Slipstreaming NT4 SP6a

fdv

• 7 months later...

The whole point of slipstreaming a service pack is that afterwards you don't have to apply it, just install windows, unless I'm missing something, yet here we have a process which still requires it, the requirement is just hidden by the redirect to bearwindows for the instruction.

I thought I'd found something really cool here, it would seem I was mistaken. :(

You don't need to re-apply SP6a. Wendy completed the INF. PM me for more detail.

• 1 month later...

I've revived the old tapes saved to cdrom. I've been off line some what, and the system had a few crashes. still it was all on a diskette some time back, so that's good, too.

MODS: most searches point to this thread, so it's best to allow me to revive it - rather than locking it out because it's old. Please don't lock it!

The current intent is to build a post-rollup, for which one expands the sp6a and the rollup, and then run assorted supplied scripts to integrate all of the stuff into the winnt source files.

There's a couple of extra fixen existing, which are part of DOS (like the phatcode qbasic fix), which i plan to sneak in as well. They're mostly fixes, not new functionality, although some consideration to be given to EDIT along with QBED (edit.com v 1.0 or 1.1). Maybe even a DOS help file for Windows nt4!

And, yes, it really does work without having to apply sp6a or anything.

Edited by os2fan2

MODS: most searches point to this thread, so it's best to allow me to revive it - rather than locking it out because it's old. Please don't lock it!

Rest assured it won't be locked... we at MSFN don't frown on old threads reactivated for good reasons. BTW, it's good to have you around again, welcome back! :hello:

The current intent is to build a post-rollup, for which one expands the sp6a and the rollup, and then run assorted supplied scripts to integrate all of the stuff into the winnt source files.

So I'd unpack sp6a to a directory, the same for q299444i.exe roll-up and also for later fixes (those in the first post).

Keep the hotfix.inf that comes with each fix,

and "run assorted supplied scripts" ?

Do you have (test versions of) these scripts?

I'm currently working on a rxloop script for the post rollup fixpack. This consists of a csv-style table, which is run to generate the output. A possibility is to read the [Files] section in dosnet.inf etc to get the assorted working lists. Because rxloop allows you to build scripts, you can keep the hotfixes in their original order, and select the files directly from unpacked hotfixes. At the moment, i am halfway through the rxloop table.

There are several different setup routines, some of which have registry patches. These are being saved as well. I am not sure whether to write these as registry files or prepare a rexx registry processor to do this. The rexx registry has the advantage of being able to read registry, and also write reg_expand_sz strings without having to do unicode binary stuff. The data file could look like this. cdd also will make the folder if it does not exist. it depends on w32utils.dll behaviour.

cdd hklm\system\....
dword name=value (decimal or hex)
string name=value
none name
delete name
expand name=string

• 3 years later...

It's been a long time, but I somehow decided to once again install nt4.0 and update it so I finally registered here on your fine forum so I can ask you this.

Apart from this topic I was following hpcfactor's guide

on updating the system and both list similar/same updates, however the updates are nowhere to be found anymore.

I managed to find them on various university (ftp) servers up to Q839645; Q840315 and on is nowhere to be found.

I was wondering could someone here help me get them?

Check also here:

and on the Wayback Machine:
https://archive.org/

(though not everything has been cached, sometimes files can be found)

Consider how a lot of this files might have been renamed, when archived on this or that FTP site (or wherever) as an example WindowsNT4-KB840315-ENU.EXE, specifically for it (and for a few later ones), looky here ;):
ftp://piekraste.daba.lv/pub/Service_Pack/NT_4/SP6/hotfixes-postsp6a/security/

It is not at all easy to find them (if possible at all) anymore :(

jaclaz

Thank you so much for the help, jaclaz. I'll check the links and see what I can find.

The odd thing though is that I did search extensively on the web archive, but fund absolutely nothing or maybe 1 file.

It's like they removed the files or didn't save them or I just didn't look on the right spots.

All I found there was the whole names of the files so I could then search around and get them.

Yep, as said it is not easy :(, a lot of files went through the stupid doanload.aspx or thankyou.aspx and then possibly some through to conxion.com and they were not cached by the WaybacK Machine or - more probably - they were cached but we can't find them, most of the files for which we do have an actual download link are usually cached, but in the meantime a lot of places where such direct links were posted went down, it's a mess.

Additional resource (just in case) sporting many such "direct links":
http://erpman1.tripod.com/archive/wnt4upd.html

jaclaz

I see. Well that is quite awkward. Even the erpman's site while it's very informative - contains by now broken links on M$'s site which only hosts article anymore an no hotfix/patch.

Sigh. If I knew it will be so I'd download all I could years ago and make a big pack with a .bat file for installation but now it's all over it seems.

Strange affection I have for this old oddity, that is NT4 must be because I tried it way back when it only came out on my old Cyrix 200+ non-MX and installed it on

the second 420MB drive (one was Conner, the other I don't remember right now).

One would almost think there'd be a pack of all these patches and fixes at least in zip form made by someone, but nope. I guess when people saw as I did slipstream is no-go, interest withered away... Ces't la vie.

• 3 months later...
On 5/23/2016 at 1:41 AM, modnar said:

[..] but now it's all over it seems.

It's been over, for a long while already IMO. If we were making a Windows XP x64 post-sp2 install-thingy, I could dig that!.. Even a Windows 2k one (maybe, but doubtful); However, WinNT: even some (in the past!) awesome video-adapter, with I-don't-know-what built-in analog filters and such which cannot (ever) be emulated, properly, digitally - it's, JUST, too old to be of any significance... Or, rather, of any consequence.

(I know, some (?!) may disagree, but it is what it is. :))