Enable Intel AHCI under XP [Case Closed => read second last post]

You cannot activate RAID after installing Windows on one HDD - RAID always need at least two drives and there are special informations required on the drives for a working raid.

If you want to use RAID you have to reformat and install windows again.

Yes, there are different DeviceIDs for different modes.

ICH9R AHCI: VEN_8086&DEV_2922

ICH9R RAID: VEN_8086&DEV_2822

If you want to enable AHCI for ICH9R in an existing windows installation, you don't have to edit any file since ICH9R already supports AHCI officially, only for ICH9 (and other "AHCI-less" chipsets) you have to modify!

You cannot activate RAID after installing Windows on one HDD - RAID always need at least two drives and there are special informations required on the drives for a working raid.

If you want to use RAID you have to reformat and install windows again.

What I plan to do is use imaging software to copy back my Windows after I set up RAID using two new drives. Hopefully, that'll work.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

There's something changed in the inf file from the 32bit storage driver that I downloaded by the link given in the first post .

I can't find the first line as quoted here:

Replace the line:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2923&CC_0106.DeviceDesc	= "Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller"

To:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2923&CC_0106.DeviceDesc	= "Intel(R) ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller"

These are the new lines in Iaaci.inf

[Strings]
DiskName = "Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver"
*PNP0600.DeviceDesc = "Intel AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2923&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller"

Does someone know what to do now, I want to enable ICH9 at a Gigabyte p35-ds3 motherboard.

Thanks

Edited by Snuiter

Yes, in the latest driver package the description or the name of some devices are changed.

It is not important that you change the line you mentioned. You can even write "some Intel ICH chipset RAID" and windows will show that name in device manager.

If you want to follow the guide in first post, here it is partwise with the correct information:

2. Preparing the drivers

Copy the file IASTOR.SYS to the Windows SYSTEM32/DRIVERS directory. Open the IAAHCI.INF with Notepad from the directory where you unpacked the drivers. Use CRTL-R and you should get a “replace” window. In the first input window you type “2821” and the second “2923”, so you will replace all “2821” text to “2923”, and click “Replace All”. Save IAAHCI.INF over the original file.

Replace the line:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2923&CC_0106.DeviceDesc	= "Intel(R) ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller"

To:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2923&CC_0106.DeviceDesc	= "Intel(R) ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller"

Save the file under the same name, e.g. IAAHCI.INF and exit Notepad.

Edited by an3k

• 2 weeks later...

Enable AHCI mode without having to reinstall Win XP

1- Extract Toshiba A300 WindowsXP 32bit ICH9M.zip

2- Copy the iaStor.sys File into the \Windows\System32\Drivers\

3- Run ich9m.reg

4- Reboot end enter BIOS and switch to AHCI-mode

5- Use the downloaded driver to install manually the driver when windows detect it.

20090204185534bv0.png

Before:

hdtune1ul1.png

After:

hdtune2rw8.png

Toshiba_A300_WindowsXP_32bit_ICH9M.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya All

First time on site.

Followed instructions to enable AHCI, all worked perfect except for 1 question.

On checking install in device manager it says its ICH8 and not ICH9 which my M/Board is. GA-EP35-DS3L

Would this be because I need a newer version of drivers or am I missing the plot.

Great Instructions for enableing, my compliments to the designer.

Many Thanks for any help.

On checking install in device manager it says its ICH8 and not ICH9 which my M/Board is. GA-EP35-DS3L
That should not matter, it's just a text and you can put any text you like there. If you like to change the text than just look it up in your register and edit it there, nothing can go wrong any way ;).

Welcome to the forums! :hello:

First of all, thanks to you puntoMX for putting all this together. Appreciate it.

I followed all your steps, and upon restarting the computer (the second time after changing settings in BIOS) I saw the usual boot up screen and the system test screen, but then I would get a message saying that this version (Serial ATA AHCI BIOS Version iSrc 1.07 08042006) only supports AHCI for CD drives and HDDs, whatever that means. Then the screen flickered and I was presented with a screen saying Windows could not start normally and it gave me the option to start in Safe Mode, etc. However I could not use the arrow keys on my keyboard.

Finally I just hit DEL again and changed the SATA settings back to their defaults in the BIOS and I managed to get back on the desktop again. I installed the Intel Chipset Utility, but I can't install the Matrix Storage Manager unless I use the F6 floppy method. This is because the Matrix Manager must be installed on a system already having AHCI enabled.

I have a Gigabyte P35-DS4 (rev 2.1) mobo with WinXP Home (SP3) so I know thats available on that board. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Edited by desktop

However I could not use the arrow keys on my keyboard.
Try a PS/2 keyboard, some USB keyboard might not work.
I have a Gigabyte P35-DS4 (rev 2.1) mobo with WinXP Home (SP3) so I know thats available on that board. Any ideas?

You should use another chipset number as you have a ICH9R and not ICH9, the hardware ID for your ICH is:

HardwareID = PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106
Description: Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller

Hi,

First, many thanks for this thread :thumbup

I've been trying to get AHCI.So, I'm following "à la lettre" this tuto, however I don't find this line:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2923&CC_0106.DeviceDesc	= "Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller"

in the IAAHCI.INF file.

Here is what I have:

;********************************************************
[Strings]
DiskName = "Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver"
*PNP0600.DeviceDesc = "Intel AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller"

should I proceed w/o modifying this file?

thanks

Edited by vblanche

Okay, that's strange as it should only show a ICH9R, so, you don't need to edit the INI file. If you reinstall that system then I would integrate the drivers into the windows setup.

PS. the second controller is a JMicron JMB363...

So, just install the driver via Device Manager, ignore the "This driver hasn't been blessed by Bill himself"-bit, reboot, switch to AHCI in the BIOS and pray to FSM it won't BSOD then?

Edited by tordenflesk