Profile wont load

Robbiec

My default profile on Windows Vista Ultimate won't load

Event Viewer is showing theses error's

"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system"

"Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile"

"Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. "

When I do login by clicking my name, it appears to create a profile under "C:\Users\TEMP"

My normal profile still exists on the PC and the documents/desktop icon are not removed and are showing as they should under C:\Users\Robbie

Anyone seen this before ??

Yeah i had that happen on one of the machines I was testing vista on. Its a wonderful little security hole (see if when you run something if it shows up as being run by SYSTEM in the task manager)

I had to just create a new admin (which was interesting since i was logged on as power user since my admin account wasnt even loading), log on as him, delete all accounts and recreate them

Kepp in mind that I had no data on the system so no data was lost. You may want to make a backup of your C:\Users\ folder before removing the users

"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system"

"Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile"

"Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. "

So, the next question is, when did this start, and what (if anything) did you do right before that? It sounds a lot like something on your machine is opening (and keeping open) handles to files in your profile, which the profile hive cleanup service doesn't fix (it can only unload registry handles). Does this happen in safe mode?

Thanks for the reply guys.

The issue still occurred in safe mode and normal mode but only on my profile not others who use the PC.

Google didn't want to be much of a friend lately and couldn't trace down the exact error or fix and my Vista needed a rebuild so that has been done.

Funnily enough after a clean install, the error still appears in my event viewer under source " User Profile"

"Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards" Event ID 1530

but the difference this time is 2 mins later under source "User Profile"

"The User Profile Service has started successfully. Event ID 1531

Maybe some funny RAM ?

Windows xp had a known issue with 3rd party programs causing registry damage because they left the registry open when the computer was shutting down. The solution was the xp hive cleanup utility, i believe. It seems vista has the same issue. As cluberti elluded to, some 3rd party program you've installed is not compatible with vista. Check each program for updates and make sure it's compatible.

-gosh