Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XP Basic CD Unattended SATA/RAID Install

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Pure Krome

Pure Krome

Junior

• Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 16-August 03
Hi Folks.

some of you might know me from my previous post about how to windows OS to detect your SATA HardDrive via booting of a CD.

Well, after lots of trouble, i've found out how :)

It's too long to post, so i've places all the images, files and a long Doco in a zip file, and hosted it somewhere. It would be nice to get someone here (aaron?) to host it offically on this site, if it's approved. Also, this is via [MassStorageDrivers] method, not hacking the hivesys.inf method...

any feedback here ... and i hope people find it helpful.

Linkage: Download Zip file here (1.32MB)

Disclaimer: A huge chuck of credit goes to Gosh, so don't abuse me saying other people have said this stuff

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jonnywi

jonnywi

• 35 posts
  • Joined 08-September 03
@Pure Krome
thx guy for this guide!
i followed this guide for the promise fasttrak 100 lite controller!
it funzt!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thx, i love you!
i spend realy a lot of time for integrating raid controller with this version!
thx that you not followed my post, on which i said, that this only run with network installation.
but i think, this way only functional with the minimazed source via starting setup32.exe
this is like networkinstall via setup.exe
if you have a original cd with $oem$ structure, i think, this doesn't run. or????

but i found one failure in winnt.sif!!!
you wrote:
[MassStorageDrivers]
; Any CD Roms - requird for CD Install
"IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller" = "RETAIL"
but i need:
"IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE-Controller" = "RETAIL"
is this only in the german txtsetup.sif?

thx, i love you
jonny

Pure Krome

Pure Krome

Junior

• Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 16-August 03
Hi Jonny..

this way only functional with the minimazed source via starting setup32.exe this is like networkinstall via setup.exe

Yep! Bingo!

With gosh's example of reducing the size of your boot cd via setup32.exe, i quickly figured out (*cough* guessed *cough*) that the NORMAL XP CD does some invisible extraction at the start, which prepares itself into a format just like a network install. I new what a network install looked like, based on your post.

the only problem is, this pre-extraction/pre-preperation (for a normal CD Install) is buggy - it doesn't properly copy over the drivers, how the offical documentation suggests.

With a few tweaking, it can be done now.

"IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller" = "RETAIL"

yeppers, this must be for the English version. I didn't know there were other versions of this, for other languages, but yeah ... you pointed out the HYPEN that exists in the german version, which doesn't exist in the English.

good work!!

now, i wonder if anyone else finds this helpful :)

my2001

my2001

• PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Joined 31-May 04
(removed)

Activate: AMD

Activate: AMD

• 10 posts
  • Joined 23-September 04

Pure Krome,

I followed the guide to it's end and ran into a problem: when I use the cd to run Windows setup it tells me that the file \$OEM$\iaStor.sys is missing and setup cannot continue. Using the guide I included drivers for my Promise PCI RAID card. It requires the following files: fasttx2k, fasttx2k.cat, fasttx2k.inf, fasttx2k.sys, ptipbmf.dll and txtsetup.oem. I never even tried to include a file called iaStor.sys so I wonder why the setup routine calls for it. And I wonder how I solve this problem.

As a matter of fact the cd I created with the guide's help is at least in my case inefficacious.

//edit: The file attached is an image of what I see when I use the cd to install Windows. In english it reads "The file \$OEM$\iaStor.sys could not be loaded. Error code is 18. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit setup."

i got a similar error. It is vital that i do this because my floppy controller (not the drive, the motherboard itself) does not work. thus, i cannot use a floppy and am forced to use a method like this to install my shiney new raptor.

so i put in your disk, but i had to change your raid controller to the Sil 3114 that is on my computer. its basically the same, except when you put MBT432 or w/e i put si3114 and did everything as explained. when put in the burned ISO it tells me that i need to insert "Windows XP Home disc into drive A" and when i put the real install disc in it does not work either, i get some kernell debugger error and the error number is either 18 or 16.

Im getting tired of all this work im putting into this thing and theres so many complications! :realmad:

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03

Pure Krome,

I followed the guide to it's end and ran into a problem: when I use the cd to run Windows setup it tells me that the file \$OEM$\iaStor.sys is missing and setup cannot continue. Using the guide I included drivers for my Promise PCI RAID card. It requires the following files: fasttx2k, fasttx2k.cat, fasttx2k.inf, fasttx2k.sys, ptipbmf.dll and txtsetup.oem. I never even tried to include a file called iaStor.sys so I wonder why the setup routine calls for it. And I wonder how I solve this problem.

As a matter of fact the cd I created with the guide's help is at least in my case inefficacious.

//edit: The file attached is an image of what I see when I use the cd to install Windows. In english it reads "The file \$OEM$\iaStor.sys could not be loaded. Error code is 18. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit setup."

i got a similar error. It is vital that i do this because my floppy controller (not the drive, the motherboard itself) does not work. thus, i cannot use a floppy and am forced to use a method like this to install my shiney new raptor.

so i put in your disk, but i had to change your raid controller to the Sil 3114 that is on my computer. its basically the same, except when you put MBT432 or w/e i put si3114 and did everything as explained. when put in the burned ISO it tells me that i need to insert "Windows XP Home disc into drive A" and when i put the real install disc in it does not work either, i get some kernell debugger error and the error number is either 18 or 16.

Im getting tired of all this work im putting into this thing and theres so many complications! :realmad:

Have you tried DriverPack MassStorage? Should work flawlessy! With a couple of clicks and few editing...

qualle

qualle
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 15-April 04
Bâshrat the Sneaky:
Take a closer look at your picture Steps\Images\Step2.PNG , you may want to remove that. :lol: You are now well know in our IT-Department, sorry for that, i had to lough very loud :whistle:

All: I have a Raidcontroller SIS 180 on a P4R800 mainboard. I tried the guide on the greenmachine website, did not work. I tried this guides, did not.
I'am very frustrated now. may someone wants to help me?! It says that there is no MSD installed... :blushing:

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03
Erm??? Why are you accusing me of something that isn't mine? I've never made a file called step2.png... I think you think I'm the one who made the guide above, but that was Pure Krome ;)

And... I'm well known in your IT-department? LOL I guess that's because of the error in the image?

Drazick

Drazick

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 14-November 04
Did the Official Windows XP SP2 microsoft disc (not manually slipstreamed) solved the problem? Does it have a SATA drivers?

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04

Did the Official Windows XP SP2 microsoft disc (not manually slipstreamed)  solved the problem? Does it have a SATA drivers?

i believe it doesnt have built-in SATA drivers... i believe the mass storage driverpack is the quickest fix to that.
Please join the growing Filipino Community of PC Experts and Enthusiasts
Posted Image

SC00BS

SC00BS

• 46 posts
  • Joined 29-October 04
I've got a sata drive and installed XP with SP2 official MS CD not slip streamed. At no point did i have to manually install the sata drivers. I've used this cd as my base for my AIODVD.

Drazick

Drazick

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 14-November 04
Does anyone has a link for such CD? I only have the RTM version (Bought on store)..

Anyone???

muiz

muiz

SPECIAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Joined 03-August 03
\Disk.tag THIS IS NOT IN MY TXTSETUP.OEM ?

now im stuck at that point

This doesnt work for me

any 1 who has the via sata, 1 that works?

Electrician

Electrician

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 04-February 05
@scoobs
You likely have a MOBO that emulates PATA. (DOS compatable mode)
That is what allowed you to install XP - it saw it as standard ATAPI during the text portion of setup.
Did you not see an exclaimation in device manager after final GUI boot?
If you don't install the actual SATA drivers, you won't see the speed benifit.

Or maybe you have a special version of XP.

Snoochems

Snoochems

• 13 posts
  • Joined 22-July 05
dead link.
Anyone know where i can obtain this from?

jivemastert

jivemastert

• 15 posts
  • Joined 31-July 05
I'm looking for it as well. Thanks.

pier39lab

pier39lab
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 25-July 05
Broken Link! Any Mirrors??

dons

dons

• 11 posts
  • Joined 26-December 03
Thanks

• 2 posts
  • Joined 23-October 05
Dead link... Can anyone repost this method? Thanks.

http://avarice.cc

eloco

eloco
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 25-October 05
The link to the guide is broken... :(

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03
Try this guide!

Closed this topic, since the link seems to be down, nor can I find it anywhere on the net to put it back online. I don't think this tutorial was widely used anyway.

If you think this thread should re-open, or if you still have the file on your hard disk, please PM me!

Edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky, 26 October 2005 - 05:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users