NET Framework 3.5

Lusitano

Hello.

I'm Windows XP SP2 Portuguese with NET Framework 3.0 installed. Microsoft released NET Framework 3.0 SP1 and NET Framework 3.5. Now I'm confused :blink: Can I use only NET Framework 3.5 and it will run software which requires older 2.x/3.x NET Framework ?

And also is NET Framework language dependent? Because my Windows is Portuguese and there's no NET Framework 3.0 SP1/3.5 in Portuguese (only English).

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 needs version 3.0 to be installed. If you launch the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 installer and version 3.0 is not present, it will be installed first. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 requires version 2.0 however, so if Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 is installed and version 2.0 is not present, it will be installed first. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 thus contains the latest version of version 3.0 and version 2.0. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 is not included in version 3.5, so if you run any applications which require version 1.1, you will need to install it separately still. So in short, if you want all versions of Microsoft .NET Framework installed, you will need to install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and 3.5. I hope this clears things up. As for the language question, I'm afraid that I can't be of service as I only use English language installations.

Also keep in mind that there is no redistributable version of 3.5 yet. Running the 3.5 installer on a machine that doesn't have .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.0 will download those components before installing them. If you're installing multiple machines I would recommend grabbing the .NET 2.0 redistributable, .NET 2.0 SP1, the .NET 3.0 redistributable and .NET 3.0 SP1. Installing those before hand will reduce the amount of files that the .NET 3.5 install has to download/install.

• 3 weeks later...

The redistributable with .NET 3.5 contains .NET2.0, .NET 3.0 SP1 AND 3.5

That's why it's big.

BTW it says, that it needs to download something from the Internet, which is not actually truth, as it can be installed without an Internet connection.

But it DOESN'T contain .NET 1, which you have to download and install separately.

Refer to this thread.

Edited by spitf1r3