So where do i start with all these updates?

davo123

I've just got myself a msi kt3 ultra2 mobo with an amd athlon xp 3000+ cpu, voodoo 5500, 512mb of ram, and i want to put windows 98 se on it for all the old games that don't work (or work bad) on windows xp (i have an amd athlon 64 x2 4200+ for all the new stuff). I've read through all the lists of updates and hotfixes and all the rest, but there is just too much information it scares me :wacko: . I need someone to give me a step by step instruction on installing 98 se and updating it to the very latest fixes and things that are available. Thank you :hello:

Edited by davo123

Hi!

try this for installation:

http://www.windows98.windowsreinstall.com/...NSTALL%20GUIDES

and for the updates use AutoPatcher for 98SE

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=80800

as far as i know you can't install 98 on 512mb of ram, so it would be good to take a stick out install then put it back in

theres a patch i think, but you'll have to ask someone else

There is also soporific's UBCD - Unattended Boot CD

It already contains most updates contained in the Autopatcher. UBCD is an off-shoot and does it all automagically. Most (if not all) updates were derived from MSFN member's various projects/collections. FWIW, it very well could have all the drivers you need for your hardware (I think it does). AutoPatcher has a lot of extras as well (you run it after a clean/UBCD install). Go look-see ;)

Edited by submix8c

Ok, thank you all for your help, i've got windows 98se installed now and i've put the unofficial sp v2.1a on it and that's pretty much all right now, i think after i've downloaded the autopatcher i'll just reinstall windows (it takes only like 10 mins anyway :D)

EDIT:

Would it be a better idea to reinstall windows with the Unattended Boot CD and then use the AutoPatcher, or after using the AutoPatcher on my normal Windows 98SE CD i just install the drivers like normal?

Edited by davo123

Ok, thank you all for your help, i've got windows 98se installed now and i've put the unofficial sp v2.1a on it and that's pretty much all right now, i think after i've downloaded the autopatcher i'll just reinstall windows (it takes only like 10 mins anyway :D)

EDIT:

Would it be a better idea to reinstall windows with the Unattended Boot CD and then use the AutoPatcher, or after using the AutoPatcher on my normal Windows 98SE CD i just install the drivers like normal?

You will get basically the same result. Doing it with UBCD means its one less step. Since you have to 'make' your own UBCD, using AP after installing with a standard Windows 98 SE cd is the easiest way.

if the updates are still on M$ update, I always started with the oldest ones, 3 or 4 at a time, and rebooted everytime.

I was very methodical with 98SE, BTW what MOBO do you have the X2 4200+ on?