Access Rights

ebouza

Good afternoon to all,

I would like to know how I can restrict users from accessing our IT folder, but still have administrators access it when we are working from the end users computer. Thenk you in advance for any help.

Erick B

If the folder is on a share, modify the NTFS security permissions so that only administrators and system have access to the folder itself, and make sure the share permissions on the folder are Everyone > Full Control. If you're on a machine where the end-user is logged on, however, you'll need to map a drive to the server and share and use the admin creds though, as otherwise the box will try to access the server with the creds of the currently-logged on (non admin) user.

Cluberti

Thank you for your fast response I am going to give that a shot. I don't have a problem with mapping to the drive if I need to, at least now I know only admins can get to that IT share. Thanks once again.

Erick B

Cluberti,

I tried your suggestion and I am able to map to it but when I try to access it, it does not allow me access. How can I open the mapped drive using admin creds? I have tried right clicking on the the mapped drive to see if there was a "run as" but there is not. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Erick B

When you map a drive, you should really use the command prompt and the net use comand, something like "net use \\computername\sharename /user:domain\username". That'll prompt for a password for "domain\username", and then things will work once the password is provided. If you map a drive using the GUI, you'll end up using the current logged-on user's rights, which won't work.