Created some shit you don't want leeched from you website?

Big Booger

http://www.rediff.com/search/2001/sep/27know.htm

This site has some code, in case you are not a big time html coder that you can copy and paste into your website to help protect it from being manipulated, borrowed, stolen etc... It's basic code, and may not be 100%, but I think it will deter people from stealing your iconz, designs, logos, sigs, etc...

Big Booger

easy bypassed, in IE go to View > Scource. so much for stopping right click, as for images etc, they can be taken using copy and paste usually, or by jumping to the exact images path on the webserver. also theres this thing called your cache....

PHP is excellent in that way, as they visitor only gets the output from the script.. not the actual script itself, eg.. right click on this page and view scource, youjust get HTML, you dont see the SSI or PHP code.

(apart from aaron, who manages to do something supposedly very hard to do just by visiting, but i think thats a web washer bug)

also encrypt the source code or scramble it, as I read this on another site. Though now I have forgotten the link. I know it's far from perfect, but it could stop a few saps from stealing your stuff.

BB

I also know that writing your stuff in flash stops it from being mooched.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't encrypt it.

This is the problem with modern IP thinkers.

They feel like they SHOULD be able to do things like this. Code is supposed to be free. Things are supposed to be built on OPEN STANDARDS. You seem to think otherwise. I would REFUSE to browse any site which even tries such tactics; they are thinking in all the wrong directions.

There are some major problems with all of those 'suggestions'.

First, any web site which uses java script to disable right clicking should just be left. It's such a usability problem, and SO simple to get around. Not everyone uses IE. Not everyone uses Windows. Not everyone uses x86 computers. You can not stop anything without having physical control of the hardware.

It's almost as bad as real player. They try and have a way in which you can't save the stream. Yet they just make it obscure. And anyone knows security through obscurity just doesn't work.

All of those suggestions are a usability nightmare...

Big Booger

Ok, well I must say one thing, I don't personally give a rats a**. I just thought it would be kewl to have the ability to protect an image, a icon, and other artwork from being copied or manipulated especially when considering the time it takes to make such things. I too think the internet should be open a free for all. Who gives a rat right!

Big Booger

Sure, you can do this. But anyone with a clue will just write a quick perl script to put it into sane HTML, and then use something like 'indent' to put it into good formatting as well.

Like I said, security by obscurity is no security at all.