Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1530 replies to this topic

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ Schmiddy:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

But now i'm confrontet with a new problem: I wanted to get acces to the Internet and to my usb-media, so i decided to install my chipset-drivers as i'm used to. So I startet these one:"INF_allOS_9.1.2.1008_PV.exe". The installation worked properly and finished with the request for a restart. I did so. But my os didn't start up again and the whole Windowsinstallation could start again. No my SSD has finished it's installation (I'm tiping from my HDD in IDE-mode). So what to do now? Did these drivers kill my AHCI, or what happened?

I have no idea what happened, because I don't know what exactly you have done.
This is what I recommend to do:
  • Download an already extracted version of the Intel chipset device INF files (Intel chipset "drivers") from >here< and unzip it somewhere on your hdd (but outside the desktop).
  • Create a new nLited XP CD according to my guide (you should start the procedure from scratch with a clean source!) and integrate just the Intel AHCI driver (as TEXTMODE), but additionally the prepared Intel chipset "drivers" (as PnP driver).
  • Burn the ISO file as bootable Image.
  • Enter the BIOS, set the Intel SATA Controllers to "AHCI" mode and make sure, that your SSD is on top of the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" settings.
  • Boot off the freshly nLited XP CD.
  • Once the XP installation is completed, you will have the OS on your SSD and all needed Intel drivers should be properly installed.
Good luck!

@ jangdini:
The complete Intel AHCI/RAID RST and INF Utility packages are EXE files, which cannot be unzipped by using a tool like WinRAR or 7-zip.
You can extract them nevertheless within the DOS-Box (or the "Run" command box) by using the parameters "xyz.exe -A -P C:\Intel" (without quotation marks).
After having completed the extraction you will find the extracted folders and files within the folder named "Intel" of your drive C:
To make it easier for you, I have linked already extracted packages of both EXE files (Intel RST and Chipset Device Software) within the start post of this thread.

I wanna ask how to integrate non-text mode sata ahci driver?

There is no "non-textmode SATA AHCI driver" available. The only Intel SATA AHCI driver is the one named IASTOR.SYS and part of the Intel RST/MSM driver package you have to integrate as TEXTMODE driver.
What you certainly mean is the Intel INF Update Utility (= Intel chipset device "drivers"/"software"), which doesn't contain a real driver, but just information files about how to manage the different Intel chipset system devices.

Regards
Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1, 11 December 2010 - 05:15 AM.

My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jangdini

jangdini
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 02-March 10

@jangdini
The driver has to be extracted. Either post the link to the driver or use the one already made by Fernando.

Edit: I just found your model on the Acer website; the AHCI driver seems to be packed in a newer version of Install Shield. However, the important thing is that its version is 8.9.4.1004, and Fernando has a newer version 9.6.0.1014. So, if you're really insisting on getting the version from Acer's website, I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

@Sp0iLedBrAt
Thanks for reply,
i have download the driver from acer website. It's packed in newer version of Install Shield.
Now, the problem is how to extract it? i tried to extract with some typical archieve software. it cannot be done.
Are there other way to get it extracted?

Regards,

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
  • Joined 19-March 09
@jangdini
please read post #976, Fernando has already answered it

@ jangdini:
The complete Intel AHCI/RAID RST and INF Utility packages are EXE files, which cannot be unzipped by using a tool like WinRAR or 7-zip.
You can extract them nevertheless within the DOS-Box (or the "Run" command box) by using the parameters "xyz.exe -A -P C:\Intel" (without quotation marks).

Cheers

throbert

throbert

• 30 posts
  • Joined 22-April 10
Fernado,
Thanks for setting up these files for us. It's way easier to load them froom here rather than going
through intels swamp of what the hell.I have an ASUS Maximus Extreme MOBO with 6 internal
ICH9R Sothbridge Intel MSM SATA Ports and 2 external JM363 SATA ports

If possible I would like to run my internals in AHCI mode which means I would have connect one
of my internal optic drives to the external port to intall my drivers with the OS I don't know If I can
use the RST rivers or not but I guess they would be the better drivers.

AS I understand it I would have to change the IDE setting to AHCI in BIOS prior to install. I read
that when loading the TXT mode drivers in nLite to instal as single drivers not multiple, is that so.
Did I also understand that I can not mix TXT with PNP drivers on nLites driver list.

Could you please set me strait on all of this so I don't end up over my head before I know it.
I attached my User manual for your reference if needed

Well I guess the pdf is too large so here's the link

Edited by throbert, 12 December 2010 - 03:02 PM.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ throbert:

Here are my answers:
1. Yes, you can use the RST driver v9.6.0.1014 WHQL. When you integrate it, just choose the listed device named "Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller".
2. Before you start with the OS installation, you have to enter the BIOS and to set the Intel SATA Controllers to "AHCI" mode.
3. I recommend to choose the single driver method.
4. It is no problem to integrate the Intel SATA AHCI driver (as TEXTMODE driver) and the Intel chipset "drivers" (as PnP drivers) one after the other into the same OS image.

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

throbert

throbert

• 30 posts
  • Joined 22-April 10
Thanks Fernando your a way better tutor than some of the others I've tried to get answers from. Now i have to get a cable to connect my optic drive to the external eSATA port.

jangdini

jangdini
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 02-March 10

@ jangdini:
After having completed the extraction you will find the extracted folders and files within the folder named "Intel" of your drive C:
To make it easier for you, I have linked already extracted packages of both EXE files (Intel RST and Chipset Device Software) within the start post of this thread.

I wanna ask how to integrate non-text mode sata ahci driver?

There is no "non-textmode SATA AHCI driver" available. The only Intel SATA AHCI driver is the one named IASTOR.SYS and part of the Intel RST/MSM driver package you have to integrate as TEXTMODE driver.
What you certainly mean is the Intel INF Update Utility (= Intel chipset device "drivers"/"software"), which doesn't contain a real driver, but just information files about how to manage the different Intel chipset system devices.

Regards
Fernando

@ Fernando
Thanks for the explanation. I will try it.
I'm just curious, how windows knows the driver is exactly match with the hardware? Does in hardware contain some machine code? If so, can we change it?
As far as i know, windows save the driver in the XX:\windows or XX\windows\system or system32. If i want to uninstall the driver can we just simply deleted the *.sys file?

Regards,
Jangdini

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

I'm just curious, how windows knows the driver is exactly match with the hardware? Does in hardware contain some machine code?

Yes, Windows detects the specifications of the device (the Vendor ID and the Device ID = HardwareID) and compares it with the HardwareID list of the associated INF file.

If so, can we change it?

You cannot change the VendorID and the DeviceID of the hardware, but you can manually add the HardwareID to the INF file of a driver. This works with some devices.

As far as i know, windows save the driver in the XX:\windows or XX\windows\system or system32.

The in-use drivers are stored within the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folder of the OS partition.

If i want to uninstall the driver can we just simply deleted the *.sys file?

You will not be able to delete a driver, which is currently used by the OS, because it is a protected system file. Furthermore it wouldn't make sense to simply delete the SYS file as long as the registry entries still refer to it.

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

jangdini

jangdini
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 02-March 10
Thanks to fernando for the explanation

Regards,
Jangdini

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ all users with an Intel AHCI or RAID system:

Due to the fact, that Intel has released new official AHCI and RAID drivers v10.1.0.1008 at 17th December, I have just updated the first post of this thread again to make these brandnew drivers available for the integration according to my guide.
Changelog:
  • new: 32/64bit Intel RST drivers v10.1.0.1008 WHQL dated 11/05/2010
  • new: modded 32/64bit Intel RST drivers v10.1.0.1008 (usable with all AHCI/RAID capable Intel Southbridges from ICH7 up)
  • new: Complete RST driver and software pack v10.1.0.1008 WHQL (already extracted)

Good luck with the integration of these new drivers!

Regards
Fernando

My current system:
My old system:

throbert

throbert

• 30 posts
  • Joined 22-April 10
Thanks Fernando,
yout guide works great. all drives are running fine in AHCI mode. Now I all I have to do is get the OS to work worth a ****.

Edited by throbert, 03 January 2011 - 11:59 AM.

hawk

hawk
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 10-February 11
Fernando, is there ANY way to integrate these drivers into an existing Windows (Vista) installation by somehow modifying registry files offline? (maybe booting PC using Bart-PE and running that magical program that will inject drivers).... Thank you!

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ hawk:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

What you certainly mean is the Intel SATA Controller switch from IDE to AHCI mode without doing a fresh install of the OS.
Yes, that is possible, but I do not recommend to do it, because you may risk an unbootable system after having tried that. If you want to do it nevertheless, you will find a lot of workarounds in the World Wide Web.

The topic of this thread is the integration of the Intel AHCI and RAID drivers into a Windows XP CD and not a risky guide about how to avoid this procedure.

Regards
Fernando.

Edited by Fernando 1, 10 February 2011 - 10:25 AM.

My current system:
My old system:

click-click

click-click

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 08-October 09
I'm a bit confused about the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager driver downloads. From what I can tell, Intel changed the name from MSM to RST. So what is the difference between using one over the other except for the fact that that the RST drivers are newer than the MSM ones.

My laptop has an Intel® ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller that came with MSM drivers installed (8.9.2.1002). Do I need to stick with the MSM version or can I use the newer RST?

Thanks..

Edited by click-click, 13 March 2011 - 05:47 AM.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

I'm a bit confused about the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager driver downloads. From what I can tell, Intel changed the name from MSM to RST. So what is the difference between using one over the other except for the fact that that the RST drivers are newer than the MSM ones.

That is not completely true. Intel didn't just change the names of the AHCI/RAID drivers, but the storage technology too.

My laptop has an Intel® ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller that came with MSM drivers installed (8.9.2.1002). Do I need to stick with the MSM version or can I use the newer RST?

You will be able to use them both, but it is not easy to say, which will be the better driver series for your system.
You probably have to find it out yourself. It is no problem at all to change the Intel AHCI driver from within a running OS (no need to uninstall the previously used driver).

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

vbman213

vbman213
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 13-March 11
Question:

I integrated all of the RST drivers into a XP install so I could use SATA Controllers in VirtualBox (without having to run IDE Controllers first, then install RST through windows, and then move my drivers over to the SATA Controller).

I decided to integrate all of the RST drivers but that seemed to cause my install to blue screen... Why would doing so cause it to blue screen when the post-install RST download works just fine?

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

I decided to integrate all of the RST drivers but that seemed to cause my install to blue screen...

Since there is just 1 single driver named IASTOR.SYS within any RST driver package, you should explain, what you mean with "I decided to integrate all of the RST drivers".
Did you integrate more than 1 driver package or did you just enable all listed Intel SATA Controllers, when you were going to integrate the Intel RST textmode driver by using nLite?
By the way: Both options are wrong. Please read my guide within the srart post of this thread carefully and you probably will find out your mistake.

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

cdob

cdob

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 29-September 05

SATA Controllers in VirtualBox
Why would doing so cause it to blue screen when the post-install RST download works just fine?

VirtualBox virtual controller dosn't match a real controller. Ask VirtualBox to update virtual controller.
Don't use VirtualBox to test SATA drivers currently. Use real hardware.

neosho

neosho
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 20-March 11
Hi guys! serious problem here..

I just bought asus p8p67 pro and seagate 2tb green hd.. i was so happy starting xp pro x86 fresh install and bang! BSOD on install... readed lots of info about AHCI and all.. then used Nlite to slipstream drivers to xp pro sp3 and now no BSOD but black screen forever after driver loading screen.. tryed intel inf adding also, and redid iso about 3-4 times and nothing, plugged out all other HDs also and nothing.. Help plz!!

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ neosho:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Please let us know, which driver you have integrated.
Other question: How much RAM are you using?

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

neosho

neosho
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 20-March 11
Thx Fernando!

I used both asus motherboard cd drivers and the ones from the first post and nothing always black screen.. i was using 8GB Ram but atm im trying with 4gb..

Help plz!

brons2

brons2
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 21-March 11
I have an HP Compaq 8100 Elite Small Form Factor that I am trying to install Server 2008 R2 on. It's got a Corei5 760 and 16GB of RAM. It has the ICH10/DO SATA RAID in the chipset. I have gone into the BIOS and set the appropriate options to be able to have RAID on my two 1TB hard drives. I have created my RAID volume in the Intel setup utility in the BIOS. Windows Server 2008R2 sees the RAID volume without having to install drivers. It goes through the setup seemingly successfully, but then when it gets down to the end it says "Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware".

I tried loading the F6 drivers from a floppy drive, it does see the drivers and install them but then I get down to the end and have the same error.

I updated the BIOS and tried to go through setup again, same error.

I created a DVD with the drivers slipstreamed in using Vlite, same error.

I installed Windows Server 2003 R2 64bit. Success, no problems installing 2003. I then tried to upgrade my working 2003 installation to 2008 R2, same error.

I finally turned off RAID and put the drives back to AHCI and I was able to install 2008R2. But that is not what I want, I wanted to use the hardware RAID 1.

Anyone have any suggestions?

[edit] found this, it pertains to my problem:
http://support.micro....com/kb/2466753

I'm now burning the Server 2008R2 SP1 DVD, we'll see how that goes.

[edit 2] that worked. integration of Intel ICH8/9/10 SATA RAID drivers with 2008R2 SP1 using vlite is not necessary. Just be aware with the problem on the 2008R2 RTM CD, it won't work with the RAID enabled.

Edited by brons2, 22 March 2011 - 10:08 AM.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

I used both asus motherboard cd drivers and the ones from the first post and nothing always black screen.. i was using 8GB Ram but atm im trying with 4gb.

If you should not succeed with 4 GB of RAM, try it with 2 GB. Yo can reinsert the other RAM modules once Windows XP is up.
The Setup of Windows XP can only handle a lttle bit more than 3 GB of RAM, but sometimes it writes something outside the 3 GB area with the effect, that it is not able to read it later.

@ brons2:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Since you want to get Windows Server 2008 R2 installed, your problem has nothing to do with this topic and with this nLite Forum.
Please ask for help within >this< special Win7/W2k8 R2 Forum.

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

brons2

brons2
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 21-March 11

@ brons2:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Since you want to get Windows Server 2008 R2 installed, your problem has nothing to do with this topic and with this nLite Forum.
Please ask for help within >this< special Win7/W2k8 R2 Forum.

Regards
Fernando

I was trying to slipstream the drivers for the same hardware into a 2008 installation using nlite (not compatible) and then vlite, that's why was posted here. However, it turned out to be a problem with the RTM version of 2008R2.

jimbra

jimbra

• 10 posts
  • Joined 30-March 11
Hello I just want to express my wholehearted THANK YOU for this thread and forum

A spilled glass of orange juice (screwdriver LOL pardon the pun) caused a meltdown on my P4 XP pro NLE system of course a new system build was in need,

After the the BSOD on a clean system I knew a different approach would be necessary, Having found slip-streaming was the answer, and hence arrived here.

This will be my first attempt on a ASUS P8P67 le , 8gb ram 2x2x2x2 dual channel ddr3 1600, Geforce GTX 560ti, Seagate 1tb Sata 3 32mb cache 7200rpm. 500w Thermaltake PS. Old tower thoroughly cleaned and new fans. Win XP Pro RTM w/SP2,3

At this point we are making the slipstream disc and hopefully it will work on the first shot at it.

Thanks again for all of the informative info and others that posted , Learning things like only having 2gb's of memory and SATA drivers are invaluable.

With my regards,

Jim

Edited by jimbra, 30 March 2011 - 11:07 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sogou (1)