Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Diskless Windows XP boot over network

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

lesterhung

lesterhung

• 24 posts
  • Joined 02-June 05
Hi
I am very new to this and have done a little bit of research.
Client Computers will have NO harddrives, and will boot from the network.
Basically the client computers will have NO harddrives, but they will need to be able to boot into windows xp with the softwares that I want.
One computer will act as the server which holds the windows image files.

How do I get a windows image file? and what software do i need on the server to respond to network boot requests from the client machines?

I have used tftpd32.310beta in the past to boot client PCs into Linux. But this time I need clients to be able to boot into Windows XP.

Any help is appreciated. I really don't know where to start looking

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Pyrosoft

Pyrosoft

• 28 posts
  • Joined 02-June 06
Assuming you don't mind the 24 hour limit then you could just use PE to boot up and load RDP automatically which would connect to a terminal server?

If you're not going to have a hard drive then you'll either be limited to remote desktops of some description, or having lots of RAM in the boxes.

Jazkal

Jazkal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Joined 16-January 04
Windows XP can't be loaded as you describe. However, you can configure BartsPE to look and behave like XP. You would need something like the XPE plugin for BartsPE.
Did you RTFM?

aspenjim

aspenjim

• PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Joined 09-April 05
<edit> my post didn't fully apply so i removed it

Edited by aspenjim, 02 December 2007 - 12:11 PM.

Mr Le V

Mr Le V
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 06-December 07
You must use a 3rd party solution to be able to actually remote boot Windows XP on diskless nodes. I am not talking PE boot, but the real Windows XP stuff.
I know Neoware Image Manager (now HP Neoware Image Manager):
http://h10010.www1.h...86-3646231.html
There might be other solutions as well

Hope this helped

likuidkewl

likuidkewl

[Centos~]$

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Joined 16-September 03
I know this is venturing off topic but since XP cannot be used that way(2003+ Without CAL's), you may want to look into Linux's LTSP program(s).

Edited by likuidkewl, 08 December 2007 - 02:56 PM.

BLOG...

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
there are numerous client server applications to do this. Search for 'xp diskless terminal' and you will find numerous results. Or terminal server.

mats

mats

• PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Joined 10-May 05
take a look at XP embeded. It should be able to do this.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,682 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Or use diskless angel:
http://www.disklessangel.com/

I guess it is the cheapest of the available COMMERCIAL solutions, and has virtually no limits as there are packages for 1, 2, 3 and 4 gigabyte sizes.

Alternatively, and provided you are ALLOWED to use SERVER 2003 SP1+ files, and willing to be limited to 512 Megabytes, you can use euhenio's method:
http://www.911cd.net...o...19056&st=29

Of course using tftp32....

jaclaz

framacomputer

framacomputer
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 10-January 09
Hi Guys, i've just a little problem....

My configuration: SERVER HP PROLIANT ML350 G5, 3 HDD SAS 160GB RAID 5, 4GB RAM Windows 2003 sbs r2 CLIENT: 7 HP Neoware e90

i installed in the server HP Neoware Image Manager, TFT Service and DHCP (everythings fine).
From a desktop standard pc running windows xp pro sp2 i starded the client image builder, and everithings gone well, the thinclient e90 can boot from network by pxe and windows xp is going to start, during loading it restart itself!

when it restart propose the classical start windows normally etc..... and then restart again!

i think it's a driver problem ide drivers or something like that, but i don't know the solution for this trouble! do you know a way for fix this?

Thanks!

Edited by framacomputer, 10 January 2009 - 08:07 AM.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,972 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Assuming you don't mind the 24 hour limit then you could just use PE to boot up and load RDP automatically which would connect to a terminal server?

If you're not going to have a hard drive then you'll either be limited to remote desktops of some description, or having lots of RAM in the boxes.

I hear all about this 24 hour limit everywhere but fail to see it in action. I've successfully had a machine booted into the WinPE for well over 3 days and still be fully functional! Is this a limitation to the PE that is built by the WAIK? I don't use the WAIK, maybe that's it.

You must use a 3rd party solution to be able to actually remote boot Windows XP on diskless nodes. I am not talking PE boot, but the real Windows XP stuff.
I know Neoware Image Manager (now HP Neoware Image Manager):
http://h10010.www1.h...86-3646231.html
There might be other solutions as well

Hope this helped

A product I know of is Ardence. It has problems with certain Intel boards however. Something about a pre-disposition to suspend to Hard Drive over RAM, whereas it does not work properly if no HDD is present on those boards. Says that Shared mode does not work this way but Private mode does.

take a look at XP embeded. It should be able to do this.

XP Embedded uses a hardware specific config file. It is possible but each Embedded boot image would have to have a different file based upon the client config.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,682 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
@Tripredacus
You realize that you are replying to posts over one year old, do you? :unsure:
Which WinpE version are you referring to, WinPE 1.x (XP based) or WinPE 2.0 (Vista based)?
1.x definitely had this limit, for which different workarounds were found:
http://www.911cd.net...w...=7049&st=90
Cannot say about 2.0.

@framacomputer
It's not the best of ideas to add an unrelated request for help on an unrelated topic.

However, at which point of the booting does the XP restarts itself?

Does it create a BSOD?

Is the PC diskless?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 15 January 2009 - 10:41 AM.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,972 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Heh I guess I missed that. I'm using WinPE 2.0.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

Mr Le V

Mr Le V
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 06-December 07

Hi Guys, i've just a little problem....

My configuration: SERVER HP PROLIANT ML350 G5, 3 HDD SAS 160GB RAID 5, 4GB RAM Windows 2003 sbs r2 CLIENT: 7 HP Neoware e90

i installed in the server HP Neoware Image Manager, TFT Service and DHCP (everythings fine).
From a desktop standard pc running windows xp pro sp2 i starded the client image builder, and everithings gone well, the thinclient e90 can boot from network by pxe and windows xp is going to start, during loading it restart itself!

when it restart propose the classical start windows normally etc..... and then restart again!

i think it's a driver problem ide drivers or something like that, but i don't know the solution for this trouble! do you know a way for fix this?

Thanks!

You need to "inject" (or Insert") the e90 drivers into the image you built from your desktop PC.
Use UBInsert tool for that purpose.
The process is described in the user's manual. Search for "UBInsert", you should find the correct section

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,682 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Since this topic was once again "re-vamped", I guess it may be of general use some newish achievements on related matters:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=2798
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=7964

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users