GUIDE: Download Everything Microsoft (MSDBuild v5.5)

The guide has been successfully tested on:

• Windows XP Pro Volume
  • Windows XP Pro OEM
  • Windows XP Pro Retail Upgrade
  • Windows XP Home OEM (plus Dell and HP Royalty OEM licenses)
  • Windows XP Home Retail
  • Windows XP Home Retail Upgrade

The base CDs are usually Gold, integrated with SP3. You are doing something wrong, you just need to figure out what you are doing wrong. The fact you do not get any Start Menu shortcuts tells me you are not doing one or more of the following, or not doing them correctly:

• Building MSDownloads.exe according to my guide.
  • Copying MSDownloads.exe file to your XPCD\i386\SVCPACK folder.
  • Adding the MSDownloads.exe entry to svcpack.inf correctly.

Try doing the following (nothing more and nothing less):

1. Skip making and including MSDownloads.exe and ensure that you can successfully integrate KB942288.exe, and KB898461.exe into your XPCD. After you install Windows with your XPCD, check that these two updates no longer appear in Windows/Microsoft Update.
  2. Once the above is working correctly, go back to your XPCD and try adding WindowsUpdateAgent.exe. Remember, you need to unpack the Microsoft download and repack it in order for it to install silently. Follow the Guide section on how to do this.
  3. Once the above is working correctly, go back to your XPCD and try adding MSDownloads.exe. Just create this file thusly (nothing more and nothing less):

1. Download WinRar and install it to: %ProgramFiles%\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe (This path is important.)
    2. Download Windows Updates Downloader (WUD) by Jean-Sebastien Carle (JCarle on MSFN.org) and install it.
    3. Download MSDownloads.ulz (link in first post). This is an update list that should automatically import itself into WUD.
    4. In Windows Updates Downloader, check the MSDownloads category to force all related files (including my MSDBuild.exe) to be re-downloaded to your MSDownloads folder.
      NOTE: For now, do not include your own DataStore.edb file, instead let MSDBuild.exe use my own file, which is named DataStore.ed_.
    5. Open the MSDownloads folder, and double-click on MSDBuild.exe to recreate MSDownloads.exe.
Your resulting file should be:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MSDownloads.exe b5b4e0513e141323194c78b98c1c2759 2008-07-19 3:30 PM (GMT -5 +1 for DST)
File Name		   MD5 Hash							 Modified Date: 

With everything added, your svcpack.inf, should look something like this:

KBnnnnnn.cat <------------represents other integrated Windows Updates
KB942288.cat <------------Required, integrate with /INTEGRATE
KB898461.cat <------------Required, integrate with /INTEGRATE
... <------------represents other integrated Windows Updates
KBnnnnnn.cat <------------represents other integrated Windows Updates

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
KBnnnnnn.exe /q /n /z <--represents other integrated Windows Updates
KB942288.exe /q /n /z <--Required, integrate with /INTEGRATE
KB898461.exe /q /n /z <--Required, integrate with /INTEGRATE
... <--represents other integrated Windows Updates
KBnnnnnn.exe /q /n /z <--represents other integrated Windows Updates
QChain.exe <--Recommended, you add this to svcpack.inf.
WindowsUpdateAgent.exe <--Required, you add this to svcpack.inf.
MSDownloads.exe <--Required, you add this to svcpack.inf.
[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

You must also copy the following files to your XPCD\i386\SVCPACK folder:
  • QChain.exe
  • WindowsUpdateAgent.exe (after you follow my guide to repackage it)
  • MSDownloads.exe

Do it by the numbers, and report back.

Yea, i did a search on Google and found it. I did what you said and the installation worked although one of the updates i integrated did not work but after reading the guide from your link i think i know why. Did not know that the hotfixes had to go in numeric order. :blushing:

• 1 month later...

DarkShadows: I tried finding Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications - KB905474 for XP 64bit sp2, but no luck. Now im sure one could possibly find out what kb that is for x64 with just looking under windir folder and finding the uninstall for it, if it creates a uninstall folder.

I'm just saying that it would be neat if one could have all the x64 links to downloads also.

I'm going to check the list and see what other i can find/can't find.

Obviously MSI installer 4.5 exists in download link for x64 as well as Windows update agent.

Edited by TranceEnergy

WUA version 7.2.6001.784 is out as described here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/New-Windows-Upda...le-t118110.html

@strel

Thanks for the heads up! B) I'm working on an update right now.

DarkShadows: I tried finding Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications - KB905474 for XP 64bit sp2, but no luck. Now im sure one could possibly find out what kb that is for x64 with just looking under windir folder and finding the uninstall for it, if it creates a uninstall folder.

I'm just saying that it would be neat if one could have all the x64 links to downloads also. I'm going to check the list and see what other i can find/can't find. Obviously MSI installer 4.5 exists in download link for x64 as well as Windows update agent.

@TranceEnergy (and anyone else using Windows XP 64-bit)

I don't have Windows XP 64-bit to test with. So take whatever I say next as pure speculation and rely on your own testing to prove things.

As I documented in this guide's Version History, I updated InstWGAV.inf as of v3.0 so that it properly registers LegitCheckControl.dll without requiring Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications. Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications is no longer a requirement for Windows XP 32-bit.

What does his mean for Windows XP 64-bit? I really have no idea. I don't even know if XP 64-bit downloads the same .cab files, or how the ActiveX controls get registered on XP 64-bit. On Windows XP 32-bit, the ActiveX .dll files usually end up in %WinDir%\System32 (one ends up in %WinDir%). But I suspect this may be different on 64-bit. I also suspect that some registry settings will be different. But without the software to test on and rip apart, I really can't help you 64-bit folks much.

If you know how to read registry settings in an .inf file, it should be pretty clear to look my Inst*.inf files (inside my MSDBuild.exe WinRar SFX) and compare the 32-bit registry settings I'm settings to the ones on your 64-bit OS. Who knows, maybe my .infs will work on XP 64-bit without modification? (I doubt it, but might be worth a try on a test PC).

If you can use what I have posted to figure out an air-tight proces for Windows XP 64-bit, I will be happy to post a 64-bit download. But you 64-bit folks are going to have to do some home work on this and report back here.

No one has ever told me if my guide even works on Windows XP 64-bit or not!

@everyone

Here, let me kick it up another notch ... BAM! B)

I have updated the Guide and downloads to v4.0. Things just got a little simpler. Read the Version History section in the first post and the related sections for details!

@strel

Thanks for the heads up. Read the updated Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications section in the first post. If you could test everything in my guide on your retail/OEM license and let me know if it works for you? On the volume license I'm using, WGAN installs but I can't see any feedback when windows runs.

There is no need to trim SFX-MSD.cmd. As I documented in the 1st post, SFX-MSD.cmd will safely skip installing any missing Inst*.inf files. So if you don't want to install Office Update, simply delete the two files below from your WORK subfolder, then re-execute MSDBuild.cmd.

• InstOUIE.inf
  • InstOGAV.inf

Yes, I know, it's only to preserve all files in place in my disk.

If I could make you a suggestion about your guide, maybe the unused languages removin issue in the windows update agent section, should be clarify. While in past versions was overpowering clear, in the actual version it has to be guess.

Edited by strel