C1E and EIST confusion

clidx

http://techreport.com/articles.x/7998/2 says that c1e works by lowering the multi and vcore and eist works in the same way except the OS has to be capable of it as well. is this true? i thought that it was c1e controlling the vcore and eist controlling the multi.. :blink:

or is it something else? if the site is correct than is it better to have eist on, c1e on or both on? they don't affect stability when they're both on but nothing seems to be done to the voltage when either/both are on, ever (which i blame on the p5b deluxe's vdroop, but i don't know).

can anyone clarify this for me? thanks.

edit: after rereading the article, it says that eist changes the settings more gradually than c1e does, and of course, c1e support is greater as the os doesn't have to be capable. so which one is better, would cause less stability issues etc?

Edited by clidx

so c1e is just the multi and EIST is vcore and fsb. strange, never seen EIST drop the bus speed... :S

and i disabled EIST when overclocking, got stable speeds, stopped vdroop on my p5b deluxe (pencil mod), lowered the voltage as much as possible and turned EIST on again and p95 passed for 9 hours. now I'm happily running at 1.275 in bios and 1.264 when EIST decides to drop the vcore.

so thanks for all your help on clarifying jcarle and punto!

... turned EIST on again and p95 passed for 9 hours.

:P... You can’t test stability of your system and EIST when it’s always on full speed... test it in real-life computer usage, e.g. let the Pc do "nothing" then start to use it, stop and start again, and so on...

well my pc is usually idle unless i'm gaming. haven't had any problems yet so i don't think i'll stress test that thoroughly. p95 passed with EIST and C1E on so in real world use, if it crashes, that's the first thing i'll try, ie turn off eist ;)