CPU chip is clocked at 97 degrees celsius?!?

rjisinspired

This is the bios screen. I haven't fixed the acpi issue yet from another post I made so I'm not able to make it to windows yet. The only things I'm running is the bios screen. This can't be right?

Checking the fans, the cpu fan and heatsink is affixed flush and locked down on the cpu and spinning and the front and rear fans are on also. They are appear to be clean.

amocanu

You might be onto something here. If I remember correctly if I was running at a critical temp the system would alarm or do something. Well, I don't see any smoke so maybe things aren't that bad

According to some overclocking sites, I should normally be in the 30's for celsius :blink:

Edited by puntoMX

Depending on what kind of heatsink it is, see if you can touch it with your finger somewhere close to the base. If the computer is running, then the heatsink should be at least warm. If it's cold to the touch, then your heatsink isn't doing anything to help cool your system. If that's the case, then you'll need to remove the heatsink and reinstall it with proper thermal paste.

Hey guys. It looks like the reading was false. The board was slightly warm but not hot. The thermal digital readout display has issues in that it doesn't display the digits right, they're kind of incomplete but the thermometer graphic on the display is slightly below halfway point so as to indicate no overheating. The numbers looked like they were 30 something?

I updated the bios with the iFlash DOS utility during my fiddling around. The bios screen still displays 97C but the thermal probe seems to be reading somewhere in the 30's C region. Can't tell because of the incomplete numbers on the display but the little thermometer graphic is showing slightly below half way.

97C = 206.6F, looool. I think it's a false reading. I Haven't seen, smelled any smoke and I haven't blown up yet so I think I'm safe.

97C = 206.6F, looool. I think it's a false reading. I Haven't seen, smelled any smoke and I haven't blown up yet so I think I'm safe.

I've only seen 90+ Celcius twice. The last time it was because the person who built the PC left the plastic film on the heatsink AND put CPU paste there. Removed plastic and it went down to normal lol. The other time was when the CPU melted into the motherboard on the server at college when someone decided to lock the door to the server room.

Hmmm didn't notice any plastic film for removal, nor is it in the instruction booklet that any plastic film exists. Unless what I have is different? Stock intel fan.

How often should you replace the grease coating or the pads? Would actual tubed grease be better? Cleaning looks like it's going to be fun down the road, lol.

You should replace the thermal grease every time that you remove the heat sink.

This is a nice instalation guide for the stock Intel heat sink.

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view....d=1215&pg=6

Arctic Silver 5 is most widely proclaimed to be the compound to use. SVCompucycle has it for $6.99 with free shipping (be sure to check the U.S.

Mail option when ordering)

http://www.svc.com/cooling-accessories.html

AS 5 instructions

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruc...lecore_wcap.pdf

Edited by RJM