Overclocking Problems

slipk487

I have and ASUS A8N-E mobo and a Opteron. the problem is windows reports im running at 2.02GHz(10x202). But my bios reports that it is 2.2GHz. I set the HT down to 4, ram down to 333MHZ, multiplier at 10, and clock at 220MHz. 2.2GHz=220x10.

i know before when i was messing around with overclocking that it worked find but decided not to overclock. now i cant get windows to notice it. i have verified that when i shutdown the comp and cold start it that the bios has the same settings.

ive checked it with cpuz, everest, and dsl. all show it at 2015MHz but my bios is showing it at 2.2GHz.

Edit

CPU-Z does show that i lowered the HT down to 800Hz

Edited by slipk487

rest the bios. bios shows its at 2000MHz. 10x Multiplier bus speed 200MHz and HT at x5. when i booted back into windows it is still showing that its a 10x Multiplier with a bus speed of 201MHz=2015Hz or 2.01GHz. i cant seem to figure out why the settings are showing up in windows or anything else besides the bios. i think i saw a new bios update. ill grab that update and see if anything happens after i update.

edit

just got done flashing the bios. even told it to load the defaults when flashing and it still have the same settings.

Edited by slipk487

that's normal actually...

my default clock of amd 3800+ is 2000mhz

overclock in bios is 340 X 10 so = 3400MHZ

in windows shows as 3406MHZ ....

this is because u can't see the real clock in bios... something like

bios show 340 x 10 but the real number behind the clock is

340.05 x 10 ....

something like that... and it depent on board design and bios ....

sorry if i understand wrongly about your post anyway

if u are saying the overclocking setting keep stuck in bios... i just suggest u do remove the battery of motherboard a while ... and put it back...

if u install the overclock utility from board maker in the windows... it will auto clock for u when entering windows and it keep change the bios value.......

maybe that is the problem...

Edited by cyberloner

i have the newest opetron driver and cool and quiet is disabled. everytime i try to OC it the bios will show everything i set but cpuz shows no change in bus speed. maybe ill try and lower the multiplier down to 9 and see if windows shows it underclocked. i know that cpuz picks up the fact that i lowered HT.

Edited by slipk487

dropped the multiplier down to 9 and now cpu-z show 1809MHz im going to try messing with the bus speed again.

edit

bus speed refuses to change. in my bios right now its a bus speed of 220 x 9= 1980 MHz, cpu-z shows 201.5 x 9=1813 MHz.

Edited by slipk487

i decided im just not going to worry about it. i just decided that im going to wait till i get a new system. just need to save for it.

so far i have picked

ASUS M2N-SLI nForce 570

Althlon X2 5000+ Black Edition

Mushkin 2x1GB

from what i read at Toms Hardware the Black Edition was able to go up to 3.10GHz at stock volts from the standard 2.6GHz.

Edited by slipk487