How to change XP product key?

98 Guy

I've tried modifying this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents

(ODBETimer binary value)

and then running this command:

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe /a

and I've even deleted the value and then the key, but in every case the WPA product activation window just says that XP has already been activated.

I've run the magic jellybean kf151.exe and something called xppid.exe and have entered another product key, and both of those come back and say the new key wasn't accepted.

This is what I'm trying to do:

I have an existing hard drive with XP-pro (sp2, OEM system-builder version) and I've cloned it to a second drive. I want to install the second drive into a second computer with the same motherboard as the first system. The second system has enough different parts (CPU, memory, optical drive, MAC address) that XP on the second drive will invalidate itself when installed and started on the second system, and it will attempt to re-validate itself on the new hardware.

I've run into this before, and have seen the clone validate itself just fine - without asking me if I want to change the product key first. What I want to do in this case is change the product key BEFORE moving the clone drive to the second system.

I have 2 legit copies of XP-pro Sp2 (OEM system-builder versions) so I'm not trying to use the same key on 2 systems.

I noticed that some methods say to attempt a telephone validation, in which case you will get a screen allowing you to enter a product key. Will I get such a screen if I just go ahead and start the cloned drive in the second system?

If I somehow get the clone to validate itself with the 2'nd key, will it have any memory of the first (original) key?

Will MS somehow end up knowing that a system that previously had key#1 was modified to use key #2?

This is a bit different from what you want to do probably but i figured i would share this is for xp corp in way but might work i use this guide for doing my stuff its http://www.uea.ac.uk/itcs/software/xp/xp-sysprep.html i create xp images via this um to 7 gb is how big i have gone for an image and has worked perfectly all of the time as long as you follow the guide. this isn't a change the xp key because i found that this is a nice work around for most everything i do.

All the tools I found on the Internet did not work when I tried to change the CDKey from a blacklisted corp key to a Dell OEM CDKey. Laptop drive crashed :(

Any ideas?

(we do not have the original windows cd, and we can't find any Dell CD, probably lost or not given, but the oem cdkey is on the bottom of the laptop)

All the tools I found on the Internet did not work when I tried to change the CDKey from a blacklisted corp key to a Dell OEM CDKey. Laptop drive crashed :(

Any ideas?

(we do not have the original windows cd, and we can't find any Dell CD, probably lost or not given, but the oem cdkey is on the bottom of the laptop)

Contact DELL for a replacement CD-ROM. They should supply you with one for free or for a very small amount to cover postage. As Kelsenellenelvian mentioned above, corporate editions and OEM editions are different.

XP OEM CDs get redone every now and then. We recently encountered one of these changes when a new "Version" came out. It was the same CD, which was SP2 2002 version but the COA was a little different. We couldn't use the new COA on the "old" OEM CD and vice versa. We didn't realise this at first and decided to defect out a copy of Windows where we took the new CD out and put one of the old ones in. They are exactly the same and have the same part numbers and everything, but their crypto is different so you can't interchange the numbers. So we have to write the date on the new CD with a sharpie so we don't throw it out!

I've run the magic jellybean kf151.exe and something called xppid.exe and have entered another product key, and both of those come back and say the new key wasn't accepted.

It uses the VBScript from Microsoft that only knows how to change VLK -> VLK. KeyUpdateTool can change VLK -> Pro Retail and possibly more.

If I somehow get the clone to validate itself with the 2'nd key, will it have any memory of the first (original) key?

Will MS somehow end up knowing that a system that previously had key#1 was modified to use key #2?

The most obvious place the old key will be found is in keys found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA.

All the tools I found on the Internet did not work when I tried to change the CDKey from a blacklisted corp key to a Dell OEM CDKey

If you have a Dell you don't want to use the key on the bottom.

They are exactly the same and have the same part numbers and everything, but their crypto is different so you can't interchange the numbers. So we have to write the date on the new CD with a sharpie so we don't throw it out!

That sounds like XP Pro SP2c.