CompUSA closing all its stores

erfahren

For all you folks in the US (and has heard of them), I just heard that CompUSA was bought out and all the stores will be closed (for good). Apparently it's all happening pretty quickly.

-- I have one near me but hardly ever go there anymore (and when I do I rarely buy anyhing worth mentioning). I'm sure I'm not alone in that so I guess it was inevitable.

It sounds like they might liquidate their inventory after the holiday sales.

CompUSA was an anchor store at the local shopping plaza where I lived in New Jersey. What I remember from going there over the years from 1998-2005:

- WE OPEN AT 9AM. NOT 8:57AM. 9AM. (this was on a brutal cold Saturday morning)

- Their gaming section was decrepit and neglected. I mean dirty, old torn boxes, etc. It was disgusting.

- Any demo input devices (keyboards, mice, controllers) were usually broken and horribly outdated

- They never got any latest title sooner than a month after it came out

- Typical clueless sales staff

- They sold like two Lian-Li cases. Every other case, and every other accessory, was no-name generic stuff

- They had dirt cheap and reliable CompUSA branded blank CDs. I think I still have some somewhere.

When Best Buy opened midway between this CompUSA and another a few miles down the road, it pretty much destroyed all of their business.

For anyone who has never been to a Fry's, you want to make an effort when visiting anywhere that has one to check it out. They are CompUSA on steroids. You can buy a computer, a stereo, a refrigerator, a stove, and Transformers toys all at one place. Oh and the one by me has a cafe in the middle, so I can do all this AND get a bite to eat, without leaving the store.

CompUSA died, at least in my opinion, due to the fact that they couldn't really appeal to the "general public" who know nothing about computers - partly because the staff knew less than the customers in most cases, and partly because they never had anything new or really gotta-have-it in the store, and when they did, it was more expensive than CC and BestBuy. And, most self-respecting geeks buy most everything online, shopping at chains like that for the basics (blank CDs/floppies, emergency supplies, etc) - that isn't gonna make you money, ever.

I only went there when they had free media after rebate :) They did have some aggressive sales if you didn't mind dealing with rebates.

I hear Fry's is the best alternative to CompUSA but I've never been to one.

there's a few compusa's by my area here in Miami. I'll pass by one of them to see if I get a crapload of CD's for dirt cheap...other than that. I think the only i've EVER bought there was an HP digital 5mp camera for 100 bucks! and that was 2 years ago!!!

maybe i'll find a wireless router for the girlfriend so she can be mobile with her laptop at home!

sorry to see you go compusa

i went to the compusa today...so far it's just 10-15 off stuff...10% of routers, cases, etc. various items with various discounts. nothing too crazy. it might be too soon to buy stuff. a 60 buck wireless G router for 60 bucks - 10% is not much of a discount for me when they have a 'going out of business sale'. i'll pass by again in two weeks to see if there are better deals.