Vista/Vlite Autounattend.xml & USB Flash Drive

advocate_hf

Hi

Can someone please explain to me why when after I copy the entire contents of a v-lite'd Vista image to a bootable external HD/Flash drive and attempt to Install Vista from it, the autounattend.xml is not passed and Vista prompts me as normal?

The autounattend.xml is what v-lite generated and is in the ROOT of the bootable USB HD.

Nuhi, I remember reading a comment from you some time ago regarding a similar prob, was it ever resolved?

thanks for all your help,

Adv.

No one believes me :)

I said unattended doesn't work for me, but all they ask is basic questions.

Btw that error is unrelated to vLite.

What you could try is that manual diskpart thing, if you used Logical Disk Manager like I did.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=715889

Not sure how this would solve my problem. There is no issue with me booting from the external drive, just that the autounattend.xml is not used throughout the install even it is in the root of the usb drive.

I understand that vista processes the autounattend.xml using a specific search order and if you booted a vista dvd with a flash drive plugged in that has the autounattend.xml, Vista would see this and use it. The prob is, I am not using the DVD just a USB HD with the install files and the autounattend.xml.

Any ideas?

thanks.

Then maybe it's the bios setting or type of USB stick/hdd.

Friend for whom it works uses a USB stick, not hdd.

For me when it failed I also used USB hdd.

My bios had some emulation option in the bios but I didn't play with it too much. Somehow this is starting to be interesting, my DVD RWs are really slow on booting.

Then maybe it's the bios setting or type of USB stick/hdd.

Friend for whom it works uses a USB stick, not hdd.

For me when it failed I also used USB hdd.

My bios had some emulation option in the bios but I didn't play with it too much. Somehow this is starting to be interesting, my DVD RWs are really slow on booting.

Weird, It doesnt work when on my Attache PNY 8GB Vista ready USB thumb drive either. Dont think it has anything to do with the 'type' of usb drive and in essence why would it?

I have tried it on two different mobo's and my lappy and guess what? Neither pass the autounattend.xml, this is very strange.

Shame you cant produce some sort of debug log when installing..... Or can you????

I'm just listing the (even remotely) possible differences, you don't have to bury them if you have the answer.

Gonna try that manual partitioning just in case and tamper with the Bios settings. But probably someone else will do it before me because I just reinstalled my OS.

I read somewhere, can't remember where, that the autounattended.xml file sometimes must be in the sources catalog for this to work. Have not had the time to test it yet.

Maybe you have tried this already......

Funny you should say that, was going to try it last nigth but totally forgot!! I'll give it a go later and feedback the results....

I never had any issues with installing from USB-Stick - but there are 2 things that might be the issue for you:

#1 make sure you partition your stick manually using diskpart

diskpart
select disk 1
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=fat32
assign
exit

be carefull - the disk 1 is for the usbstick - use disk list if youre not sure which is your usb-stick

#2 make sure you remove all Vista DVDs from all drives before you do a reinstall - i had autounattended fail when original dvd was left in the drive.

hope this helps :-)

• 2 months later...