Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Enable Intel AHCI under XP; Case Closed, read second last post

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
251 replies to this topic

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts
  • Joined 22-November 04
Edit (correct Intel driver + links):
[thank you theshadowrunner for pointing out the confusion :wacko:]

Hi every1,

From what I'm aware the unofficial Intel SATA/AHCI/RAID motherboard-based controller fix for XP is not necessary anymore, because Intel finally enabled that feature natively in their drivers. :thumbup

Note:
To install/test the Intel driver, it is recommended to uninstall/delete the unofficial driver (if any) first and then reboot.
Unofficial driver fix installs its files into the %windir%\IAHCI [%windir% = usually C:\WINDOWS] folder. Just delete all those files and reboot.

Therefore starting with Intel Storage Manager Driver version 9.6.0.1014 all one needs to do is:

1. Reboot.

2. Press Del, Esc, F1, F2, F3, F4 or F8 (see your motherboard documentation for specific key) to enter BIOS setup while your computer's initial POST (Power On Self Test) screen is still on -> change both settings below (if any) to match the values inside square brackets:

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [AHCI]
SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode [Enabled]

Both these settings must be enabled *before* installing the driver in order for Intel setup to properly recognize AHCI/RAID hardware.

3. Reboot back to Windows.

4. Install current Intel Storage Manager Driver from here [11.2 MB, multilanguage].
This driver installs iastore.sys and enables AHCI/RAID modes if enabled hardware is detected at install time.

5. Reboot 1 last time.

This should (hopefully) work for every mobo based on Intel 9xx/3x/4x/5x chipset series.
Please see Intel ReadMe text for more info.

... And just in case the official Intel driver doesn't work, I'm keeping the unofficial driver fix at my site.

If any1 has problems with the mobo, SATA controllers or hard drives while AHCI is enabled, you can disable it easily:
go back into BIOS setup and disable/change any of those 2 settings [see #2 above].
Could disable both, wont't hurt anything, but this feature requires both enabled, otherwise cannot work.

PS:
I was also getting BSODs and STOP errors in XP [especially with AHCI enabled] with my old mobo [Gigabyte P35-DS3L], took me a while to figure out what was wrong, turned out to be a faulty capacitor. ;-(
I got a replacement [Gigabyte EP43-UD3L], and never looked back. Everything works 100% with or without AHCI enabled, even if overclocked. ;-)

XP forums (super)mods...
Since this issue has been finally resolved, I propose to close this topic.
Thanks for caring.

HTH

Best wishes,
MDGx

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

puntoMX

puntoMX

n00b of Masters and Vice Versa

• Super Moderator
  • 4,850 posts
  • Joined 28-June 04
Nice, it took long enough for this topic to die. :lol: