Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Do you lock your computer?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Locking your computer (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you lock your computer when you leave it?

1. Yes (By choice) (43 votes [66.15%])

Percentage of vote: 66.15%

2. Yes (Because I'm forced to) (2 votes [3.08%])

Percentage of vote: 3.08%

3. No (By choice) (19 votes [29.23%])

Percentage of vote: 29.23%

4. No (Because I'm not allowed to) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. No (Because my computer can't be locked) (0 votes [0.00%])

6. I've never heard of locking my computer (1 votes [1.54%])

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

Is your screensaver password-protected?

1. Yes (By choice) (24 votes [36.92%])

Percentage of vote: 36.92%

2. Yes (Because it's forced) (3 votes [4.62%])

Percentage of vote: 4.62%

3. No (By choice) (36 votes [55.38%])

Percentage of vote: 55.38%

4. No (Because it's not allowed to be) (0 votes [0.00%])

5. No (Because my screensaver can't be password protected) (0 votes [0.00%])

6. I've never heard of password-protecting my screensaver (2 votes [3.08%])

Percentage of vote: 3.08%

Do you force others to lock their computers? (By group policy, etc.)

1. Yes (7 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

2. No (28 votes [43.08%])

Percentage of vote: 43.08%

3. No (I can't) (5 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Does not apply (25 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
So, what do people here think about locking their computers? I always lock mine, since I don't want nosy parents or siblings poking around at home, or random people walking around the computer lab messing stuff up at school. My screensaver is also password-protected, but it doesn't really apply since I always lock up before it gets a change to kick in anyway. I force all users of my computer to have a password protected screensaver, except for the accounts that aren't allowed to lock the computer for various reasons (such as the guest account).
-Idontwantspam

What's your home network like?
Windows 7: It does fancy!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts
I always lock my machine, it's just habit.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

lingk

lingk

• 46 posts

same here. When i first got my job where i work now, no one locked there computers, then i set it to lock after 15 min and let me tell you people started to yell. I told them it's to protect you so someone can't get on it and do something and you get blamed. I also said you should lock it right away whenever you get up.

users.. they always think IT is out to get them.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
The answer to life, the universe and everything = 42
--
lame

anonymous_user

anonymous_user

͏͏͏

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
Nah I dont lock it. Only my parents have access and likely they wont mess with it anyways.

bledd

bledd

msfn is a friend of mine!

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,733 posts
enforcing it after 5-10 mins in the workplace is good practice, if anyone moans, tell them to work harder & stay at their desk!

i never lock my home pc, only me and my girlfriend use it, we just share one account

bonestonne

bonestonne

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
at home its just force of habit, i just lock it when i walk away unless i'm still in view of the monitor.

in school its required though, my account has admin privileges so its very important that i do.

New Machine:
|Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620--Xigmatek SD1283 DK-II x2|Asus Z9PA-D8--HR-55 IFX|Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD SATA3|32gb DDR3-1600 ECC RDIMM|WD Blue 640GB SATA2 x2|Apple Slim Keyboard|Apple Mighty Mouse|nVidia GTX660ti 2GB|Antec HCG-750|NZXT Source 210 Elite|M-Audio ProFire 2626|Art TubeOpto8 with Smooth Plate Tube Swap|Avid Artist Mix x2|Acer S211 HL-BD x2|

Old Machine:
||Core 2 Quad Q9400||Scythe Ninja||MSI Neo P45||Thermalright HR-05||M-Audio ProFire 2626||Cooler Master Elite 330||
||Apple Mighty Mouse||150GB WD Raptor HDD||640GB WD Blue||HL DVD+/-RW||nVidia GTX260||
||8GB DDR2-800 Dual Channel||Corsair 400CW PSU||Dell basic USB KB||150GB WD Raptor||2x 22" LCD||
||Boston Acoustic mains + Creative sub||Innovation Cooling Diamond 7 TIM||

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

in school its required though, my account has admin privileges so its very important that i do.

I take it you're a staff member, presumably an IT person? They sure don't give students admin rights at my school! :P In fact, this year they decided to not even let us lock the computers, by disabling the Lock Workstation button when you press Ctrl+Alt+Del. However, fortunately, making a shortcut to lock the workstation works - under windows 2000, it's
rundll32 user32.dll LockWorkStation
, but under XP that doesn't work. Fortunately, a shortcut to tsdiscon will work. :D

All of the staff at my school district have complete admin privileges, yet only a few lock their computers. :ph34r:
-Idontwantspam

What's your home network like?
Windows 7: It does fancy!

Stoic Joker

Stoic Joker

I Hate Titles

• PipPip
  • 280 posts
Lock Computer: Work=Yes / Home=No - Unless we have company...

SS Password=No (I don't use screensavers/just let the screen blank)

Force others to Lock comps: I haven't yet...

Thunderbolt 2864

Thunderbolt 2864

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
I voted all the options no, only my siblings and I use my computer and they aren't going to mess up anything. Why even bother, its a pain to type in a password.
PC 1: Intel Xeon E5 2687w | 32GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | Corsair AX1200 watt Power Supply | 20x LG SATA DVD+/- RW | LG BluRay/HD DVD Combo Drive| Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers | 42" Toshiba 42XL700a at 1920x1080 1080p | ASRock X79 Fata1ty Champion | Aerocool Strike-X ST Black | 1x OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 1x 4TB Western Digital Hard Drive | Windows 8 x64 Pro

Win2k3EE

Win2k3EE

• PipPip
  • 222 posts
I don't lock it, 'cause I have no kids (yet :D) and my wife works on the PC only under my close supervision. ;)

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
The screensaver is force on me, but I normally lock or hibernate my machine when I walk away depending upon how long I am gone and where I'm going next. I have a laptop and 4 offices.

souldreamer

souldreamer

• 18 posts
No. I live alone :)

ripken204

ripken204

The Hardware Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

at home its just force of habit, i just lock it when i walk away unless i'm still in view of the monitor.

ya i am the same at school. actuall i think that i am one of the only students who even has the privledges to lock my computer.
sometimes people would just lock there comp, walk away, and not come back, meaning that the computer would have to be restarted for someone else to use it..

even at home i lock my comp, i hate people messing around on my computer then messing something up.

Desktop: || lappped Q6700 w/ lapped TRUE || ASUS P5Q Deluxe|| Sapphire 4870 1GB || Mushkin Ascent XP2-8500 (2x2GB) || 2 x WD6400AAKS || Corsair HX620W || Lian-Li PC-60FB || 2 x BenQ G2400WD || Vista Ultimate 64bit || Samsung SH-S223Q || Logitech MX518 || Logitech Ultra-X || SteelSeries SX || Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 || ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe ||
Server: || E5200 w/ XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 || ASUS P5Q-EM || EVGA 8800GTS G92 w/ Accelero S1 R2 || G.SKILL 6400 2x2GB || 1 x WD6400AAKS || 4 x 1TB Samsung F1 || SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM || Antec Three Hundred || Samsung SH-203BL || Ubuntu 8.10 ||

Maleko

Maleko

Gold Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
I always lock my computer at home and work.
Posted Image

Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP

• PipPip
  • 124 posts
I lock my laptop whenever I leave it and since its my own laptop, only I use it no one else. ;)
Posted Image

beats

beats

Free cookies

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

What he said. :)
Building switchless installers and addons upon request for registered RyanVM.net and WinCert members.

Andrew932

Andrew932

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
Yes.

CaptainStacks

CaptainStacks

Junior

• Pip
  • 97 posts
I lock my computer at home out of habit.
"When we don't know who to hate, we hate ourselves." Chuck Palahniuk

Panarchy

Panarchy

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
I love it when people don't lock there computers... I stick my USB into there computer and steal all there passwords! :D

Legolash2o

Legolash2o

Windows 7 Toolkit Programmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I always lock mine and have screensaver password incase i forget to lock it. Don'y like people being nosey lol

Edited by legolash2o, 23 November 2007 - 01:43 PM.

Posted Image

awergh

awergh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

They sure don't give students admin rights at my school!

i had admin rights in high school

anyway umm when im using xp i tend to lock, when using 98se i cant be bothered to set a user password so i dont have any point in locking

Polarman

Polarman

Long Live PC's

• PipPip
  • 143 posts
I don't lock mine. I don't need too.

If my pc was password protected, my wife would find that suspicious and would probably imagine all kinds of stupid things. Since i have nothing to hide, she can poke all she wants. She as her own pc and i know when she pokes around on mine when i'm not there.
[MSI K9A Platinum][FX62][4GB OCZ(Crossfire)][2XATI X1950Pro][2XRaptor74GB][Viewsonic VG2030WM][Vista HP32]

Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP

• PipPip
  • 124 posts
^^ lol. :D
Posted Image

Lost Soul

Lost Soul

Snap ... Crackle ... Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
i dont really need to but some times i will when there are nosey visitors around, its better to be safe then sorry, id rather not lose any of my data due to being to trusting in everybody

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But, it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

- Winston Churchill

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,766 posts

Donator

I do lock it because some people at work have been known to try doing stuff with it. Not at home though. It never goes to sleep.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN