Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

@ samson1701:

Provided, that you have a legal MS licence and a genuine CD key for Windows XP, here are some additional informations:

If you want to get Windows XP installed onto your Intel 8-Series Chipset system running in AHCI mode, you will run into the following Intel AHCI driver problem:

• None of the recently released Intel AHCI drivers are usable for a Windows XP installation (Reason: The absolutely needed file named TXTSETUP.OEM is missing).
  • The much older Intel AHCI drivers (latest: Intel RST v11.2.0.1006) do contain the needed TXTSETUP.OEM file, but natively do not support your Intel® 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller (Reason: The HardwareIDs of the newest Intel SATA AHCI Controllers are missing within the related INF file).
Consequence for you: The only chance to get Windows XP installed onto your Intel® 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller is to load (F6) or integrate a modded Intel RST driver, where the missing HardwareIDs have been added. You can find such driver within the start post of >this< thread. Edited by Fernando 1

• 9 months later...

Hi fernando I have an asrock b85m with XP in IDE mode now, it has 8c00/8c08 ide codes, and probably 8c02 in AHCI. I slippedstreamed your mod 11.0.2.1006 drivers and repair installed with USB, but failed after first boot, succeeded when I switched to a CD, but BSOD when I boot in AHCI mode. Is there a way to switch to AHCI without installing from scratch? I want to keep my programs. Thanks!

Is there a way to switch to AHCI without installing from scratch?

The switch of the SATA mode from within a running OS is always risky and may end with an unbootable OS. That is why I do not really recommend to do it.

If you want to do it nevertheless and are sure regarding the DeviceID of your on-board Intel SATA Controller after the switch to "AHCI", you can try the following:

1. Do a backup of your most important data (for the emergency case of a SATA mode switch failure).
  2. Boot into XP in IDE mode, run the Device Manager, expand the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section  and find out the Intel SATA Controller, where your system drive is connected.
  3. Right click onto the related Controller and choose the options "Update Driver Software ..." > "Browse my computer ..." > Let me pick ...".
  4. Hit the "Have Disk" button, navigate to the folder with the modded 32bit Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006, hit the file named iaAHCI.inf and choose the Intel SATA AHCI Controller, which will match your system after the later switch to AHCI mode. Ignore all warnings you will get and let the driver be installed.
  5. Enter the BIOS immediately while rebooting and set the Intel SATA Controller to "AHCI".
  6. Reboot and be lucky, if everything should work fine.
Edited by Fernando 1