Can some explain $winnt$.inf

It's the same file. It's copied to the hard drive because some windows components only read the unattend settings after setup. The product key should be removed from the answer file.

-gosh

Thanks for the info, but the information seems a little incomplete,

I was more hoping to know when the file is copied, is it in the text mode setup or at T39?

Also it doesn't seem to be just a copy since there are additional entries in the file such as;

floppylessbootpath=no

producttype=winnt

standardserverupgrade=no

winntupgrade=no

win9xupgrade=no

win31upgrade=no

Which were not in my winnt.sif file, and i can find no mention of these commands and by what process is the winnt.sif transformend to $winnt$.inf?

Also according to this article;

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserve...3.mspx?mfr=true

It seems that the setup is reading information from the $winnt$.inf on the hard drive and not winnt.sif on the CD?

@Neo

While i do appreciate for your input, i can assure you that i spend sufficent time researching a question before i would post it in the forum, hense just posting a link to the main guide does not really help because there is no reference to $winnt$.inf in the guide, and i was NOT asking for an explination of winnt.sif, which i am familiar enough with and believe that you might have misinterpted my question.

thanks

OK OK Calm down now!

As far as I understand it is a file generated by UA windows installs to leave a record of the install process. I have only actually seen it a couple of times and each time i simply deleted it and paid it no futher mind.

OH look at that i have one :D Yup exactly what I said a copy of the winnt.sif file and a record of the install process.

@Neo

While i do appreciate for your input, i can assure you that i spend sufficent time researching a question before i would post it in the forum, hense just posting a link to the main guide does not really help because there is no reference to $winnt$.inf in the guide, and i was NOT asking for an explination of winnt.sif, which i am familiar enough with and believe that you might have misinterpted my question.

Oophhss..Sorry !

Sorry for barking

I'm an a** sometimes - one of those days where 3 hours on google led in a big circle

I still have a feeling that $winnt$.inf is a little bit more than just a copy of winnt.sif

I think that there are some more controls that are perhaps added to it once it is copied to the hard drive.

It would probably take some more research that i don't have time for now, but i have the essential info

Thanks again :hello: