XP installation hangs with 9 min left: "Saving settings"

kingharrie

What could be going on here? I tried same/very similar setup from version 1.4 and version 1.3.5 the 1.4 build it stops at Saving Settings again. But when I tried with 1.3.5 it moved along ok!

I've attached both logs. Both times I used clean XP SP2 CD (removed couple unused folders e.g. LANG and the upgrade ones)

LAST_SESSION1.3.5.INI

LAST_SESSION1.4.INI

heffalump, your presets are hardly the same. Try the 1.3.5 on 1.4, it has wmp10 addon moved below hotfixes, that could do some good.

But there are more differences so simply load 1.3.5 preset in 1.4.

A long shot but if someone retries it please add

sysparse.exe

into the components - advanced - keep box, just a guess by looking at the differences.

(check later if that file is in the i386 folder)

And also try by removing any WMP installations during install, just to find the cause. Not the component, but the integrated WMP addons and such.

Try not to remove NetDDE if you do. Netlogon as well, and Messenger.

Then without "Change Windows Explorer folder view" tweak if you use it.

Also you might wanna try nhelper.ex_ from 1.3.5, overwrite the one in 1.4 before using 1.4. I'm not sure if that will cause any other issues but it's worth trying.

Last, try overwriting sfcfiles.dl_ file from 1.3.5 configured with the same preset.

I hope someone will try all this, I would if I had that hang issue, thx.

Hi, this is interesting - ok I loaded my 1.3.5 config file so it should be the same (I used 1.4 nLite) and this time it hangs in 1.4 - so it should be exact same config. So it worked for 1.3.5 but not 1.4 (clean source both times!)

I will try your suggestion later, it is getting late for me now :)

LAST_SESSION1.4NEW.INI

Edited by heffalump

Hi, an update from me. I tried this time without the WMP10 addon and it didn't freeze in 1.4 I don't know why the same addon works in 1.3.5 but not for me in 1.4

Here is the link to the actual addon. It's a German site but the WMP addon installs fine to English using 1.3.5

http://www.sereby.org/index.php?cat=xu_addons#WMP10

Edited by heffalump

heffalump, ok, MarkCoolio confirmed the same so I'll try that method to provoke the hang. It's not addon's fault, it's just something it calls is broken then it gets manifested.

Ok the version you PM'd is working. I got the WMP10 in German language lol not English but that is probably correct because it is German version on the website (not problem of nLite) I wonder why it installed as English in 1.3.5? Well anyway no problem I can look for an English version of WMP10 addon instead. Thanks for fixing this :)

Edited by heffalump

Just to tell to others that we're still not sure if it actually helped because you removed the WMP hotfixes which were not necessary with that addon (or are they?) or the version itself.

Btw mixing those Mediahotfixes with that German addon is a disaster in it self, this is a good info for others as well.

Hi All,

Nlite is a fantastic tool and many, many thanks to nuhi and all who are involved.

Starting with a fresh XP SP2 (SP2 was previously slipstreamed over a SP1a CD).

I have had several T9 hangs. At first I believed it to be associated with something I removed; now I'm not so sure.

T9 hang #1

I added drivers for Jmicron IDE, Intel ICH9 chipset and RealTek Ethernet. Burned an ISO and installed (real hardware, not VM). Everything ok.

I then, over the top of the XP source from above, removed components - non-US keyboards, non-English languages and just Firewire Network Support (not the base 1394 FW support). That CD resulted in a T9 hang.

T9 hang #2

Starting over with a fresh XP source, installing all drivers above plus KB888111 (high def audio) without deleting removing any keyboards/languages. Everything ok.

Now here's the strange part. Trying a second install with the exact same CD resulted in a T9 hang. Only difference was after choosing to delete the install partition, I resized it to less than full volume (10GB) and chose NTFS quick format.

So, thinking perhaps full format vs quick format, re-installed using the same CD - everything ok!

T9 hang #3

Going on the previous experience of retrying if I get a T9 hang, I built another CD, starting from fresh source with RealTek Audio drivers. T9 hang installing. Retry, everything ok. For this install I was using a KVM switch and can't be 100% sure when during the install I had the switch selected to other machines. For the successful install I had the install machine selected the entire time.

So at this point I'm rebuilding each time from a clean source, formatting the install partition (not quick) and during the install leaving the KVM switch selected to the install machine. So far out of 3 builds 100% success - no T9 hangs.

Current things I've asked Nlite to do:

Drivers - IntelChipset, Jmicron IDE, Nvidia, RealTek Ethernet and Audio

Hotfixes - KB888111 (high def audio)

Removed - All non English languages and all non-US keyboards

Cheers,

Phred

Edit - no I was right the first time.. :-)

Edited by Phred

No it won't.

Today managed to provoke this in Win2k with SP5.1, reason is SFCFILES.DL_ file. You can overwrite it with the one from 1.3.5 if you can't wait.

I'm fixing it of course.

edit: Fixed for 1.4.1 version.