98se machine crash, need help fixing it!

Hey all!

I've been using 9x for a long time, and never experienced anything like this before. One day, I boot it up, runs fine, has RP7 and numerous other updates, but I noticed that I was running low on memory. So I uninstall a few old games that I don't use anymore. Next time I boot up, it loads the background, but then says that MSVCRT.DLL, powerprof.dll, and shldll.dll are missing, and it stops the boot up process! I press Ctrl + Alt + Del and try to manually start up explorer.exe, and it gives me those messages again! I never touched those dlls when I got rid of stuff, but when I booted it up in live puppy linux, sure enough, they were gone! I can't just put the dll's back because there is no way to copy them off of cd with linux already in the drive, so I'm guessing I'll probably have to reinstall windows from DOS. But I can't seem to just run the setup on the windows 98 CD...

In short, can anyone tell me how to reinstall Windows 98 from DOS, or upload the DLL's so I can copy them to the hard drive with linux?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Tarun
Fixed title to comply with forum rules.

If you can get to safe mode by pressing F5 you can run sfc.exe to extract the files.

Otherwise you're going to need to reinstall windows. It doesnt matter if you reinstall from dos or windows, 98 setup will honor the migration dll's so things such as IE shouldn't be reinstalled. You should be fine.

-gosh

Hey all!

I've been using 9x for a long time, and never experienced anything like this before. One day, I boot it up, runs fine, has RP7 and numerous other updates, but I noticed that I was running low on memory. So I uninstall a few old games that I don't use anymore. Next time I boot up, it loads the background, but then says that MSVCRT.DLL, powerprof.dll, and shldll.dll are missing, and it stops the boot up process! I press Ctrl + Alt + Del and try to manually start up explorer.exe, and it gives me those messages again! I never touched those dlls when I got rid of stuff, but when I booted it up in live puppy linux, sure enough, they were gone! I can't just put the dll's back because there is no way to copy them off of cd with linux already in the drive, so I'm guessing I'll probably have to reinstall windows from DOS. But I can't seem to just run the setup on the windows 98 CD...

In short, can anyone tell me how to reinstall Windows 98 from DOS, or upload the DLL's so I can copy them to the hard drive with linux?

Thanks in advance

In order to re-install Windows without losing the setting you already have for programs and stuff, you need to delete WIN.COM from the system directory first, before trying to start setup from DOS. If you need more info that just that, please provide more info regarding "But I can't seem to just run the setup on the windows 98 CD..." and i believe i can help.