How to find siwtches

Snake007uk

Hi Guys,

I am new to unattended installs, and think its great and saves alot of time. I am always helping out family with rebuilding there machines etc..

What I wanted to know is how do you find out what switches an app has so you can do unattended installs?

I basically want to install the following:

Winxp

Java (ryanVM)

Acrobar (ryanVM)

AVG free

Office 2003

Nero

Codecs (kl-mega codec pack)

VLC

firefox

The idea is the windows unattended install, installs, winxp, java, acrobat, avg, codecs, vlc and firefox. Then I could click on a bat file which would install office or nero.

I am just trying to figure where i would go to get switch information, this way i could create one batch file which would install all additional apps after windows install and windows install would run this batch on first boot.

Well ....

one way is that you configure one machine properly

2. Sysprep that machine

3. use WinPE cd and ImageX to capture the image as a WIM file

4. then copy the wim image to a network location

5. afterwards use WinPE cd and ImageX to deploy that image

# a captured WIM file for Vista can only be deployed on machines with similar HAL

Sysprep and unattended installations are two different things :rolleyes:

To find available parameters, run the installer of the application adding /? to the command line. Most of the time this will show all available commands which you can use with this specific installer. You can also simply start the installer of the application and see if you can recognise the installer screens; perhaps there is also an about box in the installer itself while installing. In the Unattended Guide you can find various default parameters for installers such a MSI-files, InstallShield, et cetera.

you can use /?, -?, help,-help, -? with avg free, it just comes up with an error.

This is my point, is there documentation? how is the information gathered? there must be a official way of getting this info for any application?

Universal Extractor can told you what kind of installer do you have.

Then you can use this information: http://unattended.sourceforge.net/installers.php

Switches:

Firefox: -ms

k-lite: -makeunattended and then configure the installation

Nero: you can find autoit scripts

VLC: /S /NCRC

For Java use Rogue Spear installer (is newer):http://www.doitrightconsulting.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132&sid=216171872b482494a608f07c88437eb8

This is my point, is there documentation? how is the information gathered? there must be a official way of getting this info for any application?

Not really. Not all vendors use the same software to create their setups. And thus, not all applications use the same switches, and some don't even support switches at all. There is some 'documentation' though, take a look at this and this thread. ;)

Nero 8.1.1.4

SetupX.exe /qb! /NORESTART AgreeToLicense=Yes NSC_DEFAULT_OFF=TRUE SERIALNUM_USERVAL=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx ADDLOCAL=ALL REMOVE=NeroToolbar6231A394,NeroBurnRights72CC518F,NeroImageDriveE38B9E06,NeroCDDVDSpeed82602EE0,Nero
DriveSpeed7DFFCC12,NeroInfoToolE72D824A,NeroRescueAgentDE0B9FB0,NeroHome2FF8B816,NeroStartSmartB0354
4E,NeroSoundTrax716FE146,NeroVision57D52359,NeroBackItUpCB9D5429,NeroCoverDesigner7CE8D626,NeroWaveE
d
itorFA3A3F7B,InCDC9AC4AC7,NeroShowTimeD773A6E2,NeroMediaHome53BEFA20,NeroRecode6035F00C,NeroPhotoSna
p
ED1EAF52 RebootYesNo=No

only nero burning rom, nero express, nero scout (OFF, u can turn it on if u want), manuals chm, control center (ho to disable it?)

if u prefer install other things, remove the feature e.g. remove the string "NeroImageDriveE38B9E06".