Windows 95, Media Machine

Vince4Amy

In addition to my OpenSUSE 10.3 boxes, I run one more machine using Windows 95. I've set this up as a media centre, it plays all of my audio from my server and I have recently bought a TV Card and installed it. The machine is really fast to use, even though I have updated it and changed a lot of the configuration. It's primary media player is VLC Media player so it supports the latest formats. The primary browser on this machine is Opera.

I have recently installed AMSN Messenger, which I also have on My OpenSUSE boxes just to prove to people you don't need the latest versions of MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger to voice clips and some of the other features.

The System spec is as follows:

Windows 95B with USB Support Installed

1GHz Pentium III

512Mb RAM

16Mb Shared Graphics

40GB Hard Disk Drive

Integrated AC97 Sound Card

I must say, with the PC specs you have I am a little bit surprised you haven't switched to a more entertainment oriented OS like Windows XP. Its not that 95 is bad but because there isn't a lot of support for it anymore. There are more application choices in XP.

I must say, with the PC specs you have I am a little bit surprised you haven't switched to a more entertainment oriented OS like Windows XP. Its not that 95 is bad but because there isn't a lot of support for it anymore. There are more application choices in XP.

On the other hand, when all applications you need are available for W95, why use XP? Seeing the specs I suppose this machine will boot from BIOS exit to GUI in 3 seconds. XP will do it in maybe 30 seconds?

20 secs... seems you should use a fixed IP address?

BTW, got a similar PC here as work PC, and with it's Win98/95 mixture, it beats XP/Vista on any 2-3GHz machine (someone recently was fascinated especially how fast a Win9x machine can shut down :). Especially the Explorer/shell of Win95 is ligthning fast, so Win95 lacks USB and support.

There's no point of upgrading the Operating System. Windows 95 runs all of the applications I need it to and at a fast speed, much faster than my OpenSUSE machines would have. If I was going to upgrade it then I would put OpenSUSE on it, but there's simply no point it does what I intended it to do:

Play Music

Play Videos

Play DVD's

Watch TV

Browse The Internet

This machine was built from spare parts that come from scrapped machines that customers no longer needed. Windows 95 was £5 from a local computer store.

Edited by Vince4Amy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...