Cannnot access msfn.org home page
Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:27 AM
This behavior started about a week ago. Instead I get a 'File Download - Security Warning' dialog box asking:
Do you want to save this file?
Type: unknown file type, 17.7 KB
I haven't change any of my firewall settings lately (I'm using Norton Internet Security 2007). In fact I have the same issue when I temporarily turn off the firewall. I have no problem accessing the forums, as I am using the same PC right now.
Anybody else having this problem? Any ideas?
Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:03 AM
- cache cleared
- cookies deleted
- Windows firewall: OFF (disbled from install)
- NIS2007 firewall turned off
I have no problems with forum URL, but I can not access the home page
Oh yeah, using IE 6
This post has been edited by Mr Reorg: 09 December 2007 - 07:03 AM
Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:23 AM
But I'm not trying to download any file when I get this. All I'm doing is typing "www.msfn.org" in the IE address bar. I get the same dialog box if I click on the RSS feed links I use on my Google home page. But if I type "www.msfn.org/board" I can access the main forum index page without any such problem.
I even put msfn.org in the Trusted Sites in IE's Internet Options /Security tab
Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:43 AM
Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:12 AM
No joy. I was able to access those sites linked at the URL you provided.
This is getting very frusting!
Any other thoughts? Anyone?
Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:20 AM
I didn't have any other browser installed, so I installed FF.
I've never used any other browser and never tried FF when I read about the memory leaks, since I only have 512 megs of RDRAM - you read that right. I'm using a 5 year old Dell machine that uses Rambus memory.
During the installation of FF I elected not copy over anything (i.e. bookmarks, etc.) from IE.
Result: No problem access the MSFN home page with FF.
But I'd still like to figure out why I'm having the issue with IE.
Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:46 AM
Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I ran process monitor, but I wasn't sure how to read & use the info it gave me.
Ayway, I started playing around with various settings under Tools / Internet Options and the problem disappeared. Stupidly, I didn't test after each change I made, so I'm not quit sure which one did the trick.
The bottom line is....problem resolved.
Thank you all for your input.