Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Is there any reason your recommending the 8.9.0.1023 instead of the latest? 9.5.0.1037 from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_des...e=〈=deu
The only reason for not yet having put the new Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers into my guide was, that they were not officially presented by Intel. Although Intel had released the RST drivers v9.5.0.1037 already at 10/02/2009, they waited until yesterday (16th January 2010) for the official presentation.

So I will update my guide within the next hours.

By the way: There are already some newer RST drivers available:

• Intel RST drivers v9.5.4.1001 WHQL dated 11/29/2009 and
  • Intel RST drivers v9.5.6.1001 Beta dated 12/30/2009.

You can get them both >here<.

Questions:

1. RST is the new name for Intel Storage Matrix?

2. Are these newer drivers ATA/AHCI or just for raid?

3. I don't see support for ICH8M (mobile) -- is it supported?

4. Do the French or German language make any difference?

Thanks.

Questions:

1. RST is the new name for Intel Storage Matrix?

2. Are these newer drivers ATA/AHCI or just for raid?

3. I don't see support for ICH8M (mobile) -- is it supported?

4. Do the French or German language make any difference?

Answers:

1. Yes, but it is a new technology and not only a new name.

2. The v9.5.6.1001 drivers do support all ICH SATA RAID and SATA AHCI Controllers from ICH7R/M up.

3. Yes. Here is the TXTSETUP.OEM line:

iaAHCI_8MEM	   = "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"

And here is the HardwareID line of the IAAHCI.INF for ICH8M (mobile) chips:

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_mobl_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106

4. The installer of the RST packages is multilingual.

Thanks.

I downloaded the driver, extracted the 64 folder and tried to update my running system via Device Manager.

I selected the IAHCI.INF and updated it, but when I checked the IDE driver it was still the old driver -- I thought when you pick one the other is installed do.

So I went back and selected the IASTOR.INF and I got a warning that it may not be compatible with my hardware.

Any idea what gives?

@ oao:

1. If you are running your SATA hdd in AHCI Mode, you have to take the IAAHCI.INF file (the IASTOR.INF is just for RAID systems).

2. You have to force the driver installation, if you want to get an unsigned driver installed (the v9.5.6.1001 is not yet WHQL). That means, that you have to choose the "Have Disk..." option while updating the driver.

3, If you are running a 32bit Windows OS, you have to take the 32bit driver, which is missing within the pack offered by Station-Drivers.

EDIT:

Here is the link to the 32bit driver v9.5.6.1001: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jznmyjywymm

Edited by Fernando 1

@ all users of my guide (= start post of this thread):

There are some interesting news, which have let me update and customize my guide and the included download links:

1. Intel has officially released the AHCI and RAID drivers v9.5.0.1037 dated 10/02/2009, which belong to the new "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology" (RST).
    This brandnew Storage Technology is the sucessor of the formerly "Intel® Matrix Storage Manager" (MSM) series, which will not be continued anymore by Intel.
  2. Yesterday I got access to a complete new Intel RST package with 32/64bit AHCI and RAID drivers v9.5.6.1001 dated 12/17/2009 resp. 12/30/2009.
    Although these drivers are not yet been digitally signed by Microsoft, I can recommend to use them, because they are running fine with my Intel RAID Desktop and my Intel AHCI Notebook system.

Changelog:

- new official Intel RST drivers v9.5.0.1037 WHQL dated 10/02/2009

- brandnew Intel RST drivers v9.5.6.1001 Beta dated 12/17/2009 (32bit) resp. 12/30/2009 (64bit)

Have fun!

Fernando

Fernando, please clarify this for me if you would:

Last week I successfully integrated the v8.9.0.1023 AHCI driver and completed an install of XP, and everything is working as it should. At this point, is updating to the 9.5.0.1037 version (or any version that gets released in the future) the same as updating a driver for any other piece of hardware (other than having to use the "Have Disk..." method)?

In other words, I don't have to start over with a fresh XP source and integrate the newer version with nLite and reinstall XP from scratch, right?

Last week I successfully integrated the v8.9.0.1023 AHCI driver and completed an install of XP, and everything is working as it should. At this point, is updating to the 9.5.0.1037 version (or any version that gets released in the future) the same as updating a driver for any other piece of hardware (other than having to use the "Have Disk..." method)?

In other words, I don't have to start over with a fresh XP source and integrate the newer version with nLite and reinstall XP from scratch, right?

Right. If you want to get any new Intel AHCI driver installed, you can just run the installer of the new RST package. Before the real installation starts, you will be asked, if you want only the drivers or even the Console application installed.

Thank you. Is a newer version of IaStor.sys all that's getting updated, or is there more?

What is the purpose of the console application, and who would benefit from installing it?

Is a newer version of IaStor.sys all that's getting updated, or is there more?
If you do not choose to get the Console application installed, only the IASTOR.SYS will be replaced and the registry settings will be updated.
What is the purpose of the console application, and who would benefit from installing it?
RAID users will get benefit from installing, because they are able to manage some RAID functions from within Windows. For AHCI users the Console is less important. You only will get some informations, which you may get by the Device Manager too (for example, if the write caching of your SATA hdd is enabled or not).

1. It did not prompt me for the console
This is the popup window you get after having run the installer of the complete RST package v9.5.6.1001 (similar, but in english language):

post-58937-1263843478_thumb.png

You can see on the left hand side a small box, where you can enable the installation of the RST Control Center by clicking into the box. If you do not check it, you will not get it installed.

2. It updated only the IAHCI driver, but not the IDE driver.
Are you sure, that you got any Intel AHCI driver installed? Maybe you didn't force the installation. Edited by Fernando 1