DirectX DirectDraw

M4ngr0v3

When Playing Halo I recieved the error message that DirectDraw accelleration is not available so I went to DxDiag and it says "Not available". The Approx Total Memory shows as "n/a" and the first DirectX Test (Hardware accelerated DX7) fails with an "out of memory" error message. I have a ATI Radeon HD2400Pro made by MSI.

When I use any drivers other than the ones from the cd (I think it's 8.33) the system goesd slow, with CPU Kernel times above 90%. Please Help!

_____

ATI Radeon HD2400Pro

AMD Sempron 3200+

1.5GB RAM

MSI AMETHYST-M Motherboard

3 HDDs on IDE (80GB, 40GB and 20GB)

_____

I have tried a clean boot, disabling remote desktop, disabling remote assistance, disabling remote desktop sharing in netmeeting, and disabling write combining. The hardware accelleration slider is on full. my DX runtimes are the latest.

I don't want to format.

DXDiag log attatched.

DxDiag.txt

Is this XP or Vista? That sounds like a driver problem, please uninstall whatever video drivers you have and then download and install the latest Catalyst drivers from here:

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Choose XP or Vista, then install just the Display Driver, not the CCC or anything else, and reboot. Then post a screenshot of your dxdiag Display tab.

If your System process does tax your cpu then we will investigate that next.

but it's only the MSI drivers which DONT tax my cpu - even the VGA drivers tax the system.

ATI Catalyst 7.11 drivers showed the same problem. I would post a screeny but the system takes over 1/2 hr to install the non-taxing drivers to get back to 'normal' and I don't have enough time.

This is XP SP2. and I said it was slooow. installing the latest drivers is not the problem. installing the older ones so I can get the computer back to normal speed while it's in 'SLOW mode' - CPU at 100% and kernel times above 90% :blink: