Enable Intel AHCI under XP [Case Closed => read second last post]

Hrmm, I'm confused, I have the same issue as puntoMX. Following the various instructions failed to get AHCI working.
That´s the same problem as sebmex I presume ;). Just skip point 2 and all should be fine.
Also, I see mentions on the web that I will lose my SATA DVD drive if I enable this AHCI in WinXP. Any truth to that?
No you don´t lose support for optical drives, but not all will work with ACHI enabled, that´s true.
Sure am curious what the difference is between ICH9 and ICH9R. Is is simply some level of RAID support?
Indeed, that’s true. Also it will give you AHCI when setting up XP with the F6 button and will let you install the Matrix drivers after installing XP.

Guest silicon_ghost
Hrmm, I'm confused, I have the same issue as puntoMX. Following the various instructions failed to get AHCI working.
That´s the same problem as sebmex I presume ;). Just skip point 2 and all should be fine.

Skipping step 2 doesn't help. Based on the instructions, the work in Step 2 don't come into play until AFTER I get a successful boot into Windows. I BSOD on the way into Windows.

Just speculating but I'm guessing that the registry hack that goes against:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2923&cc_0106]

Does not apply to ICH9R.

Is it possible the Device ID is different and therefore needs a different registry hack?

I'm speculating that I also cannot see the PCI Device ID of my particular southbridge without enabling the BIOS settings. It seems I have a catch-22 problem.

Is it possible the Device ID is different and therefore needs a different registry hack?
Ow shoot, I forgot about that. Did you try it already?

By the way, it’s not a hack, I’m not hacking any thing just editing the INI file and adding some keys to the registry ;).

Guest silicon_ghost
Ow shoot, I forgot about that. Did you try it already?

By the way, it’s not a hack, I’m not hacking any thing just editing the INI file and adding some keys to the registry ;).

Yes, I did try that and it didn't work. I tried a few different solutions (including others I found on the web) and no luck.

As for the term "hack" it was meant in the original meaning of "hacking" (knowing the guts of the computer and OS and bypassing the newbie way of doing things). I've done plenty of hacking with the registry over the years.

Does anyone know of a easy bootable (CD for example) solution that would allow me to enumerate the PCI bus? I'm guessing the the BIOS API for enumeration of PCIexpress is backward compatible to routines written for PCI.

Hello. First i must say AHCI drives me mad.

Ive done i million diffrent reg files and copied files back and forth altering ini-files and so on.

I got a ASUS P5E3 Deluxe with the latest 1001 bios and Windows XP SP2.

When i set SATA to IDE in bios i can install and run windows.

When i set it to AHCI Windows boots up to BSOD and restart. I dont see the Login screen.

And if i try to install Windows it cant find my harddrive.

So now i have downloaded latest Intel Matrix driver "iata78_enu.exe" and extractad it with -a variable and then downloaded nLite and alterd a new Windows ISO with the driver.

Now when i set it to AHCI in bios and installs from this disc windows finds the harddisk and i can make partitions and format and install.

I can see during the install that he uses the iStor.sys driver for the Satacontroler so it looks promising.

But when its fully installed and doing the last reboot i come to BSOD :blink:

I then have to go to bios and set it to IDE to get in to windows :(

If i now check c:\windows\system32 the iStor.sys is here and installed.

So now i really dont know what more to do.

* * Offtopic * *

I have a IDE DVD+RW and if i set that to AHIC in bios its no problem just install the jMicron drivers for it and it apairs under "SCSI/RAID controller".

Kind reguards

//Didge

Edited by Didge

Would not be better to add those entries into the INF file instead of overwriting some older ones? Would be much more useful, for example if someone wants to include the drivers into his Windows installation with nLite.

Edited by longo213

:hello:

I strongly believe there is no easy permanent fix to the driver issue when the user switches mode between trials.

The things I had to do to make a HDD usable again after a fail in ICH5 (yes, old stuff) taught us that the hard drive contains settings left by the previous mode setting.

I was not the guy whom discovered this, but I recall a topic about AHCI at DriverPacks.net where we learned that switching from one mode to another after a BSOD did not resolve the BSOD.

I will emphasise that the story was about ICH5.

I had the hardware to test what got reported and ran tests with results I could reproduce.

I concluded that test with an uneasy feeling.

I had had to hook up hard drives to a controller and had this controller lowlevel those HDD so as to reset them.

(I walked through some testing scenarios and currently still believe a HDD can contain traces in firmware of a mode it had been used in. Mobo BIOS sets a mode for HDD in BIOS, and that apparently leaves traces in the HDD itself. So, part of MY test was that I moved hard drives back and forth between machines and reparitioned for setup tests. I saw a HDD was detectable and I could repartition, but when PnP reboot happened I still had BSOD. ??)

After a real low level on a raid controller, I could install.

I reproduced the test results. Switch from AHCI to sata or IDE, and BSOD happened. The drive retained settings after repartitioning.

(I Lowleveled from a Silicon card with Raid and LL capabilities more than once during these tests.. )

That happened with ICH5, and that makes me think ICH8 and ICH9 could also have "mode switch issues" if a user chooses to switch and then repartitions after switching modi.

I wish my current rig had ICH9r. (it has ICH7 and Sil 3132 and Iteraid)

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys,

here is what i have in my (french) device manager.

P5K-VM mobo (ICH9) with 2 SATA HDDs (connected physically to SATA ports 1 & 2 on mobo) and 1 DVD-RW drive (connected physically on IDE port, drive is NOT sata).

I see another entry "Standard IDE double channel PCI controller" that isn't in your picture puntoMX.

Do you think it is still safe to attempt the mod?

post-184847-1207129845_thumb.jpg

jtdoom is working on it I think, and nuhi didn´t see anything in a direct integration...

I've been working on a direct integration because I found that different vendors include different secondary raid controllers so my first thought was to properly integrate the Intel Matrix storage drivers and I've actually come up with a solid working solution that didn't require nLite, doesn't affect recovery and doesn't use winnt.sif so adding additional drivers if required with "F6" doesn't break the installation process.

It covers ICH6 - ICH9 in RAID and AHCI mode and it doesn't mess up installations if you have IDE set or your board doesn't support RAID/AHCI.

The only issue I've got now is that it complains about the WHQL but a mouse click gets you passed it so it's not a real problem but more of an annoyance.

Even using nLite you get the same WHQL problem but using winnt.sif you can set it to ignore this so it's not a terribly serious problem or one to cause any major concern.

If you give me a day I'll put together the instructions and the files and post them.

-- BuildSmart

Do you think it is still safe to attempt the mod?
It can´t hurt to try it, but is there are AHCI option in your BIOS?
If you give me a day I'll put together the instructions and the files and post them.

-- BuildSmart

Hi.

I am All ears.

Not only you!

I’m not a programmer at all, just like to dig in stuff (Especially when nLite was just at the beginning) and this topic came up. I made it for people who I advised a P35 motherboard with ICH9(not R) SB and could not enable AHCI under XP. At that time I didn’t know that this topic would get popular and never thought about the "other" chipsets from Intel or to enable it after installation on ICR9R or with Vista.

How to enable

AHCI on Intel ICH9 under XP

1. Unpacking drivers

Step 1 and 1.1 can be skipped if you want to use a floppy disk. You can edit and copy the files directly from the floppy disk.

Unpack the 32-bit Floppy Configuration Utility for Intel® Matrix Storage Manager and extract the file (.EXE) with WinRAR or similar program. You now get an .EXE file that need to be extracted again to the F32.IMA file.

i don't really understand the highlighted sentence. how can i extract the F32.IMA file? i could only unzip the file to f6flpy32.exe

thanks very much~