Enable Intel AHCI under XP [Case Closed => read second last post]

ASUS P5K Premium / WiFi-AP here. First time I try Hot-Swap in my life. What I've done is bought an ICY DOCK MB671SK-BB days ago when I saw my motherboard supports hot-swap. I've been reading a lot and one of my doubts is: if I change the whole Intel S-ATA ports to AHCI (from IDE) won't be the data affected in all the discs?. I don't want to lost something, I just want to hop-swap one disc on this ICY DOCK unit without loosing data on the other ones, so I don't know how AHCI would affect the others (and I've seen that AHCI can't be applied to a single port, just to the 6 ones in this Intel controller).

I've been trying this method before install the ICY DOCK (it arrived today and I've not connected it yet) since seems I must do it in order to make my XP x64 able to recognize AHCI things. I've started the steps on the 1st post (many thanks for all that work) but the problem is that on iaAHCI.inf file I can't find the next line:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2923&CC_0106.DeviceDesc	= "Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller"

So I have not replaced it yet. The most similar line I can find is the next one:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2923&CC_0106.DeviceDesc	= "Intel(R) ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller"

So just to clarify, I've properly replaced the "2821" with "2923" on the iaAHCI.inf file, and saved, but it's the 2n part of the task the one that I can't complete because after had replaced that number, when I'm looking for the line mentioned, the list includes just the next ones:

[Strings]
DiskName = "Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver"
*PNP0600.DeviceDesc = "Intel AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2923&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller"

I don't know which line I've to deleted to put the new one, or if in my case I shouldn't change something (and neither the 2821 entries..) or.... don't know. Any ideas?

One problem I've in my computer after I've installed XP x64 is that I can't turn it off (it doesn't turn off completely, so what I do is reboot it and turn it off on the part of the post where it ask for my bios pass). I really don't know if this will affect all this AHCI thing. Excuse my many doubts regarding this but I'm totally new on this and don't want to lost something. Many thanks in advances for taking your time to read.

EDIT: Okay... I've found that this seems to be only for ICH9 and not ICH9R (my motherboard says P35 + ICH9R), so I don't have the possibility to AHCI like this?

Edited by Aero-R

Okey... I couldn't stop until I founded a solution, so for my ASUS P5K Premium / WiFi-AP Black Pearl Ed. with P35 / ICH9R, what I've done is what's explained in the next URL: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...46-6c9a81346528

No problems at all, and I think it worked properly. The only thing you've to take in mind is that the link for the download is broken, so you've now to use this one () that will guide you to the IATA88ENU.exe

You'll have to use that file instead of the older version (also with the -a, of course).

I don't have used the hot swap module yet, I'll give it a try later. My S-ATA optical drive is working without problems. For suggestions, it's a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS10.

In my device manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, only one device appears: Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller. I don't know if this is enough to ask if all has been done correctly or not. If I've to post something more to check, please don't doubt to ask.

I'll post results of the hot-swapping as soon as possible. Hope this helps.

EDIT: After a few hours of problems I had with the boot.ini, I'm back on my computer. The disk into the hot-swap unit is recognized and operative, but it doesn't appear with the safety remove option like the stick usb, so... I haven't hot-swapped it to avoid any electrical damage. Any idea?

Edited by Aero-R

Hi, first time poster. I'd like to use the utility created by MDGx (posted Apr 2) but think my circumstances are slightly different from the standard, so wanted to check with the experts first before proceeding. When I initially setup my Gigabyte P35-DS4 motherboard 1.5 years ago, I installed WinXP Pro and enabled RAID with the Gigabyte-provided ICH9R driver via diskette. Things have worked just peachy since then, but now I wish to disable the motherboard RAID and just go with AHCI. After deleting the RAID volumes and changing the BIOS from RAID to AHCI, Windows won't load. I get to the black screen with the Windows logo for a few seconds, then the machine restarts. If I switch back to RAID or IDE or Disabled in the BIOS, I can get into Windows. But I want AHCI. Under the RAID settings, the Device Manager shows Intel ICH84/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller under SCSI and RAID Controller. There is no AHCI driver showing under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Do you think I can just run MDGx's utility and be OK, or will there be issues since I've already enabled the RAID?

THANKS

... one of my doubts is: if I change the whole Intel S-ATA ports to AHCI (from IDE) won't be the data affected in all the discs?.
Normally there will be no data loss but I in the PM you send me that your NTLDR is missing files... that's strange. Do you use a RAID setup?
I've started the steps on the 1st post (many thanks for all that work) but the problem is that on iaAHCI.inf file I can't find the next line: ...
Intel has been changing files since the first post and the problem I have is that I don't use any XP install any more (currently on Windows 7) and I hoped that someone else would have taken over the fire to carry it on. MDGx and ilko_t made it's easier to install so it would have been better to use what they provided first as it´s more automated and works on different ICH as well.
EDIT: Okay... I've found that this seems to be only for ICH9 and not ICH9R (my motherboard says P35 + ICH9R), so I don't have the possibility to AHCI like this?
Yes it works also on a ICH9R, just don't use PCIVEN_8086&DEV_2923 but PCIVEN_8086&DEV_2922...
EDIT: After a few hours of problems I had with the boot.ini, I'm back on my computer. The disk into the hot-swap unit is recognized and operative, but it doesn't appear with the safety remove option like the stick usb, so... I haven't hot-swapped it to avoid any electrical damage. Any idea?
I personally don't know the drive bay but reviews show it's a good product so I would presume you are save there. The "save to remove icon" will not power down your device so electrical there is no problem, but if caching is enabled for data you could end up by loosing data when not using the "save to remove icon".

now I wish to disable the motherboard RAID and just go with AHCI.

If I switch back to RAID or IDE or Disabled in the BIOS, I can get into Windows. But I want AHCI.

Boot windows, import reg setting

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\PCI#VEN_8086&CC_0106]
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
"Service"="iaStor"

Next goto BIOS, set AHCI.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\PCI#VEN_8086&CC_0106]

"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

"Service"="iaStor"

Next goto BIOS, set AHCI.

Sweet - I updated the Registry, rebooted, updated BIOS, and got into Windows - no restart :thumbup.

But then I got the New Hardware prompt. I'm not sure what to do - should I follow the steps on page 1 of this thread to edit the IAACH.INF file and point to it? Are the instructions still valid given the age? THANKS

I got the New Hardware prompt. I'm not sure what to do - should I follow the steps on page 1 of this thread to edit the IAACH.INF file and point to it?
Yes, follow the instructions: insert your HardwareID to IAACH.INF.

Yes, follow the instructions: insert your HardwareID to IAACH.INF.
Done, it works! I downloaded the current Intel 32bit Floppy Config Utility from here! and extracted iastor.sys and iaahci.inf, copied them to system32\drivers, and pointed the New Hardware Wizard to that folder. I didn't have to edit the INF, appears my hardware was already represented.

Thanks for your help, cdob!

I personally don't know the drive bay but reviews show it's a good product so I would presume you are save there. The "save to remove icon" will not power down your device so electrical there is no problem, but if caching is enabled for data you could end up by loosing data when not using the "save to remove icon".

Yes but doesn't that spin down the HD rpms?

I've tested utilities like "HOTSWAP!" but it lets me hot-swap hard disk that are not into the caddy, but not the caddy one. I still have not tried to plug / unplug it although I do not have the caching enabled, I don't know if it would damage my motherboard or so..

Edited by Aero-R

Yes but doesn't that spin down the HD rpms?
No it does not.

Ah.. I thought it does that.

What would be the worst effect if I try the hot-swap but it's not enabled to do it?. Will my motherboard / hard disk be damaged?

• 4 months later...

Sorry, I've been absent from this forum for a long while. :(

But I'm back now.

@Deporange:

Your question probably referred to the old AHCI exe installer I've created a while back.

That particular package did not work very well, and was restricted to only a few intel chipsets.

But another member [ilko_t] here at MSFN found a better way to package all drivers for [most] all intel chipsets currently supported, so I posted his exe at my site.

I am not the author. I only posted the links.

http://www.mdgx.com/xp.htm#PSP3

* Unofficial Windows XP Intel SATA AHCI/Hot-Plug/RAID Driver 32-bit for Intel
8xx/9xx/Pxx/Xxx Motherboard Chipsets with built-in ICHx Controllers:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=109450&st=223
Direct download [524 KB]:
http://www.mdgx.com/files/intelahci.exe
More info:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=121503&st=3
How to install this Driver:
1. Run intelahci.exe (see above).
2. Reboot.
3. Press Del, Esc, F1, F2, F3, F4 or F8 (see your motherboard documentation
for specific key) to enter BIOS setup.
4. Change settings below (if any) to match the values inside square brackets:
SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [AHCI]
SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode [Enabled]
5. Reboot again to Windows.
6. Windows should have activated your motherboard built-in Intel ICHx
controller and found all your installed SATA hard + optical disks.
7. Open Control Panel.
8. Run "System Properties".
9. Click the "Hardware" tab.
10. Click "Device Manager".
11. Double-click "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers". You should see a new item:
"Intel ICHx SATA AHCI Controller".
This Driver works with ALL Intel 8xx/9xx/Pxx/Xxx x86 motherboard chipsets with
built-in Intel I/O Controller Hubs x (ICHx) chipsets:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I/O_Controller_Hub
AHCI:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface

In my experience, this newer driver package works 100%, no matter if you install WinXP 1st or if you enable the BIOS AHCI settings 1st.

And in most cases you don't even need to reboot. ;)

Try to install this driver package on a "fresh"/"clean" [from scratch] XP installation.

Also, if you need to install the intel Infinst package, install this unofficial AHCI package first.

HTH

• 3 months later...