Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

•yeh, i slipstreamed ALL Sata AHCI and RAID drivers for Intel, just to be sure. my main one is ICH10R raid, and thats what i care about.
You should not integrate all AHCI and RAID drivers, but just the one you need. If you have integrated the Intel RST textmode driver v9.6.0.1014, you have to enable only the "Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5 Series/3400 Series SATA RAID Controller".

Here is my question again: Which driver (version, WHQL/modded) did you integrate?

•I think the cd has been customised, as it had sp2 on it, and i added the drivers.
I repeat my question: Is there a file named WINNT.SIF within the XP x64 CD you used as source?
i added textmode drivers, and pnp aswell (after many cd's, i decided to add the whole lot to guarantee it) and the size grew by like 1 mb
That was not a good idea. The only thing you should integrate is the Intel textmode driver. All the other things are not necessary, but may interfer the processing negatively.

•yeh, i slipstreamed ALL Sata AHCI and RAID drivers for Intel, just to be sure. my main one is ICH10R raid, and thats what i care about.
You should not integrate all AHCI and RAID drivers, but just the one you need. If you have integrated the Intel RST textmode driver v9.6.0.1014, you have to enable only the "Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5 Series/3400 Series SATA RAID Controller".

Here is my question again: Which driver (version, WHQL/modded) did you integrate?

•I think the cd has been customised, as it had sp2 on it, and i added the drivers.
I repeat my question: Is there a file named WINNT.SIF within the XP x64 CD you used as source?
i added textmode drivers, and pnp aswell (after many cd's, i decided to add the whole lot to guarantee it) and the size grew by like 1 mb
That was not a good idea. The only thing you should integrate is the Intel textmode driver. All the other things are not necessary, but may interfer the processing negatively.

ok i used Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5 WHQL, not da modded one because i wasnt sure abt it.

my first cd only had the Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5 WHQL one, and because it didnt work (BSOD with 0x0000007b error), my 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc cd's ended up having all of the drivers.

and it doesn't have winnt.sif

my first cd only had the Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5 WHQL one, and because it didnt work (BSOD with 0x0000007b error), my 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc cd's ended up having all of the drivers.
You should create a new XP CD with just the correctly integrated 64bit Intel RAID driver by using an untouched source.

You should create a new XP CD with just the correctly integrated 64bit Intel RAID driver by using an untouched source.

is it meant to have that winnt.sif file or not?

didn't you ever get that error?.
in the past yes ;) , with Fernando's help not anymore.

attaching dvdrom from usb and ahci/sata etc. things are totally different. At least you can be sure connecting through usb has no issue on installing xp (x64 or x86 etc.) , I use usb connection my self for years to install.

I strickly advice you to follow Fernando's posts providing required information asked properly, be sure there is light in the end :thumbup

@Fernando

I just figured out to use msfn pm, and just send one to you, I hope I managed :). Thanks a lot again.

hey tell me more about it. u got that BSOD stop 0x7b error yeah? what did u do to fix it?

hey i did that but it still gives the error. what else can i do?

moreover, why do you think that error comes up? and what could it be?

plz help im frustrated cos i've been working on dis for abt a month now...

@ AhmedKayihan:

More than 600.000 users of my guide succeeded at least with the XP 32/64bit installation onto their Intel AHCI or RAID system after having integrated the suitable textmode driver into the OS by using the tool nLite. So there should be no doubt, that both the procedure and the linked drivers do really work for everyone.

If your XP x64 failed nevertheless, I can only see 3 possible reasons:

1. You did not exactly follow my guide.
  2. You have integrated the wrong textmode driver.
    Little side note: your mainboard has an Intel ICH10R Southbridge and Intel SATA RAID Controllers, but additionally Marvell SAS RAID ports. If you have created a Marvell RAID, you should have integrated the suitable Marvell RAID driver and not the Intel one.
  3. You tried to get XP x64 installed by booting off an USB/SATA connected optical drive (CD/DVD-ROM), which does not work in RAID mode.
    To solve this problem you should either boot off an IDE connected optical drive or by doing the following:
    Create a bootable USB stick (you will find how-to's after having done a google search for this method) and extract the XP x64 ISO file with the integrated RAID driver onto the prepared USB stick.
    Then start the XP x64 installation by booting off the USB stick (precondition: correct BIOS setting regarding the bootable devices).

Good luck!

Fernando

an USB/SATA connected optical drive (CD/DVD-ROM), which does not work in RAID mode.

To solve this problem you should either boot off an IDE connected optical drive or by doing the following:

Create a bootable USB stick (you will find how-to's after having done a google search for this method) and extract the XP x64 ISO file with the integrated RAID driver onto the prepared USB stick.

Then start the XP x64 installation by booting off the USB stick (precondition: correct BIOS setting regarding the bootable devices).

Good luck!

Fernando

YES!!! thats my trouble! and curses be upon all those sad-case liars on the forums who stated that they successfully install XP 64 with RAID with a usb-connected DVD drive!

ok, my last question: could you please provide me a link of a proper wbsite containing info on how to create a bootable usb? i wave win7 64, and want one for xp 64. i read many guides, which did not work

thanks for all your effort!

@AhmedKayihan

YES!!! thats my trouble! and curses be upon all those sad-case liars on the forums who stated that they successfully install XP 64 with RAID with a usb-connected DVD drive!

Read carelfully

[*]You tried to get XP x64 installed by booting off an USB/SATA connected optical drive (CD/DVD-ROM), which does not work in RAID mode.

and I write again, I am successfull by using "USB Connected Optical Drive"+"Integrating Fernando's Driver to XPx64sp2 and creating a cd with this XPx64sp2". It is very rude to write "liar" to anyone without knowing his/her faults. From my experience "USB Connected Optical Drive" is a very good, reliable mobile helper when installing XP/2k3-x86/x64 etc. to any pc with having right drivers integrated with a right way.

My hardware: Asus P5B , jmicron raid0 (2 connected disks) , intel ahci enabled (3 connected disks), a usb case for dvd-rw to connect cd. (dvd-rw is ide connection, simply converted to usb connection with converter in the case) --> I installed xpx64 both ahci enabled disks and raid0 disks without interacting bios knowing fernando's drivers work great. Besides As I wrote above I used and adviced using usb connected cd/dvd to many all returning with success.

I feel your problems will continue with ufd setup which you are looking for, as written before seach google for it. Anyway Good luck with bootable ufd creating on topics you find with google.

Has anyone successfully installed Windows XP Pro 64-bit on a P55 based motherboard? (Intel DP55WB)

I get through the text mode install (with or without adding the Intel SATA drivers to the disk), but after rebooting for the graphical install, the machine is unable to find a boot device.

Setting the BIOS to AHCI or IDE mode does not seem to make a difference.

@ asdf1234:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

I get through the text mode install (with or without adding the Intel SATA drivers to the disk), but after rebooting for the graphical install, the machine is unable to find a boot device.

Setting the BIOS to AHCI or IDE mode does not seem to make a difference.

Enter the BIOS and check the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" settings. The hdd, where you want to get the OS installed, should be on the top.

Good luck!

Fernando

Enter the BIOS and check the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" settings. The hdd, where you want to get the OS installed, should be on the top.

Thanks for the response. This machine only has a single hard disk and single DVD drive. Any other ideas? I've tried two different hard disks. What I find odd is that an unmodified Windows XP 64-bit install will still see the drive with the controller in AHCI mode.

Maybe I need to try it again with the Intel driver, but re-do the partition table on the disk.

This machine only has a single hard disk and single DVD drive. Any other ideas?
Maybethe partition table of your hdd is corrupt.

Solution:

Either do a low vevel format by using a tool like KillDisk or boot off a Linux live CD/DVD like Ubuntu and format the hdd from within the Linux distribution.

What I find odd is that an unmodified Windows XP 64-bit install will still see the drive with the controller in AHCI mode.
This should be impossible, because the original Windows XP (32/64bit) doesn't have any in-box AHCI driver.

I suspect, that you either didnt use an untouched = original OS CD or didn't enable the AHCI Mode of the in-use SATA Controller (where your hdd is connected).

• 1 month later...
I have same problem with tona2005, so the solution is use old drivers 8.9.0.1023?
No, the new RST AHCI and RAID drivers are running fine after having been integrated into a Windows XP CD and installed onto a real (not a virtual) system running in AHCI or RAID Mode.
why new driver cause bsod bad pool header?
This is not the usual consequence of using the new Intel RST driver.

Please give us some informations about your hardware (Southbridge details of your mainboard), your SATA settings (IDE, AHCI or RAID) and a short report about what you have done and what happened.

Regards

Fernando

Yup I get the same / exact stop error - the acpi.sys crash (after adding the latest SATA drivers in Virtual PC too). Havent tried it on a standalone system yet, I dont have blanks to burn the ISO. Its fine on this since this is Vista (but the ISO I'm making is for XP).Altho the mobos I install XP on MAY not be the systems I've got here. Since these will probably use more than 4 GB (prob 8 GB), and use 64 bit

Edited by PaulAuckNZ