not automaticly detect the hdd's, which are connected to the Intel S-ATA AHCI or Intel SATA RAID ports of the mainboard.

Furthermore the traditional F6/floppy method often fails due to bad floppy media or the lack of a floppy drive.

The easiest and safest solution is the integration of the Intel Controller drivers into a bootable 32/64bit XP or W2k3 CD by using a tool like nLite.

Here is the way how to do it:

Integration of the

Intel SATA AHCI or SATA RAID drivers

by using nLite

Guide for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (32/64 bit)

(removed at 08/25/2013)

Dear visitors,

in November 2007 I have written at this place my first guide about the integration of Intel's textmode drivers into a Windows XP CD by using the tool nLite. Until now (August 2013) I have tried to answer all questions and to keep this guide up-to-date and to offer download links to various suitable and actual Intel AHCI and RAID drivers.

Due to the recently completely altered software of this Forum I am not able anymore to update my old MSDN Forum guides the usual way. Since I don't want to offer here an outdated guide with broken download links and since I am offering the related guides within my own new Win-RAID Forum as well, I decided to completely delete the original text of this start post and to refer to my new Forum.

If you want to read my complete and up-to-date instructions about how to integrate Intel's AHCI and RAID drivers into a Windows XP (32/64bit) image and if you are searching for links to the drivers I recommend to integrate, you should join >this< site of my Forum.

Hoping for your understanding

and best wishes

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

For JMicron S-ATA ports if bios settings is set to AHCI mode,no hdd is detect.No problem though if set to IDE mode
1. As I have written within my guide:

You cannot use Intel drivers, when your hdd is connected to any JMicron port. Then you have to integrate the JMicron Controller drivers.

2. If you disable AHCI within your BIOS and let the S-ATA Controllers run the IDE mode, you don't need to integrate any textmode driver, but in this case you will abandon all AHCI features of your built-in S-ATA Controllers.

i did integrate the Jmicron Controller driver but still no go.No problem at all with Intel drivers with sata hdd on Intel ports even with AHCI mode.
Do you have different SATA hdd's connected to different (Intel and JMicron) S-ATA ports?

Are you sure, that you installed the correct drivers for the connected port?

Which JMicron textmode driver did you load?

I only have this 4 files.No txtsetup.oem

jgogo.sys

jraid.cat

Jraid.sys

jraid_i.inf

p.s Just got a new driver JMB36X_WinDrv_WHQL_R1.17.28WHQL.this set has txtsetup.oem.Will test this driver

Edited by Mann

without txtsetup.oem cannot use txtmode drivers.

and another notice about ICH hubs - Intel offers ICHx and ICHxR versions. only R-labeled hubs support AHCI and RAID capabilities. I've spent a whole day trying to install AHCI on motherboard with ICH9 befor I looked at mb specification.

I only have this 4 files.No txtsetup.oem

jgogo.sys

jraid.cat

Jraid.sys

jraid_i.inf

That doesn't work at all. Windows Setup will not detect your JMicron Controller connected S-ATA hdd's, if AHCI is enabled within your BIOS.

Download this JMicron driver package and unzip it. You will find the suitable textmode driver within the Floppy32 folder.

and another notice about ICH hubs - Intel offers ICHx and ICHxR versions. only R-labeled hubs support AHCI and RAID capabilities. I've spent a whole day trying to install AHCI on motherboard with ICH9 befor I looked at mb specification.
The ICHxM controllers (M=Mobile) are supporting AHCI and RAID too. Edited by Fernando 1

thks problrm solved :)

What have you done to solve the problem (might be interesting for other users)?

EDIT: Since I believe, that Mann will not answer anymore, I suppose, that he found at least the correct JMicron textmode drivers I have linked to.

Edited by Fernando 1

I have a Gateway laptop model M-6823 I am trying to triple boot Vista XP and Fedora. XP is the problem. The drive is partitioned and Vista and Fedora core 8 work quite well. The XP SATA drivers are the problem. I followed the above instructions and created a CD. It boots fine then says it is checking the system as the screen goes black and the HDD runs and runs like it is loading the drivers etc. I allowed it to run for 20 minutes last night then hit Ctrl-Alt-Del. It had not modified anything the machine still boots Fedora and Vista fine.

Does anyone know should I just allow it to run longer? I tried this CD in an older desktop and it runs through fine to the point of asking for an install point. I do not get the black screen on a desktop however. I have made the CD 2 times so far and gotten the same results.

Thank-you in advance,

Steve

Excellent write up.

I did this slipsream the other day, but just now came across this post.

I am running one drive, but trying to run AHCI mode and install XP Pro. Before slipstreaming, It would not detect the drive of course. I slipstreamed the drives exactly how you have in your guide, the only difference is the source cd was not a clean one, but a disc I slipstreamed SP2 in a few months ago. Does this matter that it was an nlite created disc even though the only thing changed was slipstreamed SP2 in?

OK, so here is my problem. The slipstream must have worked, becuase it recognized the drive during setup, I created and formatted a partition, and sucessfully copied all of the XP setup files to the BRAND NEW hard drive. Just before the reboot, it says cannot copy file Uknown.sys and lets me canel or skip. Next, it reboots your computer to finish the install. It reboots, but after the POST screen, it reboots again and continues this reboot cycle.

Any ideas? This computer was working fine with exact same configuration before I RMA'ed the drive, so I know it's not the bios or connectors or anything.

From reading around, it looks to me that it loads the controller driver during the initial start, allowing my SATA drive to work, but then it will not copy the driver to the hard drive, not allowing it to boot. I don't know what Unkown.sys is, but others have the same problem, only named different things .sys

I loaded used the drive as a slave an loaded up with my Vista drive and copied over the files iastor.inf iaahci.inf and iastor.sys over to the new hd that has the preinstall files copied on it into the i386 folder.

No dice. Still does the same thing.

Any one can help?

Edited by hobiecatter

I have a Gateway laptop model M-6823 I am trying to triple boot Vista XP and Fedora. XP is the problem. The drive is partitioned and Vista and Fedora core 8 work quite well. The XP SATA drivers are the problem. I followed the above instructions and created a CD. It boots fine then says it is checking the system as the screen goes black and the HDD runs and runs like it is loading the drivers etc. I allowed it to run for 20 minutes last night then hit Ctrl-Alt-Del. It had not modified anything the machine still boots Fedora and Vista fine.

Does anyone know should I just allow it to run longer? I tried this CD in an older desktop and it runs through fine to the point of asking for an install point. I do not get the black screen on a desktop however. I have made the CD 2 times so far and gotten the same results.

At which point of the XP install did you get this strange behaviour? Did you really follow my guide?

If you do not come to the point where you have to decide where to install XP, you obviously have a problem with your system.

I am running one drive, but trying to run AHCI mode and install XP Pro. Before slipstreaming, It would not detect the drive of course. I slipstreamed the drives exactly how you have in your guide, the only difference is the source cd was not a clean one, but a disc I slipstreamed SP2 in a few months ago. Does this matter that it was an nlite created disc even though the only thing changed was slipstreamed SP2 in?
No, that is like a clean OS CD.
OK, so here is my problem. The slipstream must have worked, becuase it recognized the drive during setup, I created and formatted a partition, and sucessfully copied all of the XP setup files to the BRAND NEW hard drive. Just before the reboot, it says cannot copy file Uknown.sys and lets me canel or skip. Next, it reboots your computer to finish the install. It reboots, but after the POST screen, it reboots again and continues this reboot cycle.

Any ideas? This computer was working fine with exact same configuration before I RMA'ed the drive, so I know it's not the bios or connectors or anything.

From reading around, it looks to me that it loads the controller driver during the initial start, allowing my SATA drive to work, but then it will not copy the driver to the hard drive, not allowing it to boot. I don't know what Unkown.sys is, but others have the same problem, only named different things .sys

All SYS files are drivers. XP is obviously searching for an unknown driver.

Did you hit F6 (you should not!)?

If not, try the following: Create a bootable XP CD and integrate not only the Intel textmode drivers, but additionally the Intel INF chipset drivers. You will find a download link within my guide (first post).

for using the newest driver if gets update, only if you wish to extract drivers for yourself

download Intel Matrix Storage Manager (link found in the main post up there)

open a cmd line and go where you dowloaded the app

then run iata78_cd.exe -a -a (that's actual name and files in the main post)

the go to this folder %programfiles%\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Driver

and there will be your drivers so you can update if the need arises