Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Slipstreaming NT4 SP6a

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

pcalvert

pcalvert

• PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Joined 21-May 05
BeardedBlunder,

I have to say that I agree with you. An updated service pack or an updated post-SP roll-up seem like better approaches.

Phil

"Thinking is hard work, which is why so few people do it." - Henry Ford

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts
  • Joined 16-July 04

The whole point of slipstreaming a service pack is that afterwards you don't have to apply it, just install windows, unless I'm missing something, yet here we have a process which still requires it, the requirement is just hidden by the redirect to bearwindows for the instruction.

I thought I'd found something really cool here, it would seem I was mistaken. :(

You don't need to re-apply SP6a. Wendy completed the INF. PM me for more detail.

os2fan2

os2fan2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04
I've revived the old tapes saved to cdrom. I've been off line some what, and the system had a few crashes. still it was all on a diskette some time back, so that's good, too.

MODS: most searches point to this thread, so it's best to allow me to revive it - rather than locking it out because it's old. Please don't lock it!

The current intent is to build a post-rollup, for which one expands the sp6a and the rollup, and then run assorted supplied scripts to integrate all of the stuff into the winnt source files.

There's a couple of extra fixen existing, which are part of DOS (like the phatcode qbasic fix), which i plan to sneak in as well. They're mostly fixes, not new functionality, although some consideration to be given to EDIT along with QBED (edit.com v 1.0 or 1.1). Maybe even a DOS help file for Windows nt4!

And, yes, it really does work without having to apply sp6a or anything.

Edited by os2fan2, 20 November 2012 - 03:00 AM.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,016 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

MODS: most searches point to this thread, so it's best to allow me to revive it - rather than locking it out because it's old. Please don't lock it!

Rest assured it won't be locked... we at MSFN don't frown on old threads reactivated for good reasons. BTW, it's good to have you around again, welcome back! :hello:

Brabant

Brabant

Junior

• Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 05-August 08

The current intent is to build a post-rollup, for which one expands the sp6a and the rollup, and then run assorted supplied scripts to integrate all of the stuff into the winnt source files.

So I'd unpack sp6a to a directory, the same for q299444i.exe roll-up and also for later fixes (those in the first post).
Keep the hotfix.inf that comes with each fix,
and "run assorted supplied scripts" ?

Do you have (test versions of) these scripts?

os2fan2

os2fan2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04
I'm currently working on a rxloop script for the post rollup fixpack. This consists of a csv-style table, which is run to generate the output. A possibility is to read the [Files] section in dosnet.inf etc to get the assorted working lists. Because rxloop allows you to build scripts, you can keep the hotfixes in their original order, and select the files directly from unpacked hotfixes. At the moment, i am halfway through the rxloop table.

There are several different setup routines, some of which have registry patches. These are being saved as well. I am not sure whether to write these as registry files or prepare a rexx registry processor to do this. The rexx registry has the advantage of being able to read registry, and also write reg_expand_sz strings without having to do unicode binary stuff. The data file could look like this. cdd also will make the folder if it does not exist. it depends on w32utils.dll behaviour.

cdd hklm\system\....
  dword name=value  (decimal or hex)
   string name=value
   none name
   delete name
   expand name=string

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users