Customizing install.wim (before/after vLite)

NoisySniper

I use vLite to add hotfixes and to do some mod of things I do not want to have. Great program!

I found that I can add files and folders to the image by mounting it, copying files and folders to the mount-dir and commit to save the image. When I mounted the image it was like 1,5Gb, after i added the files and folders it grew to about 2,7Gb. The files/folders I added was max 20Mb. It's just some small stuff I always add to the disk after installing.

So the questions are:

1. Is this the MS way of saving install.wim or did I do something wrong. (I can't see what I did wrong by mounting/unmounting & commit....)

2. If I add these files/folders before using vLite, they will not be removed by vLite?

and one more:

I got "error" - driver not signed problem - using ATI 7.11 driver in vLite, (earlier post - Nuhi will look into that, probably already found the problem ;) ), but I believe drivers can be added in WAIK also and if so, will this be without "error" when installing?

If you add it before vLite into some of your new folders in the root, vLite won't delete it.

If it grew by 1.2GB then for sure you didn't just add 20MB.

If that Ati driver has multiple INF files in the folder try to figure out which one is that you don't need and delete it. I'm considering options to change the integration routine to reduce these popups.

Also editing the ATI inf file can cause the driver to be unsigned, when i moved the drivers out of that B_55190 folder and edit the inf, basically all the files are in one folder instead of two. When i did that the driver became unsigned and popped up during install, if i left everything how it was then every works fine except sometimes blank screen during the rest of the install.

Thanks for quick answers. I'll check out the inf-file(s).

It's actually 9.2Mb added, and it grew by 1,23Gb. Strange, very strange. Mounted the image again, to check for "unwanted" files/folders, but it seems to be "clean". I will give it another try. Probably a hickup or something :whistle:

I add one folder in the root (with subfolders), there are some icons and wallpapers and a couple of small programs in Program Files, and shortcuts for those in the start-menu. Will vLite remove these files? They are not "related" to any MS-stuff....

Edit: It seems to be a hickup here too, some id*** renamed the folder and didn't change the xml-file :blushing: I'll kill him when I find out who he is...

I also tried to add drivers by using WAIK and followed instructions from Firegrier, but I always get error :

.... Pkgmgr: Install Drivers Offline Callback: ERROR: Failed to find driver packages at 'D:\Vista\Drivers' (Error code (HRESULT) 0x80070003.)

It's the same folders I use in vLite, and the same folders I use if installing manually, by locating driver in Devicemanager or by running setup...

This is not a big thing, it's just ATI & Creative that is the problem, all others seem to be fine

Nuhi, I hope you plan to add som tweaking possibility. That is a lot of work, but a shortcut to that would be a page to run programs like bat-files & reg-files.

Edited by NoisySniper