I have a sysprep image with drivers integrated but for some pcs it won't install some drivers. I thought I could use this for a post-installation of missing drivers but how can I integrate this in my script? Can it be done like this?
So in my script I put the link for the .exe with a UNC path to the folder where all the drivers are?
This has happened to me on multiple computers when trying Driverforge. It will recognize 2 monitors, and not install drivers for either of them. Then it will also recognize anywhere from 2 to 10 unknown devices. When you plug in a USB thumb drive, it won't be able to find drivers for it. I figured out how to fix this last problem by pointing it to C:\WINDOWS\inf, thanks to previous post. But any idea why these other problems happen? This is on multiple brands, laptop and desktop, about 30% of the time. Right now I'm looking at a laptop where the device manager lists 3 (Three) LGPhilips DVD burners with yellow question marks, plus 2 unknown devices underneath. There's only one drive, of course. Fixing these driver errors takes much more time than just downloading the correct drivers from the OEM site in the first place, but this program has so much potential to make my life wonderful!
Thanks for your work so far! I definitely second replacing the driver location to %SYSTEMROOT%/inf so that future devices can plug and play.
are you using sysprep ? or are you deleting the drivers folders ?
are you deleting the drivers, or are they accessed through the network before sysprepping ?
the issue here is very "simple" or at least straightforward
when running the sysprep all the drivers are "cleaned" and when restarting the computer it goes through a discovery phase.
most of the drivers would work, but unfortunately due to the way the driver inf are built sometimes some leftover are included in the registry pointing to the "uncompressed" driver files.
I have face this type of issue. and it has nothing to do with driverforge.
my way of dealing with that is as follow :
after driverforge running (and I do not delete the drivers in the program) I run a script that I did build:
- it simply check (using devcon) for the existence of specific hardware that I have tested to create this problem,
- copy the drivers in a local directory
- modify the registry accordingly to make sure next time it will look for the correct location
- delete the uncompressed driver folders.
this way I minimize the amount of drivers kept locally on the computer, and through this I minimize the size of the image.
how do I find the problematic drivers ? well simply by testing. so the first computer of a type that I create brings up the errors...
afterword it is easy to deal with.
how hard does it go.. well it ends up being pretty fast, and you will notice that very often it is the same drivers that are creating problems, in my case solving 1 network driver solved the issue for 4 different type of computer.
I am looking into a more systemic solution that we could use in coordination with driverforge :
a pre-script that would delete all the unneeded folder, thus by simply choosing not to delete the drivers after running driverforge we should not face the problem again.
but I have to really dig into that as it really depends on the way the drivers are structured.
if I end up finding any constructive way to do it I will share my findings with kickarse so we could see whether he want to include it in his soft or prefers to keep it outside. do not expect any update in a short period of time as I have a ton of things to do first.
anyway if anyone need help on how to manually do it, or want a copy of my script let me know, it is a first step...