Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1533 replies to this topic

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ E-66:
Thanks for your additional informations and screenshots.

Now everything is clear for me and there is nothing to worry about for you.
Conclusion:
Both XP installation methods you have tried are working fine and everything is running as it should.
The only difference between both Intel SATA AHCI Controllers, which are shown within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager, is the name and nothing else. Both are doing absolutely the same and are using exactly the same driver (IASTOR.SYS dated 06/04/2009). You can verify this by looking into the driver details of both Controllers.

I will try to explain the details, which caused the irritations:
  • During the first (=TEXTMODE) part of the XP installation Windows Setup detected and "installed" the only appropriate Controller named "Intel® ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller (added by Fernando)" with the HardwareID "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2923&CC_0106", listed within the TXTSETUP.OEM and IAAHCI.INF files of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver v8.9.0.1023. This happened in both cases (driver integration and F6 method).
  • It was the text file named IBEXAHCI.INF (v7.0.0.1013 and dated 06/04/2009), which is part of the integrated Intel Chipset "driver" set, which renamed the Controller during the Hardware detection (=GUIMODE) part of the XP installation. Since the Intel chipset "drivers" were not present while installing Windows XP by using the F6/floppy method, no renaming of the Controller happened in this case.
    By the way: AFAIK the renaming of the Intel AHCI Controller doesn't happen, if you install the Intel chipset "drivers" after having completed the XP installation.
  • The "Property" tab entries of the "Intel® ICH9 Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2923" are absolutely misleading, because the used driver is not v7.0.0.1013, but v8.9.0.1023.
  • At first view the identical driver dates are irritating, but I checked it: Both files, the real driver named IASTOR.SYS and the text file named IBEXAHCI.INF have been released at 06/04/2009.
I hope, that everything is clear for you too.

Have fun with your XP installation and your SATA hdd running with the actual official Intel AHCI driver.

Regards
Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1, 06 January 2010 - 03:45 AM.

My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

E-66

E-66

• PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Joined 15-August 06
I'm glad everything is working properly in both installation, but I do have a few questions...

2. It was the text file named IBEXAHCI.INF (v7.0.0.1013 and dated 06/04/2009), which is part of the integrated Intel Chipset "driver" set, which renamed the Controller during the Hardware detection (=GUIMODE) part of the XP installation. Since the Intel chipset "drivers" were not present while installing Windows XP by using the F6/floppy method, no renaming of the Controller happened in this case.

With regard to what I quoted in italics above... I don't understand why you said that the "drivers" weren't present in the F6 method of install? I integrated the chipset .infs in both installs.

By the way: AFAIK the renaming of the Intel AHCI Controller doesn't happen, if you install the Intel chipset "drivers" after having completed the XP installation.

I can verify that this is true. I did a 3rd install where I didn't integrate any drivers. I used F6 for the ACHI drivers, and after the install was complete the HDD controller in device manager had the "Fernando" tag. I then ran the chipset update exe (infinst911autol.exe v9.1.1.1025) and it didn't affect the name of the controller.

My other question is about optical drives. In the instructions on page 1 of this thread it says to make sure the CD/DVD device you boot your nLited CD from isn't connected to a SATA port because optical drives generally have problems with the enabled AHCI or RAID mode.

My question is, what about after the OS install is complete? Can you connect an optical drive to a SATA port then? I wasn't quite clear on whether the optical/SATA was an issue only at initial OS installation or if it was an issue even after the OS was successfully installed.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

2. It was the text file named IBEXAHCI.INF (v7.0.0.1013 and dated 06/04/2009), which is part of the integrated Intel Chipset "driver" set, which renamed the Controller during the Hardware detection (=GUIMODE) part of the XP installation. Since the Intel chipset "drivers" were not present while installing Windows XP by using the F6/floppy method, no renaming of the Controller happened in this case.

With regard to what I quoted in italics above... I don't understand why you said that the "drivers" weren't present in the F6 method of install? I integrated the chipset .infs in both installs.

So you created 2 different XP CD's by using nLite, both of them with integrated Intel chipset "drivers", but only one of them with integrated Intel AHCI driver? If yes, I cannot explain, why Windows Setup named the Intel AHCI Controller in a different way. Maybe it has something to do with the order of the hardware detection and the system managing within the GUIMODE part of the installation.
In any case this doesn't have any impact on the function of the devices.

My other question is about optical drives. In the instructions on page 1 of this thread it says to make sure the CD/DVD device you boot your nLited CD from isn't connected to a SATA port because optical drives generally have problems with the enabled AHCI or RAID mode.
My question is, what about after the OS install is complete? Can you connect an optical drive to a SATA port then? I wasn't quite clear on whether the optical/SATA was an issue only at initial OS installation or if it was an issue even after the OS was successfully installed.

The best solution is always to connect the optical drives to a SATA port, which is not running in RAID or AHCI Mode. That is why many mainboards have SATA Controllers from different vendors with different chips. This gives you the opportunity to split the SATA drives (hdd/optical drives) up to different SATA Controller types.
If you don't have on-board SATA Controllers from another vendor, you have to use the Intel ones even with your optical drives. The question, if you will get any problems, depends on the vendor of the optical drive and on the product itself. Once upon a time I owned a SATA connected DVD burner manufactured by LG, which did not boot at all. I gave this device back to the dealer, got a DVD burner from Samsung and everything worked fine.
Generally the most critical situation with optical drives, which are connected to a SATA Controller set to "AHCI" or "RAID" Mode, is the OS installation procedure. So if you don't use the optical drive for this purpose, you probably can use it without any problems.

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

E-66

E-66

• PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Joined 15-August 06

So you created 2 different XP CD's by using nLite, both of them with integrated Intel chipset "drivers", but only one of them with integrated Intel AHCI driver?

Yes, but I didn't create CD's, I created 2 different nLited installs on a partition on the HDD and then installed straight from the HDD. That's how I've always installed XP, it's much faster that way. Both installs started with a clean source, and the only difference between them was what you stated above - both integrated the chipset "drivers", but one also included the AHCI driver. But as you said, if it doesn't affect the function of the devices then it's not really a big deal.

Regarding the optical drive, I'm not using one during the install, and the one I do have is an IDE model (my motherboard has 4 Intel SATA & 1 IDE). I asked the question for future reference in case I would ever need to replace the one I have. If I do have to replace it at some point I don't know if IDE optical drives will still be available, so I wanted to know if a SATA model would even work.

Thanks for your help with everything.

netcutren

netcutren
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 08-January 10
I can't dowload the files! why?
tks. :rolleyes:

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ netcutren:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

I can't dowload the files! why?

Which of them did you try to download and what happened?

Regards
Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1, 08 January 2010 - 09:21 AM.

My current system:
My old system:

jlandmann

jlandmann
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 08-January 10
Hello,

My hard drive recently failed on my Toshiba Portege M700-7004. I bought a new WD Scorpio Blue 500GB hard drive and tried to install. My computer could not read the new hard drive.

I have downloaded and installed the Intel matrix drivers and nLite. When i run nLite and it asks me to locate the installation files I put in the recovery CD and click on the CD drive and select ok. A pop up appears that says: " Make sure that the selected folder or drive contains the 'I' or 'AMD64' directory and proper Windows installation files. nLite is for a pre-install environment only, meaning that it cannot modify an existing Windows installation. An easy way is to insert your Windows installation CD and select the CD drive. Never copy the files directly to a partition root, create an empty folder first." I click ok and the program does not recognize the installation files. I then select the "I386" sub folder in the CD drive and the same thing happens. I then copy the installation files to an empty folder on my hard drive and try it again. the same thing happens.

Please help. Is there something i am doing wrong?

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ jlandmann:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

When i run nLite and it asks me to locate the installation files I put in the recovery CD and click on the CD drive and select ok. A pop up appears that says: " Make sure that the selected folder or drive contains the 'I' or 'AMD64' directory and proper Windows installation files. Please help. Is there something i am doing wrong?

Yes, you need a complete Windows XP CD, if you want to create a Windows XP CD with integrated drivers by using a tool like nLite. You cannot do it with a Recovery version, when the i386 directory is missing.
NLite itself is not able to expand a Recovery version to a a full XP CD content. If you cannot get any complete XP CD, you may try to create it by the tool XP-ISO-Builder, which you can get >here<.

Regards
Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1, 08 January 2010 - 06:05 PM.

My current system:
My old system:

jlandmann

jlandmann
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 08-January 10
So I was able to get a hold of an windows xp cd. when i get the part about integrating the driver I cant find them. I download and installed the Intel Matrix driver Storage manger extracted it to a folder but cant find when When I click on the folder in nLite nothing shows up. Where ar ethe drivers?

Here is some of my system details:

Operating System C1 2:
Genuine Windows Vista® Business (32-bit version)
Microsoft® Windows XP Pro Recovery Media

Processor and Chipset 3
Intel® Centrino® vPro™ Processor Technology featuring:
Processor:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100
2.1GHz, 3MB L2, 800MHz FSB with 64-bit C1
Chipset:
Mobile Intel® GM965 Express Chipset

here is a link for more info: http://www.csd.toshi...mily=1073768662

based on thid info: what driver should i download so it will recognize my WD scorpio blue 500 gb hard drive???

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

So I was able to get a hold of an windows xp cd. when i get the part about integrating the driver I cant find them. I download and installed the Intel Matrix driver Storage manger extracted it to a folder but cant find when When I click on the folder in nLite nothing shows up. Where ar ethe drivers?

1. You will find the suitable driver and all needed informations within my guide (= start post of this thread).
2. There is no need to extract the Intel Matrix Storage Manager package, if you are ging to integrate the Intel textmode driver (look into my guide).
3. As I have already written, you will need an original XP CD as source (no Recovery CD, where the i386 directory is missing).

what driver should i download so it will recognize my WD scorpio blue 500 gb hard drive???

The choice of the suitable textmode driver doesn't depend on the vendor and the specification of the used hdd.
These are the only important questions:
  • Are you running your SATA hdd in IDE, AHCI or RAID Mode?
    Tip: You will find the settings within the mainboard BIOS.
  • To which SATA Controller chip (vendor and type) is your hdd connected?
    Tip: Run Vista, open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if present - the "Storage Controllers" sections of the Device Manager and post the names of the listed Controllers.
Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

pinslammer

pinslammer
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10
I need so much help, where to start:

I have a new AOD 250 that came with XP home and I want to install XP Pro on. I have slipstreamed SP3 and my Sata drivers into XP by using nlite. I have used PeToUSB and the utility on this site to make my flash drive bootable. I am now able to get into Textmode and actually see the HD. When I go to delete the partition that Windows was installed on it won’t let me and says that there are setup files that are needed on this partition. So I try to install over the old windows installation and it says that it deletes windows and then it tries to install the new files from the USB key and it cannot copy the files. I push escape to skip and it does it to the next. What am I doing wrong!!?!?!?

Thank you. All of the information on this site is what pushed me to take this on as I thought I was smart enough to do this, I failed.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ pinslammer:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Here is my comment:
  • I assume, that you have done a backup of all your datas. If not, you should do it.
  • The cause of your problems while installing a new OS onto the hdd of your notebook is probably just a security action of the vendor to prevent a not wanted delition of the preinstalled OS.
    You can easily do it nevertheless by using a tool like KillDisk (>Link<), which will erase all the datas and even the hidden partition tables.
  • The problem regarding the message "Cannot copy file xyz" can have more than 1 reason:
  • you have hit F6 when prompted (you should not do it)
  • you did not use a clean XP Pro CD as source
  • you have done something wrong within the preparation of your installion media or
  • corrupted datas on your USB stick (solution: delete the content and recopy everything).
Hoping that this helps
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

pinslammer

pinslammer
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

@ pinslammer:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Here is my comment:

• I assume, that you have done a backup of all your datas. If not, you should do it.
  • The cause of your problems while installing a new OS onto the hdd of your notebook is probably just a security action of the vendor to prevent a not wanted delition of the preinstalled OS.
    You can easily do it nevertheless by using a tool like KillDisk (>Link<), which will erase all the datas and even the hidden partition tables.
  • The problem regarding the message "Cannot copy file xyz" can have more than 1 reason:
  • you have hit F6 when prompted (you should not do it)
  • you did not use a clean XP Pro CD as source
  • you have done something wrong within the preparation of your installion media or
  • corrupted datas on your USB stick (solution: delete the content and recopy everything).
Hoping that this helps
Fernando

Using Kill Disk resulted in 2 things:

1. The ability to delete the partition.
2. Once the partition was formatted Windows was able to complete the install from the USB Stick.

I now have one other issue. When XP goes to load it comes up with 2 choices as if it is trying to do a dual boot. Choice one is XP Pro, the Second is "USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of this without starting over? Or what to do differently if I do start over?

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

I now have one other issue. When XP goes to load it comes up with 2 choices as if it is trying to do a dual boot. Choice one is XP Pro, the Second is "USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of this without starting over? Or what to do differently if I do start over?

That problem can easily be solved:
  • Open the file named BOOT.INI, which is in the Root of your C partition (if you don't see it, go to "Folders Options" > "View" > "Advanced Settings" > "Hidden files and folders" and enable "show them").
  • Delete just the line with the "USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Professional" and save the file.
After having done that your computer will boot straight into Windows XP Pro.

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

pinslammer

pinslammer
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

That problem can easily be solved:
  • Open the file named BOOT.INI, which is in the Root of your C partition (if you don't see it, go to "Folders Options" > "View" > "Advanced Settings" > "Hidden files and folders" and enable "show them").
  • Delete just the line with the "USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Professional" and save the file.
After having done that your computer will boot straight into Windows XP Pro.

Regards
Fernando

Fernando you are a live saver. Thank you.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

Fernando you are a live saver. Thank you.

You are welcome. I am glad, that I could help you.

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

oao

oao

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Joined 05-April 07
Most of the XP64 drivers for my laptop must be extracted from executable archives distributed by the mfgrs and this
makes it unclear how to select the proper driver for nLite to integrate.

1. Multiple INF files for one driver in the same directory e.g. Intel® Matrix Storage Manager Driver: it has IASTOR.INF and IAHCI.INF in the same directory, both of which I think are needed. If I specify One Driver to Insert I must choose one of them and then I DK if the other will be installed; if I try to select the other one too, nLite does not accept it from the same directory. So should I specify Multiple Drivers to insure both will be included?

2. One driver with multiple files in different directories e.g. nVidia graphics driver: it has the INF of the core driver in one directory and an INF for a HDMI driver in ahanother directory. Here my guess is that I need to specify each directory as one driver and insert them separately, as I doubt the graphics driver will also include the HDMI.

3. Multiple INFs for multiple drivers in the same directory e.g. Intel Mobile Chipset. Here there is a double problem: there are multiple INF files for the same chipset family all of which must be installed and multiple INF files for other chipset families none of which must be installed. The thing is I cannot tell from the names of the files which should be in and which out. So if I specify One-Driver to Insert, I don't know which INFs to select. But if I specify Multiple Drivers, all of them will be selected and I dk is that's correct -- would they all be installed?

Would appreciate advice from those in the know.

Thanks.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

1. Multiple INF files for one driver in the same directory e.g. Intel® Matrix Storage Manager Driver: it has IASTOR.INF and IAHCI.INF in the same directory, both of which I think are needed. If I specify One Driver to Insert I must choose one of them and then I DK if the other will be installed; if I try to select the other one too, nLite does not accept it from the same directory. So should I specify Multiple Drivers to insure both will be included?

No, they will be both included anyway. nLite will always copy the whole content (= all files) of the driver folder into the CD image.
By the way: An INF file is just a text file and not a driver. You can open each INF file with the Editor and read it. The INF files only contain the informations for the OS about how to get the driver proper installed.

2. One driver with multiple files in different directories e.g. nVidia graphics driver: it has the INF of the core driver in one directory and an INF for a HDMI driver in ahanother directory. Here my guess is that I need to specify each directory as one driver and insert them separately, as I doubt the graphics driver will also include the HDMI.

The NVIDIA Display (=graphics) driver and the HDMI Audio driver are different drivers. So they have to be integrated separately. nLite will do that for you, if you choose the multiple driver folder option.

3. Multiple INFs for multiple drivers in the same directory e.g. Intel Mobile Chipset. Here there is a double problem: there are multiple INF files for the same chipset family all of which must be installed and multiple INF files for other chipset families none of which must be installed. The thing is I cannot tell from the names of the files which should be in and which out. So if I specify One-Driver to Insert, I don't know which INFs to select. But if I specify Multiple Drivers, all of them will be selected and I dk is that's correct -- would they all be installed?

All INF files will be integrated into the OS CD, no matter
a ) which INF file you checked and
b ) if you choose the single or the multiple driver option.
As I have written above, an INF file is not a driver.
By the way: The Intel chipset "drivers" (= "INF Update Ultility") don't contain any real driver. Real drivers are the files with the extension ."SYS".
My current system:
My old system:

oao

oao

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Joined 05-April 07
Thanks, Fernando.

Yes, I know about the INF files -- I am referring to them as drivers because they represent the drivers to nLite.

The message was written before I read your sticky. I was referred to it and it clarified most of the stuff for me.

But I posted another message to your thread with some minor issues after I read the sticky -- can you pls reply?

Regards,
FP

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

But I posted another message to your thread with some minor issues after I read the sticky -- can you pls reply?

Which issues do you mean and where did you post it?
My current system:
My old system:

zombo

zombo
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 23-February 07
Is there any reason your recommending the 8.9.0.1023 instead of the latest? 9.5.0.1037 from http://downloadcente...s...e=&lang=deu

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

Is there any reason your recommending the 8.9.0.1023 instead of the latest? 9.5.0.1037 from http://downloadcente...s...e=&lang=deu

The only reason for not yet having put the new Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers into my guide was, that they were not officially presented by Intel. Although Intel had released the RST drivers v9.5.0.1037 already at 10/02/2009, they waited until yesterday (16th January 2010) for the official presentation.
So I will update my guide within the next hours.

By the way: There are already some newer RST drivers available:
  • Intel RST drivers v9.5.4.1001 WHQL dated 11/29/2009 and
  • Intel RST drivers v9.5.6.1001 Beta dated 12/30/2009.
You can get them both >here<.
My current system:
My old system:

oao

oao

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Joined 05-April 07
Questions:

1. RST is the new name for Intel Storage Matrix?

2. Are these newer drivers ATA/AHCI or just for raid?

3. I don't see support for ICH8M (mobile) -- is it supported?

4. Do the French or German language make any difference?

Thanks.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

Questions:
1. RST is the new name for Intel Storage Matrix?
2. Are these newer drivers ATA/AHCI or just for raid?
3. I don't see support for ICH8M (mobile) -- is it supported?
4. Do the French or German language make any difference?

Answers:
1. Yes, but it is a new technology and not only a new name.
2. The v9.5.6.1001 drivers do support all ICH SATA RAID and SATA AHCI Controllers from ICH7R/M up.
3. Yes. Here is the TXTSETUP.OEM line:
iaAHCI_8MEM	   = "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"
And here is the HardwareID line of the IAAHCI.INF for ICH8M (mobile) chips:
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_mobl_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106
4. The installer of the RST packages is multilingual.
My current system:
My old system:

oao

oao

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Joined 05-April 07
Thanks.

I downloaded the driver, extracted the 64 folder and tried to update my running system via Device Manager.

I selected the IAHCI.INF and updated it, but when I checked the IDE driver it was still the old driver -- I thought when you pick one the other is installed do.

So I went back and selected the IASTOR.INF and I got a warning that it may not be compatible with my hardware.

Any idea what gives?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users