DriverForge v5.0! - An Automatic Driver Installer

kickarse

Is it just the image Amalux?

AFAIK but haven't fully tested; at times, dbl-clicking the .exe wouldn't produce a ui but I can't reproduce that now. Again, the only way (for others) to test this is if they have never had any earlier version installed. If installing 4.3 or 4.4 they get an image in the ui, then something else is at work here. I test this by restoring my HDD to a point previous to any DF install ;)

Edited by amalux

Perhaps I can integrate the Hwpnp utility for PE type installs?? Does anyone have a link to this?

Ed. Never mind I found it... I hope it's ok with Paraglider...

I'm going to write my app to use this program instead. Not only does it make my program faster but it also makes it smaller. We'll see I guess.

I decide it is better to write here.

as far as i understand,

* amulux wrote things to add driver to the existing os on harddisk by using pe environment with DriverForge.

* I do things to add driver to the existing pe in the pe environment with DriverForge.

NO need to add hwpnp to your app for pe, and there can be other utilites/methods to search and add device to different "pe1 os"'s (ex: in livexp there is no hwpnp but livexp already searchs for hardware and add if needed (i am new with livexp, i dont know how yet)).

But maybe you can use hwpnp to search for undefined drivers and add only the required files to os (as an option)???

example: DriverForge extract or look in and take hwids maybe in the drivers, hwpnp search for needed drivers in the environment, Driver forge extract only the needed ones.

i still have tests/trials, i wrote my foundings in bootland 'cause i couldnt make it work with the way i use using livexp yet.

amulux:

i had no problems in using driverforge4.4 in my os, also i tried on vmware/xp32 to make first time test, and it worked immediately.

But i remembered sth, at some point driverforge4.4 didnt work once when i wanted to see the gui of it (i double click on it (3 or 5 times) but it didnt work and i didnt see it on taskmanager too), i had things to do and after a while it worked nicely, but i cant remember when/how/why, and never happened again yet.

amulux:

i had no problems in using driverforge4.4 in my os, also i tried on vmware/xp32 to make first time test, and it worked immediately.

Did you have any previous DF install (even if 'uninstalled') when you tested 4.4? Did you see the 'header art' image in the UI? Did you get any kind of 'Security warning' - 'Run' prompt?

But i remembered sth, at some point driverforge4.4 didnt work once when i wanted to see the gui of it (i double click on it (3 or 5 times) but it didnt work and i didnt see it on taskmanager too), i had things to do and after a while it worked nicely, but i cant remember when/how/why, and never happened again yet.

Same thing happened for me but can't reproduce this behavior. All other functions of the app seem to work fine other than those mentioned above.

kickarse is working on a new update to address these issues and add additional options :thumbup

Edited by amalux

Did you have any previous DF install (even if 'uninstalled') when you tested 4.4? Did you see the 'header art' image in the UI? Did you get any kind of 'Security warning' - 'Run' prompt?

Same thing happened for me but can't reproduce this behavior. All other functions of the app seem to work fine other than those mentioned above.

kickarse is working on a new update to address these issues and add additional options :thumbup

no i had never used or uninstalled DF install, v44 is the first one i use.

But here is a funny thing, before posting this message, i doubleclick on driverforge.exe again and vala, it didnt open. (tried many times with double clicking DriverForge.exe)

i put it in E:\1 folder with a name DriverForge.exe, and no it didnt open.

i also observed taskmanager, in taskm, DriverForge.exe shows up for a second (or less) and disappears.

BUT

as my main purpose is using this utility in livexp/bartpe, there never a problem like that yet. (i made many many test with them), this only happens when using my os. Maybe this bugy is about 2003x64 i am using so sometimes it works in 2003x64 and sometimes it doesnt work. (ps: i know this is not for x64 environment, i double click it just to see gui)

if i find a method to reproduce the problem, i will inform.

hahaha, at the end of this message, before i press send, i double click on DriverForge.exe and it started (driverforge.ini was deleted in previous trials) :rolleyes: .

for a solution lets say, if it doesnt start, delete driverforge.ini (maybe not necessary) and deal with other things for a while, than try to start DriverForge.exe again. :thumbup

no i had never used or uninstalled DF install, v44 is the first one i use.

But here is a funny thing, before posting this message, i doubleclick on driverforge.exe again and vala, it didnt open. (tried many times with double clicking DriverForge.exe)

i put it in E:\1 folder with a name DriverForge.exe, and no it didnt open.

i also observed taskmanager, in taskm, DriverForge.exe shows up for a second (or less) and disappears.

BUT

as my main purpose is using this utility in livexp/bartpe, there never a problem like that yet. (i made many many test with them), this only happens when using my os. Maybe this bugy is about 2003x64 i am using so sometimes it works in 2003x64 and sometimes it doesnt work. (ps: i know this is not for x64 environment, i double click it just to see gui)

if i find a method to reproduce the problem, i will inform.

hahaha, at the end of this message, before i press send, i double click on DriverForge.exe and it started (driverforge.ini was deleted in previous trials) :rolleyes: .

for a solution lets say, if it doesnt start, delete driverforge.ini (maybe not necessary) and deal with other things for a while, than try to start DriverForge.exe again. :thumbup

Every once in a while it doesn't unload itself properly from memory and I don't know why. Amalux has the link to the new test version. If you want it Lance let me know. I haven't tested in x64 or 2003 so I'm unsure as to what processes are crashing. We'll see if I can change this error checking code I have that checks to see if it's already running. That seems to have been the issue in previous versions with it not starting up again.

A couple things 7zLoc and DriverExtract are now called Compressed_Driver_Location and Uncompressed_Driver_Location, so 7zloc and Driverextract won't work in versions coming. Both can use CD\ to specify the current folder DriverForge is being run from. The Uncompressed_Driver_Location can use option None to specify no driverpacks.

The new option is to use Windows native installation process using syssetup.dll or use HWPNP. It's possible I have a HWPnP command line error. Update_All_Hardware is now Use_Windows_Method_For_Driver_Install, setting Y or N.

I'm working on v4.4.4 so I'll turn that error checking off. I've also updated the changelog.

Is there something that clicks automatically on 'Start' to launch the install of drivers?

Yes in the INI file you can edit the Automatic_Install to Y under the section AutoInstall.

So basically get your settings all the way you want it via the gui and then click on the Menu "INI File" > "Save INI" then "Edit INI". Edit it the way I said and then save and close the INI file (which opened in your text editor). Close out of DriverForge and the next time you run it it will install everything with the settings you chose automatically.

Edited by kickarse

Is there something that clicks automatically on 'Start' to launch the install of drivers?

Yes in the INI file you can edit the Automatic_Install to Y under the section AutoInstall.

So basically get your settings all the way you want it via the gui and then click on the Menu "INI File" > "Save INI" then "Edit INI". Edit it the way I said and then save and close the INI file (which opened in your text editor). Close out of DriverForge and the next time you run it it will install everything with the settings you chose automatically.

Stupid question from me, I did the change already

HWPNP and Devcon doesn't work for me so it's using the windows native mode and there I sometimes have to click 'Continue Anyway' when the driver isn't signed. :wacko:

picpostdriversvp3.jpg

Edited by Kingskawn

Stupid question from me, I did the change already

HWPNP and Devcon doesn't work for me so it's using the windows native mode and there I sometimes have to click 'Continue Anyway' when the driver isn't signed. :wacko:

picpostdriversvp3.jpg

Ahh... There's a program that should be running to turn that off. I guess it didn't. I'll see about that in the next version! Thanks for the update!

Hi,

I wondered if anyone can help. I've just stumbled onto this tool and it looks quite handy. I have two questions, if this is the wrong post I apologise and if these questions have come up before please forgive me as I am a noobie:

1. Does the tool (with the driverpacks) work under Windows 2000? The reason I ask is whenever I run the tool it doesn't seem to update / install any drivers.

2. When I run the tool it extracts all the drivers and then demonstrates the follwoing error:

"Error in Syssetup.dll"

"Missing entry:UpdatePnpDeviceDrivers"

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

error1.bmp

Hi,

I wondered if anyone can help. I've just stumbled onto this tool and it looks quite handy. I have two questions, if this is the wrong post I apologise and if these questions have come up before please forgive me as I am a noobie:

1. Does the tool (with the driverpacks) work under Windows 2000? The reason I ask is whenever I run the tool it doesn't seem to update / install any drivers.

2. When I run the tool it extracts all the drivers and then demonstrates the follwoing error:

"Error in Syssetup.dll"

"Missing entry:UpdatePnpDeviceDrivers"

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

It doesn't seem to work in 2000 in it's current state. I'm working on that. It does say in the notes that I've only tested it on XP.

Are you looking for a resolution for the problem 'Continue anyway'?

My life is busy. But I am working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi kickarse,

Universal path name (like \\server\drivers) No longer work in v4.5, it was working in v4.1.2

[Drivers]

Compressed_Driver_Location=\\server\drivers

Uncompressed_Driver_Location=C:\Drivers

to go roung i have to create a batch file like this within same folder

@ECHO OFF

::This should be the path to WPI on the share

SET SHARE=\\server\drivers\

::mount share to a free drive and change directory to it. After Script it finished the drive will be unmounted

PUSHD "%SHARE%"

Start /Wait \DriverInstaller\driverforge.v4.5.exe

POPD