dencorso, on Apr 3 2008, 06:44 PM, said:
xrayer, on Apr 3 2008, 11:18 AM, said:
dencorso, on Apr 3 2008, 02:32 AM, said:
BTW, you meant to write: "c:\dos\xmsdsk.exe 850000 z: /c1 /y" right?
No, /c1 parameter only set cluster size I don't care about it let it set automatically. Parameter /t is important.
Well, I think you didn't get my point...
I can run XMSDSK with or without the /T switch, and Win 98SE doesn't care. Older versions of Win refused to run without the /T parameter (which loads XMSDSK at the top of XMS, as farther away from HMA as possible), for sure. As I said, Win 98SE does not care whether XMSDSK is at the top or at the bottom (close to the HMA) of XMS, in my experience, so the /T parameter in not fundamental anymore. However, there is a legend that XMSDSK has a bug that prevents it from loading at the top with 2 GB or more of RAM. Since you are able to load and run XMSDSK OK, having 2 GB of RAM, you either demonstrated it is just a baseless legend, or, more probably, have found out yet another strange quirk related to HYMEM.SYS, for it works for you but you are using HIMEMX.EXE. Curiouser and curioser...
1) I have 2Gb of RAM, of which 1150.0 MB are available as per System Properties WITHOUT xmsdsk.exe, io.sys patched with w98iopat.exe (many thanks to xrayer!)
device=c:\...\himem.exe /MAX=1178624 /NUMHANDLES=64 /VERBOSE
The parameters are a modification of xrayer's
device=c:\...\himem.exe /MAX=1048576 /NUMHANDLES=64 /VERBOSE
PCI-graphics card (NO AGP aperture)
When I run with C:\...\xmsdsk.exe 524288 z: /c1 /t /y in autoexec.bat, a RAMdisk z: of 512MB is created, BUT
System Properties now shows ONLY
640.0MB RAM (before: 1150.0MB)
With xrayer's parameters I had pre-RAMdisk 1022.0MB, post-RAMdisk only 513.0MB
The /t switch appearantly did NOT work for me - maybe because I use an AGP card? (xrayer uses a PCI graphics card)
The readme.txt of xmsdsk says about the /t switch:
"Parameter /t can be used to tell the driver to allocate XMS memory from the top addresses instead of lower ones. Some machines under Win95 hang up when there's no free memory under 16 MBytes. It can be used too if you have problem playing sounds under Windows. These 2 issues seem to be related to DMA buffering."
Any idea of how to set the parameters with a 64MB AGP aperture?
2) After setting the swapfile to RAMdrive z: with PagingDrive=Z: I got shutdown problems:
- Win98SE hangs after selecting either Shut Down, Restart or Restart in MS-DOS mode, with a blinking cursor on a black screen
- the selection Standby is not displayed in the Shut Down Windows menu anymore
xrayer possibly didn't notice, since the GeForce driver series 80 always has shutdown problems anyway with newer GeForce cards
3) I have seen in several system.ini files here the use of ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1. Does this really do anything under Win98SE? Microsoft only lists Windows 98 Standard Edition, NOT Windows Second Edition http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223294
4) Has anybody tried any memory defragmentation software with 2GB RAM plus io.sys patched with w98iopat.exe, plus xmsdsk, plus swapfile location=ramdisk, with AGP vs PCI graphics card?