VBS scripts seem to work properly.
I think it's a registry issue because restoring related files (or those I thought were related - about a dozen) didn't solve the problem. The problem was solved only after restoring old files and restoring the registry to a prior day.
The uninstaller, used from the Control Panel's "Install/Uninstall Program" interface, returned an error: "C:\Windows\System\wshcon.dll" was not installed or is corrupted. And in fact the file wshcon.dll didn't exist at this time.
Uninstalling MSE 5.7 didn't solve the problem.
Reinstalling WSH 5.6 didn't solve the problem neither.
I restored the file with the help of my Installed File Checker (which is a HTA application but...HOO!Hah!.. the core VBS script that it uses can work without the HTA!) and the files saved with my Installed File BackUp utility.
But as I said, only after I restored the registry, the problem was fixed.
My system is w98se uSP3.0 Beta2 + various updates.
Installation of MSE 5.7 was done normaly according to instructions (reboot).
Here is the update in question:
Removed version check for MSE 5.6.
Replaced WSHOM.OCX with 126.96.36.19932 from Win2003 SP2.
Fixed registry values for CSCRIPT.EXE + WSCRIPT.EXE which install in %windir%\SYSTEM :
* Unofficial Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME Scripting Engines (MSE) 5.7 include: VBScript (VBS) 5.7, JScript (JS) 5.7, Windows Script Components (WSC), Windows Script Host (WSH) 5.7 + Windows Script Runtime (WSR) 5.7:
Unofficial MSE 5.7 188.8.131.5235 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME [711 KB]:
MSE 5.7 requires MS IE 6.0 SP1 or newer already installed:
This post has been edited by Fredledingue: 22 November 2007 - 02:45 PM