Fresh Win98SE install needs fixes. Where to start?

ACWraith

I read the rules, but I'm not exactly sure where to place this so please forgive me if I posted in the wrong forum.

My hard drive crashed and, being unable to afford a more modern computer, I bought a new hard drive and am struggling to get Windows 98SE running like it used to. I've been browsing the various updates available here for the past few hours, but I have no idea where to start. I do know that I'm just looking for bug fixes rather than any sort of customization. However, other than obviously not being ready for things that require IE6 yet, I don't understand what order I should be going in. I would appreciate some help.

Language: English

What I have now:

Windows 98SE

Internet Explorer 5.00.2614.3500

What I lost:

Internet Explorer 6.0

Every official critical update up until Microsoft's update stated it would no longer support Windows 98.

Windows Media Player 9 (10?)... probably the least of my worries

Given your needs, the core of your fixing activity should centre around two projects on these forums:

Unofficial 98 SE Service Pack (USP) (current version: 3.0 Alpha 2)

Auto-patcher for Windows 98 SE (current version: October 2007 Full)

These together include just about all the updates you'll need to get you back to where you were (or thereabouts). Auto-patcher is more comprehensive in terms of the number of components you can choose to install (including DirectX, .NET Framework 1.1, Windows Media Player 9, etc.), but still I use both of these projects in conjunction, because I'm pernickety ;) (it also makes sense because they use different methods to install updates, meaning that some files are installed by one of the two projects that are not installed by the other).

Two notes about the USP:

1. The link to the USP on the first page of its thread is broken. MDGx saves the day however: you can download version 3.0 Alpha 2 of the USP from his site.

2. While I have used version 3.0 Alpha 2 and it appears stable, you might want to use the older, stable, non-alpha 2.1a release instead (which, naturally, doesn't contains all the latest updates).

A note about Auto-patcher:

It is completely customiseable in terms of the 'modules' you can choose to install. For example, if you don't want to install .NET Framework 1.1, you can deselect it (make sure to read Auto-patcher's usage instructions). Be aware that, if you choose not to install a particular module, you might not be able to install another one as a consequence - when the installation of the latter module's components depends on you already having the former's components installed on your system.

When installing 98 SE, I often use other update packs too, as well as both of the above (just to make sure - you could I guess use just one or the other, because there is considerable overlap between them). I'll mention them below in the rough guide to an installation order below:

1. Windows 98 SE

2. DirectX 9.0c (included in Auto-patcher, but personally I install it first, before using AP)

3. All the drivers for my hardware, starting with chipset drivers, then graphics card, then sound card, then modem, then printer... etc.

3. Internet Explorer 6 SP1

4. Maximus Decim's InternetExplorer 6.0sp1 Component Update 1.7, which brings IE6 up to speed (download MDIE6CU here)

5. Unofficial MDAC Update (MDDACU) 1.3 installs MDAC and XML updates

6. Any Microsoft Office programs

7. Unofficial 98 SE Service Pack (find links above)

8. Auto-patcher for Windows 98 SE (find link above)

9. Unofficial Windows Media Player 9.0 (WMP9) Update Rollup Pack only if you installed Windows Media Player 9 (e.g. in step 8, using Auto-patcher)

10. Any other further updates you choose, depending at least partly on what you chose to install using Auto-patcher.

Again, this is rough. As a general rule of thumb (to help fill in any gaps), it's probably best to install other unofficial packs on these forums - the 'customization' ones you mention, such as Revolutions Pack and 98SE2ME - after either the USP and/or the Auto-patcher. Installing some packs too early on in the process will cause you problems when you come to install other packs (such as those listed above). For example, in the past, some users reported that installing 98SE2ME and Revolutions Pack via Auto-patcher caused problems. If you want to installs those packs, I suggest you do so by visiting their repective threads, and then download the packs and install them individually. Anyway, always look at the threads of the packs mentioned above for more information about any incompatibilities that exist between them.

Phew! Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by bristols

Thank you very much. :)

I downloaded all of the files. I got to step three and Windows Update started working. I downloaded 25 critical updates and some shutdown fixes. Could I already be about where I was before my hard drive crashed? (Based on what Microsoft is offering, I mean. Obviously, I don't expect you to know to the contents of my former hard drive. ;) )

I'm wondering if my goal was naive. I was worried about replacing Microsoft's work when the local shop I took my computer to said I wouldn't be able to do it. The option to provide further stability didn't even cross my mind. It seems like I was looking for a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

If I attempt to add more stability with the unofficial updates, will my installation of the official updates screw me up?