Sound card : Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro

Keyboard : Saitek Eclipse II

Mouse : Logitech MX Revolution

LCD Panel : HP 30 inch

Optical Drives : 20 x DVD burner from Samsung x 2

Speakers : Creative Gigaworks S750 700W 7.1 setup

Webcam : Creative Live Optia AF

Some pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/suryade/MyRig

Mind I am not finished cuz I gotta tie down all those wires in there. Also trying to think what OS to go with ...XP 64 bit or Vista 64 bit...

Edited by suryad

did you seriously buy that! it's a beast! lol

go for vista x64. you want dx10 dont you?

now what i dont get is that you spend that much on a computer and you didnt go with watercooling :no:

also why that sound card and speakers? you should have went with the new x-fi and if possible find my speakers.

and have you tried out that mouse before? many say that it is uncomfortable. some love it.

otherwise everything is just unbeleiveable.

Edited by ripken204

did you seriously buy that! it's a beast! lol

go for vista x64. you want dx10 dont you?

now what i dont get is that you spend that much on a computer and you didnt go with watercooling :no:

also why that sound card and speakers? you should have went with the new x-fi and if possible find my speakers.

and have you tried out that mouse before? many say that it is uncomfortable. some love it.

otherwise everything is just unbeleiveable.

Sorry but what do you mean the new x-fi? Cause this is the one I got. http://us.creative.com/products/product.as...p;product=14064

And I didnt go with watercooling cause I am kind of scared of it :P

Also the mouse is just fine. It fits well in my hand. And I adapt very easily as well :)

Also the reason why I am debating XP vs Vista is because of the drop in fps in games and other performance glitches that are present in Vista. I think XP has been around long enough and so has XP 64 bit to go with that for now. And honestly seeing as there is virtually no difference between DX 10 and DX 9 games at the moment other than DX 9 games just have much higher fps I dont see a reason to go with Vista. Heck even SP1 is not out yet and from all the reading I have done (granted the SP1 is still in RC status) there is no performance improvement. Maybe a delta of 1-2%. I was expecting higher than that. Also vlite is only in 1.1 beta so I am gonna give Vista a few more months say mid of next year another look and then see if there is any benefit. And I will prob upgrade my cards again next year when the nextgen is out. By then 10.1 DX may catch on...who knows.

Edited by suryad

I dunno. I guess that wasn't a totally scientific answer. It's just that x64 in general is not totally developed and most stuff will probably be developed for vista not xp now, and there won't really be any older stuff for xp x64. Better drivers, etc. I would think.

(disclaimer: I rarely use x64)

If you have the $$, then you could get some x64 edition of Windows Server 2003, and use the workstation conversion mentioned somewhere on this site, but that would be a bit expensive.

creative allowed another company to use the x-fi :)

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_prelude.php

Looks like the exact same as the card I got down to the PCB except for some more connections at the back and maybe one more Dolby codec. I could be wrong though. But the main reason I went for the creative setup is that external box.

I dunno. I guess that wasn't a totally scientific answer. It's just that x64 in general is not totally developed and most stuff will probably be developed for vista not xp now, and there won't really be any older stuff for xp x64. Better drivers, etc. I would think.

(disclaimer: I rarely use x64)

If you have the $$, then you could get some x64 edition of Windows Server 2003, and use the workstation conversion mentioned somewhere on this site, but that would be a bit expensive.

Agreed that things will be developed predominantly for Vista ONLY but that seems to not have happened yet and not for the forseeable future especially considering that the EOL of XP has been pushed even further into the future. People know that there are some who have moved to Vista and some who have not. It would be foolish of them to give up on XP as a dominant platform just yet.

oh definatly read up on the card, they are totally different.

and go with vista x64. you got this rig to game, and the new games are dx10. so why wouldnt you use vista!?

Yeah it definitely seems to have an edge over the creative...hmm but would I really notice it?

Also with DX 10...well not many games are out warranting a slower OS. Take crysis for example. Compare the dx 9 very high settings and dx 10 no difference. You can actually tweak the engine to get the dx 10 look while running on xp in DX 9 mode.

Edited by suryad

well why would you even want to go with xp. i used to use xp x64 and now i have vista x64. both are good but i just like vista alot more. do you plan on using xp forever? you need to make the switch sometime.

I intend to run with XP until I find a need for Vista pretty much. I like the UI in Vista. Thats about the only thing. ITs slow that is my biggest problem. A lot of things seem incomplete and broken. XP has been tested and been fixed quite well so until there is a compelling reason and no DX 10 is not a compelling reason...and neither are the slow I/O issues...and neither is the slow startup...etc etc a good enough reason for me to try out Vista. I am not going to spend 200 bucks for a copy of an OS that really has nothing new to offer.