Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Enable Intel AHCI under XP; Case Closed, read second last post

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
251 replies to this topic

puntoMX

puntoMX

n00b of Masters and Vice Versa

• Super Moderator
  • 4,852 posts
  • Joined 28-June 04

Or I can try to find somewhere an old version of bios firmware, flash it and enjoy? :)

Indeed, that would work, but it could be hard to find a BIOS with AHCI fucntion for ASUS (with ICH9).

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

theshadowrunner

theshadowrunner
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 02-April 08
hmm maybe it depends for which ASUS motherboard. On my P5K-VM, the AHCI option has always shown up, from factory BIOS 0401 to the latest BIOS 0704 released on 2008/02/15.
It doesn't make sense to remove this option from the BIOS because AHCI on ICH9 is working perfectly fine and without needed tricks on Windows Vista with built-in AHCI driver.
The BIOS 704 makes it clear and specifies that AHCI mode should only be enabled when using Vista.
Only XP users need to do the trick we do in this thread..
So imagine someone installing Vista with AHCI enabled, then if he ever updates the BIOS to one that doesn't have the feature, he would be royally screwed?
See you,

TSR

Edited by theshadowrunner, 09 April 2008 - 02:21 PM.

puntoMX

puntoMX

• Super Moderator
  • 4,852 posts
  • Joined 28-June 04
ASUS thought to be smart en just delete it out of some BIOS updates for some models. But they didn’t realize, or they didn’t want to see, the problem they were creating on the other side, let alone slowing the whole system down and that even with Vista...

Lpavel

Lpavel
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 09-April 08

ASUS thought to be smart en just delete it out of some BIOS updates for some models. But they didn’t realize, or they didn’t want to see, the problem they were creating on the other side, let alone slowing the whole system down and that even with Vista...

Hi!
Thanks for the reply. I've managed to download the old bios version 3.02 via ftp Asus Taiwan, but strange as it is they don't let anonymous users log in any more...
You may download it from here:
http://depositfiles.com/files/4668893

Edited by Lpavel, 11 April 2008 - 03:01 AM.

Lpavel

Lpavel
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 09-April 08
Unfortunately I didn't succeed in downgrading BIOS: afudos has detected that firmware 3.02 was older than my mb and refused to do that :blink:

skipg

skipg
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Unfortunately I didn't succeed in downgrading BIOS: afudos has detected that firmware 3.02 was older than my mb and refused to do that :blink:

To downgrade the BIOS, you need to use version 2.11 of AFUDOS. In addition, the BIOS for the P5KR board (which has the ICH9R chipset) can be used. The latest BIOS for the P5KR supports all the latest CPUs. See this thread for more information.

mvil

mvil
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 20-April 08
I succeeded to install AHCI for my Asus P5KR Motherboard following this method, with two small modifications:

1) as this motherboard uses ICH9R, I didn't need to make the changes in the IAAHCI.INF file described in step 2.
2) for the same reason, in step 3, when creating the registry file, I've replaced 2923 by 2922.
2922 identifies the ICH9R chipset.

In the BIOS, I've set SATA mode to AHCI and "Intel Robinson Technology" as enabled.

Except for that, it works exactly like described in the first post of this thread.

Thanks Punto for your brilliant idea !! :)

PS: I'm running Windows XP 32 bits

JakeLD

JakeLD

• 20 posts
  • Joined 24-November 06
http://www.station-d...rivers.com).exe
RAID Controllers:
- Intel® ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller
- Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID Controller
- Intel® ESB2 SATA RAID Controller
- Intel® ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller
- Intel® ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller

AHCI Controllers:
- Intel® ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel® EP80579 SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel® ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel® ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel® ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel® ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel® ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller

These are not official yet, but the good news is that the AHCI issue is apparently fixed.

Edited by JakeLD, 28 April 2008 - 09:22 PM.

Posted Image

jtdoom

jtdoom

• 14 posts
  • Joined 08-August 06
intel_msm_8.8.0.39

Station driver links always break when you just paste them.. :)

Hi JakeLD.
let's make a testpack with those, and get it out soon, eh?

Edited by jtdoom, 28 April 2008 - 09:26 PM.

Kind regards, Jaak.

JakeLD

JakeLD

• 20 posts
  • Joined 24-November 06
Already working one my friend, should eb ready tonight, I will also update the VIA drivers 5.17a is out.
Posted Image

tjanitolkaj

tjanitolkaj
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 13-May 08
Looks like there is a typo in the Registry File:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2923&cc_0106]
"Service"="iaStor"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

Should be:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2923&cc_0106]
"Service"="iaStor"

skipg

skipg
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2923&cc_0106]
"Service"="iaStor"

Should be:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2923&cc_0106]
"Service"="iaStor"

I concur. At the time I tried it, using the original instructions, I had three control sets. After looking things over, I entered the info in by hand using the Current Control Set, and it worked after that. My goal was to be able to run OS X on a Hackint0sh; I now have OS X working, and can definitely assert that the AHCI fix does indeed work.

:rolleyes:

Octopuss

Octopuss

I am the walrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Joined 31-January 07

Donator

Just a question. Has anyone noticed ANY increase in performance after switching to AHCI mode? Cause I tried some months ago and all I got were some annoying bios screens (of course, after enabling all the stuff) and waiting times before Windoze started booting :P

SoulSeeker

SoulSeeker
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 11-October 05
Nerfed.

I have a ga-p35-ds3l that I just turned on the ahci and **** it caused major issues for me. CPU usage was whacked. Firefox using 50% to 90% cpu usage, explorer 40% to 60%, everything was causing major cpu usage. Wouldnt drop below 21% to 23% even with all programs shut off. The hard drive benchmark I have on this computer is Hard Drive Tach. I wish I had taken a screen shot of the results but I didnt. On the Seagate sata2 500gig ST3500630AS the cache burst was 140ish and is normally 210ish. The read speed was 55 high to 35ish low and is normally 70ish+ to 40.

Rather disappointing really.

I guess I also don't understand that if ahci isnt supposed to work on the non ICH9R chipsets then why is it an option ?

P.S. Woo hoo, member for over 2.5 years and I just made my first post. I rock..

Edited by SoulSeeker, 16 May 2008 - 12:49 AM.

E-66

E-66

• PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Joined 15-August 06
SoulSeeker, the ga-p35-ds3l is the same board puntoMX used and reported success with. Are you sre you did everything 100% correctly?

damasko

damasko
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 27-June 06
is there any difference, other than digital signature, between driver in windows and the other one from intel?
when xp finds new hardware I can choose one of these:
Posted Image

theshadowrunner

theshadowrunner
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 02-April 08
After a month and a half using AHCI, I went back to IDE.
Some of you might be interested in the reasons:
1. Burst rate is significantly worse with AHCI.
HDTune reports 120MB/s with AHCI versus 140MB/s with IDE
HD Tach reports 200MB/s with AHCI versus 225MB/s with IDE.
(why Tune & Tach don't give the same values is a mystery, but in all cases IDE > AHCI)
2. CPU consumption is definitely higher when using AHCI compared to IDE for seemingly no speed increase whatsoever.
3. AHCI introduces a HDD sleep bug !
I have 2 HDDs. In XP (SP3) power management, I set to switch off the HDDs after 2 hours of inactivity.
When I'm using AHCI, the 2nd HDD never goes to sleep, EVER, if the first one isn't already asleep.
With the same power management settings under IDE, no problem, 2nd HDD goes to sleep after desired time alright even if first HDD keeps being active.
4. Resume from standby is a bit slower.
So for now i'll forget about AHCI for my current config.
Btw, going back to IDE is easy as hell, just swith back to IDE in BIOS, reboot and all is fine.
If you're sure you won't be ever going back to AHCI you can remove the intel matrix storage manager driver (iaStor)
Later,

TSR

puntoMX

puntoMX

• Super Moderator
  • 4,852 posts
  • Joined 28-June 04

"Service"="iaStor"

Should be:

"Service"="iaStor"

Good one, I didn´t think about that and I will edit it directly, credits to you, thank you.

TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 23-March 06

(why Tune & Tach don't give the same values is a mystery, but in all cases IDE > AHCI)
2. CPU consumption is definitely higher when using AHCI compared to IDE for seemingly no speed increase whatsoever.
I have 2 HDDs. In XP (SP3) power management, I set to switch off the HDDs after 2 hours of inactivity.
When I'm using AHCI, the 2nd HDD never goes to sleep, EVER, if the first one isn't already asleep.
With the same power management settings under IDE, no problem, 2nd HDD goes to sleep after desired time alright even if first HDD keeps being active.
Btw, going back to IDE is easy as hell, just swith back to IDE in BIOS, reboot and all is fine.
If you're sure you won't be ever going back to AHCI you can remove the intel matrix storage manager driver (iaStor)
Later,

TSR

I've had the same experiences with vista as well as xp 64. However, once i installed proper drivers, the hdd sleep bug went away. I think its more work to have it installed as starting other things from cd/dvd that does have its own ahci drivers on media will not recognize drives. Its more hazzle then its worth for performance, and there is very neglible gain at _best_.

BlueNeon

BlueNeon
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08
Hi Everyone!

I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3 Rev1.0 (ICH9) motherboard with a SATAII HDD and I use Vista 32-bit. But I CANNOT activate the AHCI features, such as NCQ.
I know that Vista supports AHCI out of the box.
When I tried to install Vista in AHCI mode:
- Vista saw my HDD and started install itself
- after about 5 minutes the intallation stopped (no BSOD, no error message, just stopped)
So I could install it in IDE-emulate mode. After the installation I switched to AHCI and then BSOD under startup.
So I did these instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
Now I can use Vista in AHCI mode but I DON'T use the AHCI features (NCQ, hot-plugging) and the speed is a bit slower than before...

Can someone give me any suggestion?

Thx in advance!

Rackman

Rackman
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 30-May 08
It works very well on a Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G !
Thank you.
Rackman
France (Toulouse)

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

GroupPolicy Tattoo Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • Joined 21-April 05
Interesting... Has anyone ever tried implanting Msahci.sys onto XP? I would take a look at it, but don't have enough knowledge... (and Vista, too).

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi, 31 May 2008 - 09:44 AM.

Octopuss

Octopuss

I am the walrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Joined 31-January 07

Donator

I've had the same experiences with vista as well as xp 64. However, once i installed proper drivers, the hdd sleep bug went away. I think its more work to have it installed as starting other things from cd/dvd that does have its own ahci drivers on media will not recognize drives. Its more hazzle then its worth for performance, and there is very neglible gain at _best_.

This is interesting. I thought running the drive in native mode would benefit at least a LITTLE bit...

Edited by Octopuss, 31 May 2008 - 01:32 PM.

Rackman

Rackman
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 30-May 08

It works very well on a Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G !
Thank you.
Rackman
France (Toulouse)

XP pro SP2

Edited by Rackman, 31 May 2008 - 04:07 PM.

captainvideo

captainvideo
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 28-February 08

Later,

TSR

I am currently running the modified driver.
For the last two days, I have been fooling with making bootable cd's and bootable USB. These devices do not have the drivers for the harddrive in ahci so they either crash or just do not see the hard drive. (I had enough trouble just getting the usb image to work at all, so I have not tried to add in the hacked driver).

So I decided to revert back to IDE mode, but when I set the bios back, all I got was the BSOD/stop screen, at about the point where it should be loading the desktop. (this is booting from the normally working harddrive not usb or cd) I didnt try anything else yet, like removing the HD or controller devices from the device manager, or seeing if i can roll back a driver. I dont want to get myself into a situation that I cannot boot the drive at all. I set it back to ahci and it boots fine, but for now I am stuck in ahci.

I thought I did get it to revert back on the first day, but it is not working for me now.
So for me at least, going back was not 'easy as hell'. GA-P35-S3G. maybe I will try it another day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users