Enable Intel AHCI under XP [Case Closed => read second last post]

i've searched in the internet and found out that some SATA optical drives don't work well under the AHCI mode. some even disappear under the AHCI mode.
That’s true and a known "problem". What you can do is download the latest firmware for your drive, which could solve your problem.

i've searched in the internet and found out that some SATA optical drives don't work well under the AHCI mode. some even disappear under the AHCI mode.
That’s true and a known "problem". What you can do is download the latest firmware for your drive, which could solve your problem.

but i've checked the LG official website. there's no new firmware for my model. although i could find an unofficial one in the internet, i'm afraid it would damage my drive.

It would be a hack without any doubts.

I wonder where the app is actually stored as it's not extracted/visible when using -A command on the installer..

You are looking for the full version of 'Intel matrix Storage manager'

intel matrix

you cant find the console files because they are not in that package. The floppy package is made to allow an f6 boot of windows. The full software is available from intel. The link above leads to a page with another link, 'get the latest driver v PV 7.8'

The english version of the software is about 5meg, the multilanguage version is about 20meg. I do not know if it will install without modification. It will obviously not allow any raid functions without the ICH9R chip, but if anyone gets it to install and if it can help in any way, let us know. Maybe it can be used to turn off a function that is stopping some people with sata dvd drives from working under ahci.

-edit

"please do not download this unless you know why you are downloading it. I just posted it because someone asked about the console. This installer will try to install the official driver, along with several utilities (tray icon, error monitoring). It will probably not install on a system with ICH9, and if it does, it may write over any modified files you already installed, and undo any of the fixes that this entire thread is trying to achieve. So only fool with it at your own risk."

-edit2

I ran the full matrix installer but did NOT install it, I looked in a folder the installer created while running called C:\Windows\temp\IIF\Application\StorageUtility . In there was a file called Shell.exe I ran this file and it brings up the console (you may need .net framework installed). The console has no real functions available, other than information. I see information about NCQ but no options to enable or disable. Other exe's in the full installer were (IAAnotif.exe, IAANTmon.exe, and migrstatus.exe). I did not try to use any of these. I will attach a screen shot of the Matrix console. If you want to get to these files you can try to start the install process then copy the files from the temp directory, then cancel the install. I dont know what will happen if you actually try to let it complete the install, it will probably re-write the driver/registry and undo the fix. Once again, don't do this if you don't understand what you are doing. The full console doesn't really do anything.

post-179403-1207605733_thumb.jpg

Edited by captainvideo

captainvideo, thanks a lot for your tutorial on getting the Console to work.

It indeed does work, yet we can't alter any settings so it's pretty useless, as you said.

At least it showed both my drives have the NCQ feature if i ever needed confirmation ;)

It didn't even occur to me some programs were still working with C:\Windows\temp instead of the temp folder in docs&settings ^^;

Oh another question for you guys: is there any software that can read the S.M.A.R.T. capabilities when the drive is in AHCI mode?

HDTune can't anymore since switching from IDE Emulation.

See you,

TSR

For ASUS P5K motherboards (IF present in BIOS, please report if not present.):

Restart the computer and enter the BIOS (Mostly entered by pressing DEL). Make the settings:

SATA Configuration   	   [Enhanced]
Configure SATA as [AHCI]

Hi!

I have this ASUS P5K mb, the latest bios version, but the only option I can see in "Configure SATA as" is IDE. It means that NCQ is not available. So with ICH9 (no "R") NCQ does not work? That was the answer from ASUS. Or I can try to find somewhere an old version of bios firmware, flash it and enjoy? :)

Or I can try to find somewhere an old version of bios firmware, flash it and enjoy? :)
Indeed, that would work, but it could be hard to find a BIOS with AHCI fucntion for ASUS (with ICH9).

hmm maybe it depends for which ASUS motherboard. On my P5K-VM, the AHCI option has always shown up, from factory BIOS 0401 to the latest BIOS 0704 released on 2008/02/15.

It doesn't make sense to remove this option from the BIOS because AHCI on ICH9 is working perfectly fine and without needed tricks on Windows Vista with built-in AHCI driver.

The BIOS 704 makes it clear and specifies that AHCI mode should only be enabled when using Vista.

Only XP users need to do the trick we do in this thread..

So imagine someone installing Vista with AHCI enabled, then if he ever updates the BIOS to one that doesn't have the feature, he would be royally screwed?

See you,

TSR

Edited by theshadowrunner

ASUS thought to be smart en just delete it out of some BIOS updates for some models. But they didn’t realize, or they didn’t want to see, the problem they were creating on the other side, let alone slowing the whole system down and that even with Vista...

ASUS thought to be smart en just delete it out of some BIOS updates for some models. But they didn’t realize, or they didn’t want to see, the problem they were creating on the other side, let alone slowing the whole system down and that even with Vista...

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I've managed to download the old bios version 3.02 via ftp Asus Taiwan, but strange as it is they don't let anonymous users log in any more...

You may download it from here:

http://depositfiles.com/files/4668893

Edited by Lpavel

Unfortunately I didn't succeed in downgrading BIOS: afudos has detected that firmware 3.02 was older than my mb and refused to do that :blink:

To downgrade the BIOS, you need to use version 2.11 of AFUDOS. In addition, the BIOS for the P5KR board (which has the ICH9R chipset) can be used. The latest BIOS for the P5KR supports all the latest CPUs. See this thread for more information.

I succeeded to install AHCI for my Asus P5KR Motherboard following this method, with two small modifications:

1) as this motherboard uses ICH9R, I didn't need to make the changes in the IAAHCI.INF file described in step 2.

2) for the same reason, in step 3, when creating the registry file, I've replaced 2923 by 2922.

2922 identifies the ICH9R chipset.

In the BIOS, I've set SATA mode to AHCI and "Intel Robinson Technology" as enabled.

Except for that, it works exactly like described in the first post of this thread.

Thanks Punto for your brilliant idea !! :)

PS: I'm running Windows XP 32 bits

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.station-drivers.com/telechargem...rivers.com).exe

RAID Controllers:

- Intel® ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller

- Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID Controller

- Intel® ESB2 SATA RAID Controller

- Intel® ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller

- Intel® ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller

AHCI Controllers:

- Intel® ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® EP80579 SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller

These are not official yet, but the good news is that the AHCI issue is apparently fixed.

Edited by JakeLD