Enable Intel AHCI under XP [Case Closed => read second last post]

It should work on 2K too, but I didn’t test it. The registry file is the only part that could mess up your machine, so you’ll be doing it on your own risk. You could check if the registry part already exists with different values.

It’s not motherboard brand related.

For your motherboard you can skip point 2; Preparing the drivers. Your bridge already exists in the driver list.

Please post if it worked ;).

it's not working with ich9r (without step 2) i get bsod.

how about raid? i integrated ich8r/ich9r drivers with nlite, but a get bsod also with fresh install...

Edited by Dr_M

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just got me a new computer and tried to activate AHCI. I'm not sure if it worked.

Motherboard: Asus P5K-V

Hard drive: WD2500KS-00MJB0, 16 MB buffer

Windows XP Pro SP2 64 bits version (yes, I have used Intel Storage Manager 64 bits, too)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q6600

RAM: 2 Gb DDR2 dual channel @ 800 MHz

Everything works fine, no BSOD.

BUT:

- Roadkil's Disk Speed (roadkil.net/DskSpeed.html) gives me the exact same figures as before. The speed is actually lower than my older system (AMD XP 2600+ Athlon, Seagate 250 Gb). The speed has dropped from 65 Mb/sec to 61 Mb/sec, overall score from 8042 to 6789.

- I get ALL these things in the Device manager (see below)

- I have copied stuff from my old hard drive. Top speed: 57 Mb/sec :). But, after going over 20-25 Mb/sec, everyting else just freezes. All other programs almost stop working (tv tuner winfast pvr2, yahoo messenger, notepad, total commander, opera browser). Also, copied from one partition to other, both on this new drive, same thing happens, everything else freezes after 20-30 Mb/sec.

I've got the same poor result before and after activating AHCI.

In the BIOS, I have activated these settings:

- SATA Configuration - Enhanced (before - same Enhanced option was enabled)

- JMicron 3SATA/PATA controller - Enabled (before - same Enhanced option was enabled)

- Controller Mode - AHCI (before it was IDE, other option is RAID)

What could be wrong. Is that hard drive so poor?

Thanks!

post-171357-1200300469_thumb.jpg

I did exactly like the instructions (I think ;) ).

I think I'll reinstall Windows, 32 bits edition. Is there a huge difference between 32 and 64 bits versions?? I do have all drivers 64 bits, but I use 32 bits applications.

Unless you plan to use 4GB (or more) of RAM, stick to 32-bit.

All right.... reinstalled Windows 32 bit, with IDE mode.

Now, activated in BIOS AHCI mode, but I did NOT do all other things (copy IASTOR.SYS file, add registry....), restart Windows, no BSOD, no errors, everything works fine, the device manager looks like the one above !!!

Soooo, what's going on?!

I would like to help you all out, but the problem is that I only sell Gigabyte motherboards at this time. I also don’t have a 64bit Windows XP to test it on nor do they sell it in Mexico :(.

Soooo, what's going on?!
With the Gigabyte motherboards it loads and installs an AHCI BIOS on boot up before it starts to boot from any data holding media. Does it show any thing like that when you start your ASUS motherboard? I remember that ASUS killed AHCI from some of there BIOSes...

Well, I don't see anything peculiar on boot. The usual fast memory test, drive and dvd rom list, then straight to windows....

I mean, does that motherboard and my Windows both support AHCI? Why do I have so slow hard drive performance ??

Check this out: http://pozze.z1.ro/doc1.htm

The Dskspeed section: first colum (old computer) is FASTER the second column (new computer).

Edited by queensoft

I wonder if your BIOS support real ACHI mode, let me read the users manual of your motherboard now.

Don’t expect much of a performance gain in the benchmarks by the way, I could only test it by starting Windows or other programs and measure the start times with a stopwatch (10 or 20 runs and the average taking from that).

So why the h**l did I bought a nice motherboard like that and a SATA2 hard drive?! :(

Just to work slower than my old one ??

My first choice, however, was NOT this drive, it was a 320 Gb AAKS drive. But, wouldn't you know it, it was just after the holidays and it was out of stock !!