Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Hello once more, Fernando 1

It looks now as if I have made some progress or even success with the integration of the iaAHCI drivers. If I insert the eventual DVD and open it via "computer" and some in between screens the full option XP screen appears including the option "instal Windows XP". Clicking this option results in a screen

"the setup is blocked because there is a newer version installeds" or some text to this effect.

Perhaps I should try and install/open an OS on a second partition and format the first one and then try installation again.

Perhaps you will offer some advice. Thank you hmtjakob

PS: Can you perhaps suggest a method for confirming that the SATA driver(s) are now on the disk?

LAST SESSION.INI

LAST SESSION_U.INI

<i>C:\Users\BEG289\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\66LXWXZ3\iaAHCI[1].inf,0</i>

You imported AHCI from Internet Explorer's temp folder?

This LastSession.ini says they're on the disk, but if you open the I386 folder (AMD64 for 64-bit) on the CD, you will find a folder called NLDRV. Inside there will be a folder with the AHCI drivers.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

@ hmtjakob:

<i>C:\Users\BEG289\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\66LXWXZ3\iaAHCI[1].inf,0</i>

You imported AHCI from Internet Explorer's temp folder?

Yes, that is nearly unbelievable. Furthermore the INF file name is wrong. It should be IAAHCI.INF (without the digit 1 in brackets).

Why didn't you just follow my guide?

This is the easy procedure:

1. Download the appropriate 32bit or 64bit textmode driver, which I have linked within my guide.
  2. Unzip the downloaded package into a separate folder (example: C:\driver).
  3. Run nLite and integrate the content of the driver folder as TEXTMODE driver. Point to any of the INF files.
  4. When you get the textmode driver popup, check all Controllers with the word "AHCI" in it (unless you are sure, which Controller you have, then you should check just this one).
  5. Let nLite burn the Image directly onto the CD/DVD.
  6. Install XP by booting off the CD/DVD.

This LastSession.ini says they're on the disk, but if you open the I386 folder (AMD64 for 64-bit) on the CD, you will find a folder called NLDRV. Inside there will be a folder with the AHCI drivers.

And the driver itself named IASTOR.SYS has to be as a compressed file named IASTOR.SY_ within the i386 directory (XP) resp. within the AMD64 directory (XP x64). Edited by Fernando 1

Some additional info of possible intereswt/impact, even if perhaps not very palatable: I am running XP Home on a separate desktop. I have booted the desktop from both an older (SP1a) and a more recent (SP3) installation disk. Trying to install a new/cleqn version I was also advised "setup is blocked because the version on the pc is newer than.."

Some additional info of possible intereswt/impact, even if perhaps not very palatable: I am running XP Home on a separate desktop. I have booted the desktop from both an older (SP1a) and a more recent (SP3) installation disk. Trying to install a new/cleqn version I was also advised "setup is blocked because the version on the pc is newer than.."
You should not run the SETUP.EXE of the XP CD from within any Windows OS, but boot off the XP CD. Then you will not get any message like this.

This is what you have to do:

1. Enter the mainboard BIOS and set the CD/DVD-ROM drive as first boot device. Save the new BIOS setting.

2. Put the XP CD into your CD/DVD-ROM drive and start the PC.

3. When you see the message "Hit any key to boot off CD", do it (= hit any key).

4. Install Windows XP where you want.

Thank you once more, Fernando 1, for your input.

The BIOS on my notebook is/was set for the CD/DVD ROM drive as the first boot option with only the hdd as a second option. I had inserted the ISO DVD and upon "push any key to start from CD/DVD" the screen went black and after a while the vibration from the drive stopped. I have tried again to download the 1001 and 1037 version from your guide under Para 1a for 32 bit version. When I saved the download to either volume C or E the attempt to open the files resulted in a mixture of normal letter characters and some to me unknown characters. When I opted for the "run" download I was advised "C:\32 bit textmode drivers v9.5.6.1001 or 1037 cannot find this file"

I have a copy of a zipped file "32 bit Intel_textmode_driver_v8.9.0.1023" that yields iaAHCI amongst other files, which when opened in turn results in text Windows INF File for Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver. I have no idea whether such a storage manager is needed by XP and avaible in the XP original CD.

@ hmtjakob:

It is not easy to understand, what you are trying to transmit.

The BIOS on my notebook is/was set for the CD/DVD ROM drive as the first boot option with only the hdd as a second option. I had inserted the ISO DVD and upon "push any key to start from CD/DVD" the screen went black and after a while the vibration from the drive stopped.
Does that mean, that you are getting the messing "Hit any key to start from CD/DVD", but then nothing happens?

If yes, try to boot off the original XP CD. If the same thing should happen again, you will not be able to boot off your DVD-ROM device at all, if the related SATA Controller has been set to "AHCI" or "RAID" mode. Possible solution: If your mainboard BIOS offers the option to boot off an USB device, you should create a bootable USB stick with the nLited XP DVD content.

If no, either you or your burning software did something wrong. Possible solution: Burn the nLited XP ISO file again as bootable image onto a DVD, but with lower speed.

I have tried again to download the 1001 and 1037 version from your guide under Para 1a for 32 bit version. When I saved the download to either volume C or E the attempt to open the files resulted in a mixture of normal letter characters and some to me unknown characters. When I opted for the "run" download I was advised "C:\32 bit textmode drivers v9.5.6.1001 or 1037 cannot find this file"
It is hard to understand what you mean.

This is the easy procedure:

1. Open my guide and double click onto the driver link of your choice. The related driver download page at MediaFire will be opened.
  2. Hit "Click here to start the download..."
  3. Confirm the download and choose the directory, where you are storing your downloads (example: C:\user\<user name>\Downloads).
  4. Unzip the RAR archive into a special driver folder, you previously have prepared (example: C:\Intel textmode driver).
  5. Start nLite, choose the driver integration task, navigate to the driver folder (example: C:\Intel textmode driver) with the unzipped driver files.
  6. Do a double click onto the iaAHCI.INF file.
  7. Enable all listed Intel SATA Controllers, which do additionally contain the word "AHCI".
  8. Let nLite do it's work.
  9. Burn the ISO file as bootable Image.
I have a copy of a zipped file "32 bit Intel_textmode_driver_v8.9.0.1023" that yields iaAHCI amongst other files, which when opened in turn results in text Windows INF File for Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver. I have no idea whether such a storage manager is needed by XP and avaible in the XP original CD.
There is no Intel Matrix Storage Manager in the original XP CD and XP doesn't need it.

What XP needs is the suitable textmode driver, which is able to detect and to handle the SATA hdd, which is running in AHCI or RAID mode. The usable different Intel textmode drivers belong either to the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" (old) or to the "Rapid Storage Technology" (new) series.

Just for clarification: I wanted to test the XP SP3 CD on my desktop that was running XP, when I was told that the installation was blocked becuse the desktop had a newer version (updates having been kept up to date??)than the one coming from the CD. Going via My Computer and "setup" was some kind of last resort attempt.

My starting point has always been your post "integration of Intel`s SATA AHCI....for Xp...Rate Topic"

I did not have a problem placing a copy of the XP SP3 CD on either drive C or drive F on my notebook. Neither did downloading nLite cause me any problemm. Loading the XP SP3 installation into the nLite file seems to have always gone rather smoothly as indicated by the summary that nLite provided.

However, obtaining the textmode driver(s) did not go so easy. Clicking on either of the two URL`s for 32 bit drivers under para 1a of your guide got me to a download option, which in turn allowed me to select between "run" and "save". I tend to go for "save" as that gives me the choice of destination for the download.

In the last few attempts via the notebook opening the downloaded files gave me a mishmash of undecipherable characters and when I chose the "run" option I had to learn "C:\32 textmode drivers v9.5.6.1001 (or 1037) cannot find this file"

As I indicated I do have a copy of a zipped file "32 bit Intel_textmode_driver_v8.9.0.1023" on the notebook that, when opened, shows a file "iaAHCI.inf" amongst other files and this iaAHCI files yields a legible text and a description Windows INF file for Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver.

In practically all my previous attempts pointing to the driver file for nLite did not go as smoothly and left me with a feeling of uncertainty. As I had indicated before, the screen that your guide shows right after "2 Processing with nLite" did not show up.

I hope and expect that with your further kind assistance I will eeventually be able to run XP on my notebook.

Thank you and regards. hmtjakob

Just for clarification: I wanted to test the XP SP3 CD on my desktop that was running XP, when I was told that the installation was blocked becuse the desktop had a newer version (updates having been kept up to date??)than the one coming from the CD. Going via My Computer and "setup" was some kind of last resort attempt.
As I have mentioned earlier, you haveto start the XP installation by booting off the CD.

After having done that, you will come to the point, where the XP Setup should detect and show the hdd(s) and its/their partitions und you have to decide where you want to get the OS installaed. If the detection succeeds, you will not need to load/integrate any textmode driver, but if the detection fails, you will not be able to continue the installation. The failure of the correct hdd and partition detection verifies, that you have to load (F6) or integrate a special textmode driver.

By the way: If you stop the XP installation at this point, nothing will be changed with your current system.

My starting point has always been your post "integration of Intel`s SATA AHCI....for Xp...Rate Topic"

I did not have a problem placing a copy of the XP SP3 CD on either drive C or drive F on my notebook. Neither did downloading nLite cause me any problemm. Loading the XP SP3 installation into the nLite file seems to have always gone rather smoothly as indicated by the summary that nLite provided.

However, obtaining the textmode driver(s) did not go so easy. Clicking on either of the two URL`s for 32 bit drivers under para 1a of your guide got me to a download option, which in turn allowed me to select between "run" and "save". I tend to go for "save" as that gives me the choice of destination for the download.

In the last few attempts via the notebook opening the downloaded files gave me a mishmash of undecipherable characters and when I chose the "run" option I had to learn "C:\32 textmode drivers v9.5.6.1001 (or 1037) cannot find this file"

1. What you need for all your works with zipped files, is a tool like WinRAR, WinZip or 7-Zip. You can get them for free. Downnload and install any of them.

2. If you want to download an archive file (with the extension .zip, .rar or .7z), you should always choose the "save" and never the "run" option.

3. After the download is completed, just do a right click onto the zipped archive and choose the "Extract to ...." option. Precondition; You have already installed a packing tool like WinRAR, WinZip or 7-Zip.

Hey fernando, I installed xp on my toshiba nb205 n325BL (which came with windows starter) as per your instructions. I got all the way through the gui install, and can boot up with my usb attached and selecting the GUI install option (it doesn't go through GUI install again, it just loads xp). However, when I boot up without the usb as my primary boot drive, and not plugged in at all it gives me a hal.dll error. Do I have to delete the hidden partition which is the system restore to windows 7 starter edition (factory conditions installed by toshiba), or can I keep it.

*Other notes

-It did copy all of the files from the usb to the 149g (out of 160) partition.

-The hidden restore partition is also the first partition on the HDD/SDD w/e

That's all I can think of, and thhank you for all of your help on this subject.

Please help, Tony.

*SOLVED IT MYSELF*

I set the boot ini file to boot from the disk and partition my XP was installed on found through the LIST DISK and LIST PARTITION cmd functions.

Again thanks for the solution to my problems

Edited by toni0z

Hi This is LittleRed ... I ran across this site in my attempt to revert back to xp

on my Toshiba Satellite L505-ES5018 Notebook...

I read your post and it was really good..

There is one thing... I didnt see how to actually intergrate the service pacs 1 2 or 3...

Does nLite Do it automaticly or how doese that work...

I look forward in reading your future posts...

LittleRed...

Welcome to MSFN, LittleRed. For future reference (and better chances of getting an answer), please post to the appropriate sections of the forums. Yes, nLite integrates service packs, provided you point it to the appropriate SP (it has to be the original package as downloaded from MS website), for e.g. WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe. Use this page with images for reference http://win-x.co.cc/nliteimages.html . For e.g., if you want to integrate a SP, choose Service Pack (pic #4 in the guide). If you need to add SATA drivers, select Drivers and integrate them as TXT (text mode), while other drivers can be added as PnP.

Enjoy

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Hello,

I've just formated my system and re-installed XP 32bit using AHCI mode, following the directions on this excellent guide. Thank you Fernando, I could never have figured this out without your guide.

The install went fine, and everything seems to work, except I have one strange problem.

When a program is doing anything disk intensive, the system seems to block all the other programs very badly. This did not happen when I ran this system with XP under IDE mode (exact same hardware).

For example, if I run the benchmark program HD Tune, it runs fine (without any spikes or stutter) but when I also try to use the system at the same time, for example, hover my mouse over "All Programs" in the start menu, it blocks for almost 10 to 15 seconds.

Or, if I do a "Save As" in notepad (while HD Tune runs in the background), notepad stops responding for 15 to 20 seconds as if it had crashed, before finally opening the Save As dialog.

It's not just HD Tach - if I use the command line program "md5sum" to make an MD5 of a very large (10GB) file, the same thing happens, all other programs are extremely unresponsive and impossible to use.

Was I supposed to install more Intel disk drivers after XP installed?

I see, in Device Manager, "IDE ATA/PATA controlers" is "Intel® ICH10R SATA AHCI Controler" (9.5.0.1037).

(This seems right, since when I built the NLite image, I used drivers "v9.5.0.1037 dated 10/02/2009")

But, if I look under "Disk Drives", and select my hard drive, under the Driver tab, it says: Microsoft ver 5.1.2535.0 date: 7/1/2001

I know AHCI with NCQ acts differently, but I can't imagine this is normal, it is as if heavy disk use stops multitasking... and as I said, I ran this same system under IDE with no problems. I've installed all the other drivers for my system, no errors or anything out of the ordinary, no errors in the event log...

Hardware:

drive : WDC WD6400AAKS

motherboard: ASUS P5Q-E (ICH10R)

Intel E8400, 4GB ram

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Another question,

Is it possible to switch back and forth between AHCI mode and IDE mode on this install of XP /w AHCI drivers?

In other words, if I reboot, change my BIOS back to IDE mode, and boot into XP, will it BSOD or will it work fine? I'm afraid to try this, because I might crash windows in a way that requires a reinstall...

Thanks

Is it possible to switch back and forth between AHCI mode and IDE mode on this install of XP /w AHCI drivers?

I can't answer the previous question, but about this one... If/when post-installing AHCI on XP, users are advised to make backup/image of valuable data for possible restore. They can revert to IDE if the process fails, but with risks (and, if possible, only once to make some changes). So, changing compatibilities in BIOS is really not recommended for everyday use.

Hope that helps