Service Pack 2 installation problem

unklefunk

I have recently had to format my hard drive & re install XP Home edition......i also downloaded sp2 from microsoft.com>

However when trying to install sp2 it gets so far as to check for space for uninstall files then it stops and i get this box pop up

sp2.jpg

I have at least 4 gigs free on the drive im installing too.ive also tried it on a removable hard drive with at least 50 gigs free & get the same message regardless of where i try and install it...i have browsed the xp forum and did find some information on using the xpsp2.exe /n method but this did not solve the problem. I'm at my wits end with this.thanks for taking the time to read this....i have tried installing from both downloaded file & cd

Ok use winrar and manually extract the sp (Right click on it) then goto i386->update->Update.exe and run it. This *should* fix your problem.

P.S. If you have the time and the resources making a slipstreamed disk is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

P.P.S. Welcome to MSFN!!!

Your System Drive D: have not sufficient space for installation of Windows XP SP2.

Use Disk Clean up n Clean System Restore data and free some space and then try....otherwise....slipstream SP2 into your Windows XP installation source and make bootable disk and then perform clean installation.

Thanks for the welcome And thanks for the replies :) i tried the winrar solution first but no joy...i also cleaned up disk space etc.still no joy.i will have a look at the slipstream option.im not so good with computers though lol.thanks again guys

Edited by unklefunk

D:\ is where the uninstall information for the service pack is pointing. Where is your Windows install? D as well or is it on C? How is the space on drive C? Have you tried running disk check against all your hard drives? Do that by running "chkdsk c: /f" (no quotes) on a command line. C: is the drive you want to run it on, so you can reissue the command for D: and however many drives you have.

Then try to claim more space. Remember two things:

1) Files are measured by byte size, but are stored in sectors on drives. That means you can have a 1 byte file that in reality takes up 4,096 bytes (or whatever the allocation is per sector). As a result, you can have a ton of very small files on the drive taking up the whole thing and have reported a lot of space remaining.

2) There can be other things going on, too (the chkdsk thing, ADS, system restore taking up a lot of space - try disabling that).

Have you tried to install SP2 using the /n switch this tells it not to back up files for the uninstall.

Here is a list of switches that can be used on SP2

---------------------------
Service Pack 2 Setup
---------------------------
AVAILABLE SWITCHES:
[/help] [/quiet] [/passive] [/uninstall] [/norestart] [/forcerestart] [/l] [/n] [/o] [/f] [/integrate:] [/d:]

/help Displays this message

SETUP MODES

/quiet Quiet mode (no user interaction or display)
/passive Unattended mode (progress bar only)
/uninstall Uninstalls the package

RESTART OPTIONS

/norestart Do not restart when installation is complete
/forcerestart Restart after installation

SPECIAL OPTIONS

/l Lists installed Windows hotfixes or update packages
/o Overwrite OEM files without prompting
/n Do not backup files needed for uninstall
/f Force other programs to close when the computer shuts down
/integrate:<path> Integrate this software update into the folder located at <path>
/d:<path> Back up files into <path>

Here is a vbs file for you to try to install SP2, place this file in the same folder as sp2.

Save As Sp2_Install.vbs

Dim Fso :Set Fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim Act :Set Act = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
Dim D1, D2
Set D1 = Fso.GetFolder(Fso.GetParentFolderName(WScript.ScriptFullName))
'-> Collect All Files In Folder
For Each D2 In D1.Files
'-> Filter Out All Files Except Service Pack 2
If InStr(D2.Name,"835935") Then
Act.Run(D2.Name & " /passive /forcerestart /n /f"),1,True
Act.Popup "Service Pack 2 has been installed",7,"SP2 Finished",4128
End If
Next

ive run chkdsk on both drives and tried installing with system restore turned off on both drives.still no luck.....i have noticed this though

untitledcopy.jpg

this is described as "SPECIFIES THE AMOUNT OF FREE SPACE ON THE DISK" seeing as it it says 0MB for both of my drives.could this be the problem?? and if so how do i rectify it?